Hi from nola!

derickyee

Hey everyone! I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Derick I'm from Michigan, but currently stationed in New Orleans with the U.S. Navy. I've been in for about 14 years now and on 10/19/2012 I just re-enlisted for 6 years which will put me at 20.

I've owned numerous of motorcycles ranging from Sportbikes to Harley Davidson's and practically, I like them both. When I first started riding, I started off with a 2001 Suzuki GSXR 600, then moved up to a 2001 Kawasaki ZX-12R (which was waaaay too much for me), then I had a 2007 Suzuki GSXR 1000, then a 2010 Harley Davidson Sportster 48, then a 2012 Harley Davidson Street Glide (which I still have and is my streetbike) and my 2006 Yamaha R1 (which is my track bike).

I have been riding for a while, but on 10/21/2012 I went to my very first track day. Of course I did the intro course and got two free sessions out of it, it was very intense! Especially not knowing what to expect on the track. It's definitely night and day when it comes to riding on the track and on the streets. I must say that I enjoyed every minute of track time that I got when I was there.

I hope to meet and see you guys at the tracks someday!

Derick

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Derick,
Welcome to NESBA shipmate! You are offically hooked...maybe we'll see you at the track next year.

US Navy
Senior Chief Retired

derickyee

Thanks Vinny! How long have you been riding? And yes.. You're right.. I am hooked! I've been telling some friends that, that is why I have two bikes. One for the track and the other one is to cruise the streets. Of course the Harley is gonna cruise the streets. It also throws me off after riding one and jumping off and getting on the other takes some getting use to that's for sure!

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
derickyee;257986 wrote: Thanks Vinny! How long have you been riding? And yes.. You're right.. I am hooked! I've been telling some friends that, that is why I have two bikes. One for the track and the other one is to cruise the streets. Of course the Harley is gonna cruise the streets. It also throws me off after riding one and jumping off and getting on the other takes some getting use to that's for sure!
I hopped on my first bike ever in Aug 2004 six months before my reitrement...lol I've been riding the track 4 years now and love it! I think your friends will understand more when they come to one of your track days...it's one of them you have to see it and sometimes do it to fully understand :cool:

derickyee

Hoo yah!

vinny337;258029 wrote: I hopped on my first bike ever in Aug 2004 six months before my reitrement...lol I've been riding the track 4 years now and love it! I think your friends will understand more when they come to one of your track days...it's one of them you have to see it and sometimes do it to fully understand :cool:
How long did it take you to get comfortable on either just one track or numerous of tracks? I do agree that if they come out to a track day they will understand it a lot more.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
derickyee;258049 wrote: How long did it take you to get comfortable on either just one track or numerous of tracks? I do agree that if they come out to a track day they will understand it a lot more.
I’ve found that you can take the basic fundamentals of riding on the track and apply it to any track you ride. You just have to learn the layout of that particular track...also it helps you become a better rider when you ride different tracks.

derickyee

vinny337;258096 wrote: I’ve found that you can take the basic fundamentals of riding on the track and apply it to any track you ride. You just have to learn the layout of that particular track...also it helps you become a better rider when you ride different tracks.
True... I've been trying to take the CR's advise and try not to be nervous on the track. But since Sunday was my very first trackday, I'll have to give it some time and more practice to get better at it.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
derickyee;258097 wrote: True... I've been trying to take the CR's advise and try not to be nervous on the track. But since Sunday was my very first trackday, I'll have to give it some time and more practice to get better at it.
They give great advice although the nervous condition is quite normal...after a couple of track days you'll feel quite comfortable. Just remember to get feedback from the Crs, always have a plan (work on body position, braking, etc) pace yourself and you will be fine....no worries.

Welcome. We met at the track Sunday. Don't let the nerves get to you. Once you've been out there another time or two you'll start feeling comfortable. Also, if you can afford to do so, I recommend you try and get to a school. I highly recommend California Superbike School, and they should be here again next year, but there are many good schools to choose from.

derickyee

bradvanhorn;258208 wrote: Welcome. We met at the track Sunday. Don't let the nerves get to you. Once you've been out there another time or two you'll start feeling comfortable. Also, if you can afford to do so, I recommend you try and get to a school. I highly recommend California Superbike School, and they should be here again next year, but there are many good schools to choose from.
Do you meet every Sunday?

Yeah, I'll need a couple or a few more times to get comfortable on the track. I would like to get a school, but with me transferring to a deployable command it'll be difficult to get time off. But maybe when I transfer from that?? Who knows.

leanangler

Control Rider
Nice to see you out there Derrick and glad to hear you had a good time. I worked with you on sunday, and could see things clicking, nicely done. Hope to see you back out on the track real soon, Barber in a couple weeks maybe?? Barber is an awesome track and that is always a very popular event, beings it is the last event of the season.
Again, great job on sunday and hope to see you out there soon.

:congrats:

derickyee

leanangler;258261 wrote: Nice to see you out there Derrick and glad to hear you had a good time. I worked with you on sunday, and could see things clicking, nicely done. Hope to see you back out on the track real soon, Barber in a couple weeks maybe?? Barber is an awesome track and that is always a very popular event, beings it is the last event of the season.

JR I wish I could make it to Barber, but I will have to miss that event. Funds are bit tight at the moment. I appreciate you helping me out with everything on the track. I still have a long way to go, but I hope to see you in more of the events when funds aren't an issue. Would like you to work with me again whenever you guys are back this way.

Illernoise

Welcome to NESBA!! Must be interesting being stationed in New Orleans. I was at Fort Polk from 02-04 and was able to go to Mardi Gras once. Interesting time indeed, hahaha.

derickyee

Illernoise;258277 wrote: Welcome to NESBA!! Must be interesting being stationed in New Orleans. I was at Fort Polk from 02-04 and was able to go to Mardi Gras once. Interesting time indeed, hahaha.
Thanks! It is pretty interesting being stationed here! Mardi Gras is fun, but it gets old after a while. I'm just glad that NOLA Motorsport Park is like 10-15 minutes from my house! LOL!! :cheers:

derickyee

leanangler;258261 wrote: Nice to see you out there Derrick and glad to hear you had a good time. I worked with you on sunday, and could see things clicking, nicely done. Hope to see you back out on the track real soon, Barber in a couple weeks maybe?? Barber is an awesome track and that is always a very popular event, beings it is the last event of the season.

I just looked at the Barber's Track Map and that track looks very fun and very fast!