High End DOT or time for slicks

domarena33

Track Day Superstar
Hey guys and gals. Ran Q5's this weekend at NCBike and burned my rear up pretty good, even with a bazazz traction control module. Im assuming the next step up in grip is slicks but I've also been eyeing the Bridgestone R11's as I'm not looking to chew through more than 1 rear a weekend.

So... Firstly, are the Q5 and R11 comparable tires?

Secondly, will a hard compound slick give me more tire life than a high-end DOT? Even if it did, now you have to be concerned about heat cycles. How many heat cycles can you really put a slick through before it goes to the junk yard?

Appreciate the knowledge. :like:

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
I found that the Q5 has a short life span. Slicks will last longer. I haven't ridden the R11 yet but YCRS just switched to Bridgestone and they have nothing but great things to say about.

jonobrin

Considering making the switch from Q5 to slicks myself. I'm sure I'll regret that the first wet track day of this year though.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Just a point of clarification. If your suspension is not dialed in for your weight and riding style, tires will wear quickly regardless of brand or type (slick or DOT). If you haven't set up your suspension, do that before wasting money on more or better tires. Also, some high end DOT's use the same compound as the slicks in the same brand. The only difference is the siping. The slicks will ultimately last a little longer because there is more rubber.

buzz-06

Just a point of clarification. If your suspension is not dialed in for your weight and riding style, tires will wear quickly regardless of brand or type (slick or DOT). If you haven't set up your suspension, do that before wasting money on more or better tires. Also, some high end DOT's use the same compound as the slicks in the same brand. The only difference is the siping. The slicks will ultimately last a little longer because there is more rubber.

Listen to this man, at one point many moons ago I was still on stock suspension and would absolutely destroy any tire I put on my bike. A proper shock and forks setup and that all stopped.

As far as heat cycles, that’s not something you really need to worry about. If you’re at a point where you think you’re ready for race tires and warmers you will wear the tire down before you heat cycle it to death.