How can I move up to the A group if I haven't ridden with NESBA for a while?

ronhix

Bucky Badger;130147 wrote: Words of Wisdom here folks....The word "fast" has different meanings to different people.
+1

Club level expert is pretty fast to a NESBA A rider, top 5 AMA is pretty fast to a club level expert, Top 5 MotoGP is way beyond the reach of all but the most elite AMA and WSBK racers.

It's all relative...

Trent1098S

Wow, how did I miss out on this thread. I'm usually one of the first casualties in flame wars because I'm so quick to jump in to the line of fire... :)

An amateur race license don't mean jack. I saw several people pass learning curves last weekend, and get their CCS license at Blackhawk who were running 2 minute plus laptimes. They people aren't quick enough for NESBA I group, let alone A group. I even lapped one guy TWICE in a 6 lap mock race!

But I'm not going to push for an A bump because of this, or any other reason. I know where my lap times are compared to mid-pack A group, and I'm still a second off where I want to be. Don't sound like much, but it is. I've also got other issues to work out, separate from lap times, that need to be addressed before I get blitzkrieged in the shark tank.

To the OP, you've got no choice but to sign up for I group, line up in front when you go out every time, and let the Intermediate captain decide your fate. Don't get too cocky though, I've met some plenty fast I group riders and you might find yourself humbled within a lap or two... I turned a 1:39.9 last time I went to Barber (shaved 4 seconds off on my second trip down south, previous best was a 1:44.0), and I still wasn't the fastest guy out there in I group.

Had I gone out in A group, a big chunk of the group would have eaten me for breakfast. I don't *WANT* a bump until I can run a solidly mid pack or better pace. One of those things I need to "address" before going up to A is passing - and I get plenty of practice at that in I group. I wouldn't get NEARLY as much practice passing in A group.

As far as incidents, red flags, etc. Man, it happens. Ride within your limits, ride within the rules, and you can find yourself comfortable AND safe in ANY group. I didn't feel uncomfortable riding on a track at Blackhawk during the licensing clinic doing laps 40 seconds
FASTER than some people.

As far as I group being dangerous, not so. I've done a lot of weekends in I group, and I've never had anyone get me in to any sort of trouble. Got MYSELF in to trouble a few times.. but never because of a direct action of someone else.

Just my .02. Not trying to be an ass. Just sayin, relax and go ride. They'll bump you when you're ready. I've seen a guy go from B to I to A once in the same damn day, so they aren't going to hold you up if you have the skill.

dlockhart5x

Trent1098S;130278 wrote: I turned a 1:39.9 last time I went to Barber (shaved 4 seconds off on my second trip down south, previous best was a 1:44.0), and I still wasn't the fastest guy out there in I group.

Had I gone out in A group, a big chunk of the group would have eaten me for breakfast. I don't *WANT* a bump until I can run a solidly mid pack or better pace. One of those things I need to "address" before going up to A is passing - and I get plenty of practice at that in I group. l.
Sub 40 would be great on a SV650 at Barber, maybe not podium, but rolling pretty good.

I loved being in I on my 250 I learned and layed on many, many outside passes, cuz with 60 hp you are never going to get anything on a straight. In A
we may catch a few slackers, but not many.

Trent1098S

dlockhart5x;130319 wrote: Sub 40 would be great on a SV650 at Barber, maybe not podium, but rolling pretty good.

I loved being in I on my 250 I learned and layed on many, many outside passes, cuz with 60 hp you are never going to get anything on a straight. In A
we may catch a few slackers, but not many.
You're killin me dude! I hate getting humbled by SV's when I'm on a superbike. A 250 though? That would probably rip any remaining ego right out of my body.

dlockhart5x

Trent1098S;130429 wrote: You're killin me dude! I hate getting humbled by SV's when I'm on a superbike. A 250 though? That would probably rip any remaining ego right out of my body.
I'll just give ya a little kick in the ankle because I'm old and that is as high as I can kick.

:nutkick:

The 250Gp record at barber is 1:32.517

The 125 Gp record is 1:34.006

The bike that set the 250 record is for sale and is currently in the UK.
scroll down to the celtic bike
http://www.rscycles.com/Bikes/customersbikes/customer.htm

The upside is these guys were/are world level riders so that benchmark is pretty high.

BrianR6

what group would a rider be in , if he is running consistent 1:32s at TBOLT with the chicane, with smooth consistent lines?

eagletangogreen

ronhix;130171 wrote: +1

Club level expert is pretty fast to a NESBA A rider, top 5 AMA is pretty fast to a club level expert, Top 5 MotoGP is way beyond the reach of all but the most elite AMA and WSBK racers.

It's all relative...
+1,000,000

There was some A riders doing some scary stuff On Sat at RA....

Putting your "pit in" hand out, and slowing down on the back straight = FAIL!!!!

The closing speeds where close to 100mph (guessing).

GO thru 10a and 10b and keep it tight into pit in.. Very easy to do and the safety factor is increased.

Slowing down on the back straight while people behind you are flat out is nor safe!!

To the OP

Look up Todd Lewis and tell him " can you ride with me, Im looking for a bump, but just to let you know Im going to walk your ass".

Luie M F'en Zendejas;)