How do you know when you are ready to follow the CR's?

TMR

I am a returning "B" level participant with no natural born ability to go fast but the desire to do so methodically and intelligently.

When the CR's go by with more speed, and I am aprehensive about following because of my own self imposed limitations, are they trying to show the speed at which a manuever can be performed? Are they trying to get me to tag on?

Does this start to happen with more seat time?

RandyO

do not think they expect you to go any faster than you are comfortable with... if you crash, they do not want to be responsible... on the other hand, I am having more fun trying to keep up now..

vanelli56

You will know when you are ready when you feel like you are ready.
What ever you do, dont ride over your head! (Otherwise you might end up, up-side-down!):doh:

If a CR does go by, and you think you can step it up a notch or two, then by all means do it. I know I feel more comfortable following a faster rider around. B/c in my mind, I know that if they can do it, I can to! :idea: (Some of the time!:notsure:)

I may not be able to keep up for ever, but that little bit of drive to step it up for a turn or two will build confidence in those areas of the track, and in turn will build in confidence in other areas also.

So all in all, dont be afraid to follow a CR with in your limits. Just stay smooth, stay in control, and have fun!

Cole

Trust the CR's.

If the CR goes by at a quicker pace, then slows and looks over their shoulder at you, taps their helmet or tail, then they definitely want to show you something. Chances are, the CR has been following you for some time and evaluating you through a section of track or the whole thing. They have the time to gauge your speed though certain turns, turn in points, your distance to the apex, body position, and how you look on the bike(i.e. tense, rigid arms, butt stuck in the center of the seat, head over the steering stem). They will then proceed to show you the apex and tow you along just a little faster each time.

Trust 'em.

If the CR blows past you and never looks back and continues on their hyper-fast way, then they are not trying to tow you.

Don't be afraid to ask for any CR's help, whether it be a tow, or a question about a certain turn, or body position. If you are out there at 110% and blowing every apex and ham-fisting the throttle and mashing brakes, don't worry, a CR will find you in the pits and have a talk with you or slash throat you in the session.

Relax, have fun and trust the CR's

krw

I find it so much easier to follow than be followed. I carry much higher speed. Just track inexperience, I guess. I'm starting to get it...slowly...

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
All the CR's are awesome at judging your pace, regardless of what it is. If one pulls in front of you, follow him/her. Chances are pretty good they were following you long enough to know your speed. They'll go just a bit faster, look back, and if you're still there, pick it up another notch. Just stay with em as best you can. They're trying to raise your comfort level, which will build speed.
I've never EVER been "held up" by a CR.

(edit: sorry. just saw Cole said everything I did only better)

Landshark

Control Rider
Few tips
Don't follow if all you see is the CR shirt flapping.
If we pass you and tap our head we want you to follow the line we are on. If we pass you and tap the tail of our bike we want you behind us. Sometimes that maybe to pull you off line. This may be to let another rider around who may be on a less powerful bike that just can't get around for whatever reason. This traffic management is a safety call. We also may tap the tail and pull you around a group that is working with another CR that you would have had to wait your turn for the waive around. Again this is just more traffic management.
Some other signals to look out for are the CR has just come around you and now is over exaggerating moving a certain body part. Like the head and shoulder away from center, knee out, butt off the seat or foot position on the pegs. The CR will look back to check you out again and may then waive you around. Another is if we pass you and motion our left hand like its twisting the throttle we are signaling to stay on the gas longer through a section rather than rolling off or coasting. At times our motions are over exaggerated for instructional purposes. Many riders think they are doing the motions correctly only to be moving an inch or so. By demonstrating a position we are encouraging you to move that much more than you already are.

Most of this stuff is covered in the beginners meetings. Sometimes they don't get mentioned as often due to whatever reason.
You should never ride at a pace that you feel is dangerous. I say dangerous because at times you may be pushing your comfort zone. There is a big difference between dangerous and uncomfortable. But also note being uncomfortable for to long can become dangerous so take it in a little bit at a time.
If you have had enough you can waive back. LOL Please use the entire hand since its difficult to see just one finger.

See ya out there.

hank

NESBA has some of the best CR's of any club you will find. Unlike other clubs, NESBA actually has standards whereas (IMO) other clubs will bump people up when they aren't ready, simply to make room in the lower groups as part of their 'throughput' feeding the machine of new riders...

I ride with several clubs and see riders with an 'I' NESBA sticker and A-level (or equivalent) stickers for the other clubs. There is a reason why NESBA has such a great reputation - they DESERVE it!

DB_ZX10r

It's amazing how fast, smooth, and comfortable our CR's are. I probably run at an upper-half "I" group pace. To be following one as you're running what I feel is a good pace and the CR in front of me has one hand on his knee as he's looking back at me, looking like he's on a sunday stroll. Quite humbling!!

Dan

jpaulsen

Cole;64756 wrote: Trust the CR's.

If the CR goes by at a quicker pace, then slows and looks over their shoulder at you, taps their helmet or tail, then they definitely want to show you something. Chances are, the CR has been following you for some time and evaluating you through a section of track or the whole thing. They have the time to gauge your speed though certain turns, turn in points, your distance to the apex, body position, and how you look on the bike(i.e. tense, rigid arms, butt stuck in the center of the seat, head over the steering stem). They will then proceed to show you the apex and tow you along just a little faster each time.

Trust 'em.

If the CR blows past you and never looks back and continues on their hyper-fast way, then they are not trying to tow you.

Don't be afraid to ask for any CR's help, whether it be a tow, or a question about a certain turn, or body position. If you are out there at 110% and blowing every apex and ham-fisting the throttle and mashing brakes, don't worry, a CR will find you in the pits and have a talk with you or slash throat you in the session.

Relax, have fun and trust the CR's
+1:agree:

Brian Laws

Cole and Troy pretty much summed it up, but I'll add one more. Don't be affraid to approach the CRs in between sessions and ask for some individual help during the next session. Unless we already have a someone lined up to work with we will be happy to go out and work with you. This allows us to start out slow and gradually pick up the pace as you feel comfortable.

Our goal is to help you have fun. Don't push the pace beyond your comfort level, but with that said, don't be affraid to explore your comfort level. See you at the track!

Domenic

Having the high quality CRs at NESBA is pretty much why I ride with NESBA. There is no way that I would have started out there on the track without good CRs making sure I don't kill myself. I try to learn from them every opportunity I get. And yes, they help me stay humble pretty often. Which is a very good thing. But I try to latch on to them on the track whenever I can.