How many laps do you race on your tires?

tankslapper

Looking for any feedback from fellow racers who like me can't afford to throw tires away early yet at the same time need them to work. I would like to think I could get about 60 laps out of a rear, which would equate to about 7 races or so, plus a few laps of practice. Our track at BIR is either 2.5 or 3 miles depending on the configuration. I have heard stories from Keith Codes race school where they are going 100s of laps at a clip not too far removed from club racing lap times. Also, any absolutes where you definitely know its time to pitch the tire or is it more personal preference.

unclejesse

One set of dunlops can last you a long time..

I have heard from a few riders that they get good lap times out of 60 lap tires on a 1000

It really depends on the brand

Best of luck

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
until I crash...then i blame the crash on the tires and get new ones. I am never the problem, it is usually something wrong with the bike :p

Suburbanrancher

I average three sprints on my rears (Honda CBR1K) before they begin to feel past their sell-by date. I can squeeze a fourth in, but the slides start to come much more readily. A front will last a solo and four sprints, no problem.

That said, the tires last much longer at a trackday pace, and I still use my takeoffs for just that.

jimgl3

lemondrop;119164 wrote: until I crash...then i blame the crash on the tires and get new ones. I am never the problem, it is usually something wrong with the bike :p
hey! i resemble that remark...

Macon663

On Bridgestone BT003s on a 08 R6, I could get 2 sprint races out of them before the performance declined considerably. At that point, I could run them for another 4 races til the tread was gone but the grip wasn't there. Generally I would switch them out after 3 races and then use them for practice only. The front is good for 7 or 8 races and is generally awesome (the type 3).

eagletangogreen

Dunlop Ntec 211 Med compound front last so long I change it cuz I feel bad.
Rears have grip till the threads, best tires in the buis..

Gorilla

Control Rider
eagletangogreen;121159 wrote: Dunlop Ntec 211 Med compound front last so long I change it cuz I feel bad.
6 hours on a front Michelin slick is all I gota say LOL

eagletangogreen

Gorilla;121160 wrote: 6 hours on a front Michelin slick is all I gota say LOL
Right we did 2 hours on a front at Roebling, and used the same front an additional 4hours last week for a total of 6 hours. 209 laps at Tally and who knows what at Roebling on one front tire...

NickMcCoy

Macon663;119195 wrote: On Bridgestone BT003s on a 08 R6, I could get 2 sprint races out of them before the performance declined considerably. At that point, I could run them for another 4 races til the tread was gone but the grip wasn't there. Generally I would switch them out after 3 races and then use them for practice only. The front is good for 7 or 8 races and is generally awesome (the type 3).
2 sprints? Damn. Have you tried Michelins? I haven't found much rear grip loss until at least 30 laps in and I've raced a set for 60 laps and only lost about a second towards the end.

Macon663

NickMcCoy;121203 wrote: 2 sprints? Damn. Have you tried Michelins? I haven't found much rear grip loss until at least 30 laps in and I've raced a set for 60 laps and only lost about a second towards the end.
I ran 2 seasons on Bridgestones and ended up going decently fast on them (17s at Summit). After a while, I figured out that the soft compound rear was better than the medium compound everywhere I went. Brand new, the outright grip was just better. But after about 2 sprint races, it would start to spin and essentially feel like a medium tire would its entire life. Its not that the tire was bad, its just that it wasn't as good. But like everything else w/ motorcycle racing, you learn to ride around it and still go fast even tho the tire is spinning, even if it doesn't "feel" as good.

As for the front, 7 or 8 sessions probably isn't fair, I just usually changed it at that point because I got nervous. But w/ the rear 7 or 8 sessions was typically the max life I could squeeze out of it if i really needed to, but last year when I was winning a lot of free tires, I never bothered.

I haven't tried Michelins but I'm going to Dunlops this year. We'll see what that is like. But yea, I hear a lot of people like what Michelin is doing.

D.Brown

eagletangogreen;121159 wrote: Dunlop Ntec 211 Med compound front last so long I change it cuz I feel bad.
I agree, the N-Tecs do last, DOTS and slicks. I always have great feel with the rear, even starting the weekend out on used tires. I can"t push the front tire out at BMP , it will spin the rear up trying to push the front, and this is with a 750!!!

Run Dunlops until you have doubts, then give them to me....

D.Brown#111

dbakerpa

tires

I feel like I have alot of good rubber left after three track days but should I be worried about my supercorsas after being in an unheated garage all winter?

headstart

dbakerpa;121334 wrote: I feel like I have alot of good rubber left after three track days but should I be worried about my supercorsas after being in an unheated garage all winter?
Just keep an eye on them and see how they look after the first session. I ran my Pirellis at Barber in November and then left them in an unheated garage in Minneapolis all winter on the bike but on front/rear stands. I used them for double sessions last weekend and they were fine.

Probably not what the tires guys would recommend doing. If they don't seem to be gripping I would change them out just to be safe.