How many of you tape over speedo.

jtsgsxr6

How many of you tape over, cover the speedo in some way?

Some say it's a distraction, I personally don't look at it very often. I only check it in a couple sections of tracks. Only one comes to mind, is coming on to the front straight at thunderbolt, I have trouble with being consistent there. Maybe I'll compare my laptimes this season with and without a speedo on board.

Blinky

I didn't like the idea at first, but I like doing it now. You can sometimes get so focused on the display instead of riding. Just tape it over and relax and enjoy the ride.

CptCurt

I tape it up. I'm too temped to look when it isn't taped. You cover alot of ground in the time it takes to glance down and look back up. You don't want to miss your braking markers /reference points because turn one comes up real fast!:wow:

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
I can honestly say I've never looked at the speedo. I occasionally glance down for the gear indicator if I get lost. The only speed I'm ever curious about is at the end of the main straight, and I just use the "top speed recall" button. (When I get back to my pit).

jtsgsxr6

I will probably end up taping it most of the time, however I like to use on board video, with my speedo in the shot, to help review my laps. Sorta like data acquisition, I'll just untape it when I do that and hopefully i will just forget it's there.

beac83

I don't tape it, and only rarely look at it, usually after something in a turn has gone very different than the last lap - and then it's an apex glance. Looking at the speedo is no different than looking at the tach IMO. You really shouldn't look at it too much, but it's a reference tool, and if you run a cam, it's nice to have that data in the shot.

I ran two track days without any gauges last year (needed a new stay) and didn't really miss them.

My feeling is that if you can't control the urge to look at the speedo all the time, then tape it. Otherwise, just forget it's there.

geckert

I tape over it otherwise I would be checking my speeds for every corner. I do that in Forza, ask me and I can tell you the exact speeds at all my turn in points for RA- 1:13.7 :)

Meat

I really don't have the urge to look at it. They aren't too accurate anyway. It is more a reference of what the bike manufactures want the bike to do for top speed, rather than what it actually does.

But, if I had a problem looking at it on the track, I would definitely tape it up.

Wink

I have it tape on most of the bikes and on a couple I remove the speedo sensor, so it reads zero all the time anyway. Even in the pits.... I know... TWIST THE THROTTLE! LOL!

jtsgsxr6

Some good ideas, I wonder if removing the speed sensor will throw a code on my bike? Hmm time to do some investigating.

JRA

I tape over mine with Velcro and then stick my lap timer to it so I can see that. That's the only number that matters to me.:D

RandyO

no tape, have never looked at it either... Matt did take a pic in DeadBear at Putnam where the focus was sharp enough to see I was doing right around 70-75 mph at the apex.. :)

TwoTyres

No tape on mine.
I never look at it so no need for tape. I did have a speedo heeler and it saves the highest speed so i can look at that in the paddock.

smack28752

I do not tape my speedo but rarely look at it. I have used it for reference occasionally for certain points on particular tracks... On the other hand, I always tape over my lap timer because I had a tendency to get wrapped up in checking that too often. Now I will look at lap times at lunch & the end of the day.

The only place I see mine is on the front straight at Road America....when I'm getting bored and wondering when turn 1 is coming up.