How much does your gear weigh?

Fire929

I was just standing on the scale with my gear to get my rider weight and was a little surprised to see 200 pop up.

Is 20lbs for gear about average or should I start looking for some CF leathers?

dmb367

I just bought a new Gericke suit, and the UPS shipping weight was 14 pounds. I'd say 20 counting boots, gloves, helmet, armor, etc is average.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
As big as my leathers are, they must weigh 40lbs alone! If you've seen them, you probably wouldn't disagree.

ta2kutz

my leathers are heavy as hell too.
so i did the hard thing and lost the weight.
cant wait to see how much fasterr the bike moves!!!!

stephenjpauls

I just got a new set of leathers and they are 15.5 lbs, my old set were 9.5. I haven't checked with my armor, boots, gloves, and helmet... but I would guess my gear is a little over 20 lbs...

rk97

Certainly something to think about when you're buying or setting up suspension stuff...

now i'm thinking I need stiffer fork springs :( (again)

I'm curious why most of the suspension websites list weight without gear when checking spring rates. My old cheapo Teknic two piece leathers are half the weight of my Komodo's.

Rick Johnson

That was a good laugh PJ. Jim I believe it. It's a good thing you have a 1000.You don't see many guys at the track your height.Don't forget to duck when you go under the bridge.Hehe;)

BlueMax

20 lbs for gear sounds just about right. I weighed 168 lbs fully geared last year :wow:, yep I'm one of the light weights.

Perlzuki

Hey Mark. I think 20 is about right as leathers . Boots & helmet are all pretty heavy stuff. You are the only person I know who worried about weight & have a 10% body fat!!!!!I guess you sent your shock off to Thermosman & wanted to get the proper spring rate. Let me know when is comes in & I can come over & help you install. One handed.
I even can use 1 of my left hand fingers to type now. Woooo hooooo!

See ya,

Mark
SE CR #249
06GSXR 1000

Fire929

It's on the way to him now and that's exactly why I checked the weight. He told me to put my height on the paper as well. I don't remember anyone else asking for height when setting up suspension so I'm pretty excited to get the stuff on the bike and see how it works.

I never really thought much about suspension because I figured at my pace it didn't really matter. After the suspension help during the SED last year my opinion changed. I didn't think there was anything wrong with the bike in the morning but then Buck looked at it and made some changes to get the bike balanced. The bike felt a lot better after that and that was just a quick look and adjustment. I'm going to make an effort this year to really understand what each adjustment does and how to use it.