How much time to get back into pace after injure …

Lars

Hi Guys

I had a shoulder injure last year and my last full track day was 8 months away.
Getting back on the track was not as easy as I imagined :nada:
It was a big surprise to me, that I was so much of the regular pace (+18-36 s/lap).

How much time (TDs) do you guys use to get back into your old pace?
I am a chicken, so I will properly need more time then most of you to get back in pace.

CU @ RA in April

Thanks,
Lars

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Lars, I had an accident in August 2005 where I broke my wrist and had a plate and screws put in. I went back to the same track in October and tried riding again. My wrist was sore, but that wasn't my worry. I was riding in advanced and I didn't want to be a problem for the other riders. I was about 15 seconds off my personal best the first session on Summit JC and thought I was never going to be faster soon enough. I dropped another 5-7 seconds the second session. After lunch I was within 4-5 seconds of my personal best.

It all depends on you. You have got to let go of the fears you have of crashing and reliving what happened earlier. No one is going to be able to tell when you are ready. Some people take less time, some take more and others never regain the speed. What is it that you feel is holding you back?

Lars

Hi Jim

I don’t expect any to tell me when I am back in pace, but was just wondering about how you guys felt getting back.
To your question about where my problem could be I have to answer visual skills and quick steering. I got my body in position etc. before the turn, but did steering corrections during turns. The visual skills have never become naturally to me and I still have to think before doing it right.
The weird part (but a good thing) was that my pace was pretty much normal trough turn 8-11 on VIR N.
I am looking forward to do the SED in May and hope a CR can help getting me trough my problems.

CU,
Lars

Katie785

From my experience, I just pretended like the wreck never happened. I got tangled with a guy in a race and ended up breaking a few bones including my neck at c7 and c6... I was back on track at the end of may and the accident happened in the beginning of April. I guess it really just depends on how stubborn you are and what your comfort level is.

I had a lot of issues passing at first in races, as that was how the accident happened. It's been 1 year now and I actually just raced back at VIR where it happened and was 2 seconds faster than my best race time and received quite better results. The best thing you can do is just get back on the horse and take it easy... get a feel for the bike again and fall in love with it all over again.

dpullen

Hey Lars! My first track day after my shoulder injury was nerve-wracking for me, but like Katie, I just decided to put the wreck behind me and ride my ride. It took a few sessions to get a feel for my strength and to adjust my riding around my shoulder, but just after mid-day, I was back at my race pace.

I think the biggest thing is to get a feel for your body and how you are going to be able to move on the bike. Get comfortable before you try to push it.

- Dave

Meat

I agree with Dave in that you need to get comfortable before you push it. I high-sided at Barber and 2 months later I was back at Barber. I was in a lot more pain than I thought I would be, and it was the November mad house at Barber, so I just took it easy. Of course it didn't help that on my very first day back, in the morning before the sessions started, I demo'd an R6 and low-sided in T5....killing all the faux confidence I had built up.

Just take it easy and work on being smooth, and have a good relaxing time. Build speed as it feels good. But as Dave and Katie mentioned, don't think about your crash or you will be riding like the stupid squid you usually avoid on the track.

Fire929

Lars it was good seeing you back out at VIR. When I saw you on the track during some of the morning sessions your pace was way off what you were riding last year. Your form still looked good it just looked like you were doing parade laps :D. When I saw you in the afternoon sessions you were starting to pick the pace up so hopefully it won’t be too long before you are back up to speed.

As long as you’re having fun out there it doesn’t matter how long it takes to get back up to speed. You were holding your line and were very predictable so no one should have a problem riding around you. Maybe pulling a CR aside at the next track day will help you get it back quicker. Just keep it fun and it will all work out.

Lars

Hi Mark

Thank you guys for info. and inputs.
I had an okay time, but it would have been more fun to play with you and Merle.
I could try talking Mr Pullen (while I trust him) into helping me out a little at RA in April, if he is not to busy with traffic.

CU @ the track,
Lars

crewnutz

as said above it really depends on your comfort level on a bike

i broke my neck (C1) in a car accident back in July 07 and was laid up in a neck brace for 4 months, then it took me another 2-3 months to get back into the physical shape i was in pre-accident

just look at it this way........if the doctor says your fine to ride/race then be glad and get back out there

i took a year off from riding anything after breaking my neck......my doctor said i shouldnt do as much as ride a bicycle again much less go roadracing............needless to say its been nearly 2 years since my accident, im back to roadracing, faster than before, and ive fallen on my head quite a few times and my neck has held up fairly well :D

that said it did take me about 1-2 trackdays to get fully back to speed.....anyone that saw me on my first trackday back last July wouldve said "wow, whats this guy doin in advanced group!" lol

live your life........enjoy your life

Jonny

Lars,

I was great meeting and riding with you, Mark, Merle, TJ, Ike, and Cliff. All I can say is the same as Mark. Your pace definately increased from the morning seasons to the afternoon seasons. Your body position, form, and the like was fine. You were just lacking corner entry speed (understandable given the nature of your accident last year) and I can say with experience that it will come back with time.

I think the thing that was frustrating you the most was that your lap times were still down compared to your last time on the north course. Easy, take the lap timer off the bike. Concentrate on your riding and raising your confidence without pissing yourself off when you get back to the pits and look at your lap timer. You will continue to get your pace back without it.

Also I think the fact that your doing two days at RA (your doing two days, right?) will help to. You will be more relaxed, confident, and in the groove on the second day.

Again Lars, I enjoyed meeting and riding with you and hope we can meet up again soon.

Jon

serialspiller

Lars,
Next time I recommend getting knocked out cold so you don't remember anything from the accident and have no problems getting your nerves back :D

Folly1

Lars,

I had this same question after going down April of last year. There are many variables beyond a good or bad memory. In my case, I kept trying to ride while being in a lot of pain. This slowed the recovery as I could not forget about the last crash when the pain was keeping it in the forefront of my awareness.

We process information differently. For some of us, it is important to understand why we crashed. This understanding allows us to "repair our web of security". Others just put it out of mind.

I agree, dump the lap timer, work on technique, believe that smoothness and precision bring speed, and lastly, ask a CR for a tow or detailed evaluation.

I am not up to pre-crash speed, but I am riding a much better and tighter line and much more in control. The goal is to pick up the speed, but when I am tired or not hitting the apexes perfectly, I back off. Before crashing, I would just keep pushing.

Ben.

Rick Johnson

It'll come back soon Lars.Just focus on your riding and have fun.Before you know it
you'll be faster than you were before.Good luck!Have fun at RA.

Revvin' Evan

I had my first crash at Jennings this February. It happened 3rd session on Saturday and by lunchtime Sunday I got back to within a second of my personal best. Luckily they allowed me to sand bag in beginner group for one session to regain my confidence and get back in the grove without worrying about creating a problem in expert group. Tore my little finger up when my glove split open which hurt pretty bad for the remainder of the weekend but nothing compared to the injuries you guys had. Ouch! Glad you all recovered and got back on the horse.:congrats:

Lars

Thank you guys, for all the good input.
To Mark W: Mark ‘Perlzuki’ made me go faster during the day by kicking me hard and told ‘No more coasting!!!’. It helped, thank you Mark P.

I don’t think I can do Katie’s “pretended like the wreck never happened’, but I will try.

Meat, that was bad luck crashing on you return ride.

Damn Brandon, my wife would let me go back to the track if I had a wreck like yours. Amazing you got back that fast!

Jon you did pretty well aster all the other day. Crashing just before T1 properly held you some, but luckily you did not get hurt.

Ben you crash at VIR N T14 was to crazy and I don’t hope anyone have to try you trick!

Ben (Folly1) as we get older it is not as easy to heal up and get back in shape.

I don’t agree on taking the lap timer away. It actually helped me while I could follow my improvements during the day and it brought me some enjoyment in the riding.
I use to have the lap timer placed so that I can not see it during my riding.

I can’t wait to get on RA.
It is going to be my first time at RA and that track looks scary fast!

'...Evan' good to hear you did not hurt your self to bad. Jennings GP is a cool track. It really learned me to do left turns :)

Cu all,
Lars

PARedVFRRider

Folly1;43237 wrote: Lars,

I agree, dump the lap timer, work on technique, believe that smoothness and precision bring speed, and lastly, ask a CR for a tow or detailed evaluation.

I am not up to pre-crash speed, but I am riding a much better and tighter line and much more in control. The goal is to pick up the speed, but when I am tired or not hitting the apexes perfectly, I back off. Before crashing, I would just keep pushing.

Ben.
I must agree with Folly1 with his advice above. The speed will come back in time there is no rush as we are not in a race out there. We are out there to enjoy ourselves. So push it till you feel comfortable work on you position and lines and over time the speed will just return.

I went down in November at NJMP...I was lucky, just ended up braking my thumb in a 90 plus mph low side. The bike flipped over several times and took some work getting it back.

Went to Jennings in January with a friend. Didn't use the lap timer at all on Saturday down there. Did just what Folly1 said above. Worked lines, position, and just trying to get comfortable again on the bike. It wasn't easy, I was considering retiring a lunch that day. but Saturday afternoon things got better. By the end of the day Saturday, the Absolute guys moved me up to the advanced group for Sunday. Sunday I kept the lap timer in the toolbox and simply rode at a pace i was comfortable with. But Sunday afternoon I pull the timer out and ran a few laps with it. Suddenly I was uncomfortable again, since I was more concerned with times then simply riding and having fun. So I dumped the timer again.

So the recommendation from me is keep the timer in your toolbox, don't worry about times and ride to have fun, when you finally feel good again and are passing people left and right, maybe its time for the timer again.

Lars

Att: PARedVFRRider
Thank you for your feedback.
Good to hear that you did not hurt your self to bad, but I am sorry about your bike. It gets expensive very fast :(
It is good to hear that you came back fast, so where is hope for me as well.
I think the best I can do now is ‘seat time’ and make sure to be fit.
Two days at RA could help me out, so I will do my best to hold lines at try to drag my elbow without dragging the bike :D

Cu @ the track,
Lars