How often do you change your oil?

dfaldridge

How often is everyone changing their oil/filter in their track bikes and what type of oil are ya'll using? Just curious if I'm stretching it out to long.:dunno:

bulldog

when it starts looking a bit dirty, or shifts aren't as smooth. (approx. 3-4 track day's or 3 months ish.) Repsol oil 10w/40 semi/synthetic.

Grassman

for me every 3 days ... oil is the cheapest thing you can do to the bike may be over kill but i feel better about it ... i use castrol actevo

JAB3

dfaldridge;79814 wrote: Anyone ever use Zmax? According to Carol Shelby, it's the stuff.
I don't know how well that will work with a wet clutch. My guess is it will cause problems, but I am not sure

Meat

There is another thread that mentions this: http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?p=79872&posted=1#post79872

I have been sending my oil (Rotella Synthetic) off for analysis after each oil change. Last oil change was 6 track days and everything was well within spec. Blackstone Laboritories recomended I extend the change interval another 3 to 4 days, making 9 or 10 total track days on my next oil change. I am guessing even 9 to 10 days will still be within spec since when I bumped the change interval from 5 to 6 days there was no change in the oil's integrity or engine wear.

NoBull

Amsoil 10w-40 Full Synth + filter. Every 3-4 trackdays. Better safe than sorry. I've blown out a crank bearing with Mobil 1 so I'm on MC specific full synth oil now.

justariot66

You send your oil out to be analysed? That's funny, not that it's a bad idea it's just that I never heard anyone do that. I usually go 5-6 track days, I don't have a specific brand buy the last two times was castrol.

Dave #66

snikwad

i run street and track, 1 track weekend, ride it on the streets, before the next trackday, i change it again. that or 3-4k miles

vtjballeng

Meat;79873 wrote: There is another thread that mentions this: http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?p=79872&posted=1#post79872

I have been sending my oil (Rotella Synthetic) off for analysis after each oil change. Last oil change was 6 track days and everything was well within spec. Blackstone Laboritories recomended I extend the change interval another 3 to 4 days, making 9 or 10 total track days on my next oil change. I am guessing even 9 to 10 days will still be within spec since when I bumped the change interval from 5 to 6 days there was no change in the oil's integrity or engine wear.
How quickly do you notice your oil going dark? I typically see it changing quickly in color on the first track day and change after 3-4. Obviously it will also make a difference if you are wet clutch vs dry clutch. Sending the oil off to the lab is a great idea.

snikwad

The oils color is irrelevant. They all darken, but it doesn't mean its bad. If an oil never darkened I'd be worried, its think its not holding and suspending any particles and therefore leaving it on my engine parts and hurting my motor.

jon686

Oil in general is so much better than it was just a few years ago. Quick lube places and the like still make a killing selling a 3K oil interval, but realistically you can go a LOT farther now. I know we are speaking bikes, but that is just a reference. My theory is to run a good synthetic brand and follow an interval similar to what Snikwad said. I also agree that oil is cheap insurance compared to engine failure. I also wanted to mention that the air filter is very important, as that is how impurities can really get in. I am currently running MOTUL oil because they sent me a free sample package after I attended the Schwantz school. Nothing bad or good to report about it's performance-it does the job and nothing failed. I ran AMSOIL before and it worked well too. Most any of the brands are good now.

snikwad

After researching and checking my owners manual, I've decided I'm gonna try that rotella synthetic. Been using repsol for the past 2 years every 3-4k miles. Well, that sh1t is too expensive, so I'm making a switch.

Realistically, I could go further and longer with the oil, but when I change lube at 4k miles, I notice the freshness in the gear shifts, so to me, that's worth it. My bike has 25k miles, and is ridden all year round, on the streets and trackdays. I figure the least I can do is give it fresh lube every trackday.