How often do you need extra wheels at the track?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
j_fuggin_t;184937 wrote: uh huh until you hit wet pavement with them, myself & two Cr's almost took flight this past weekend from just the tiniest bit of wet on the track & that was using diablo supercorsa's sc2's, once that happens to you it will change your thought a bit
Yeah, no doubt. Thanks for the info. I'd always thought they'd be bad in the wet, but I've had some folks say they were better than expected.
Guess it depends on how you define "expected".

some guy #2

My bike is street/track so not having to swap tires is a huge plus. I change my own tires but anything to cut the down time is a bonus. I often bring two rears with me to a track since I go through them so often.

Full wheel sets (rotors and cush) are generally hot ticket items people want to pick up. If you can find them for $350 shipped I'd jump on it since you can easily resale them for that or more during the riding season.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Learn how to change and balance your own tires/wheels...Then you can mount them at home where it's easy (while drinking a beer!) and have them at the ready at the track.;)

j_fuggin_t

HondaGalToo;184940 wrote: Yeah, no doubt. Thanks for the info. I'd always thought they'd be bad in the wet, but I've had some folks say they were better than expected.
Guess it depends on how you define "expected".
no prob.. its a sketchy kinda feeling LOL

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Motofun352;184961 wrote: Learn how to change and balance your own tires/wheels...Then you can mount them at home where it's easy (while drinking a beer!) and have them at the ready at the track.;)
Sometimes I need that beer whilst balancing wheels. Every now and then, it just seems to not stop moving. :D
But I agree. Changing my own tires was an initial investment (I got a No-Mar) but it'll pay for itself over time. And, being able to do it at my leisure...and be ready ahead of time...priceless! I hated rushing at the track to get wheels off for tire changes.

rk97

sounds like the OP made his choice, but I don't think you can go wrong in this situation.

I purchased my bike with a spare set of rims included, and promptly sold them to pay for more track time... Now that I'm getting more "serious" (hahahaha) about riding, it would be nice to have them back, but $300 buys 15 tire changes at the track, so I consider my decision financially sound for the time being.

So one more vote for "convenient, but not essential."

j_fuggin_t

rk97;185103 wrote:
I purchased my bike with a spare set of rims included, and promptly sold them to pay for more track time... Now that I'm getting more "serious" (hahahaha) about riding, it would be nice to have them back, but $300 buys 15 tire changes at the track, so I consider my decision financially sound for the time being.

So one more vote for "convenient, but not essential."
yes and no my friend.. imagine this if you will.. we pay on the average $165 for a track day which comes out to around $23 a session, now if you miss your session + the tire change you've lost more... tires are our biggest expense in this sport so why not be prepared instead of waiting in line for the trackside vendor to swap them out :dunno:

1literduceater

slow_honda;184825 wrote: watching you change tires is so painful I almost wanted to do it myself.

:D

The GSXR is way easier then the old 600rr. Nonetheless its still a pain in the butt and if you want to jump in by all means have at it!

On a side note when are we getting you out on the new dirtibike? :dunno:

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Good question. This weekend is Beav and next weekend is Summit. Give me a call sometime.

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
PJZOCC624;184875 wrote: Or, buying rain tires after the first session because it's pouring rain out then having them mounted during the second session so you can ride all day without worrying about the rain is a dead-nuts GUARANTEE that it will STOP raining the instant you finish mounting the wheels with fresh rain tires... thus forcing you to go back to the tire trailer to have the rubber swapped out AGAIN and have the tire kid and the guys pitted across the way from you laugh their asses off at you.

Buy the wheels.
Are you glad you listened to my advice. :).