How often do you replace trailer tires?

Fire929

The tires still have plenty of tread on them but I read somewhere that after 3-5 years you should consider replacing them.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I heard up to 7 is ok, at the very max (as long as they aren't dryrotted, etc.). Mine hit the 7 year mark in 2009, I used them without issue, but they are getting replaced before this season starts (Goodyear Marathon radials, gonna get them again, the tread still looks great, no dryrot).

rk97

what do I look for in a trailer tire anyway? I have to pick up a spare before the season starts...

my little 4x8 only has 4 lug 12" wheels.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
rk97;109421 wrote: what do I look for in a trailer tire anyway? I have to pick up a spare before the season starts...

my little 4x8 only has 4 lug 12" wheels.
Not sure at that size. Just make sure it's trailer-specific tire. Some folks buy car tires (not that you could do that with 12" wheels?) but that's a bad idea.

Wink

I replace them 2-3 every year and rotate though. I also keep a new spare in the trailer.
(triple axle)

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Wink;109442 wrote: I replace them 2-3 every year and rotate though. I also keep a new spare in the trailer.
(triple axle)
Hmmm, I'd never even though about rotating them...good idea. I'll rotate them from now on.

Blinky

just check for any signs of rubber cracking. Oh yeah, don't forget a good jack too along with that spare tire.

ERB68

Wink;109442 wrote: I replace them 2-3 every year and rotate though. I also keep a new spare in the trailer.
(triple axle)
Yea but your trailer is bigger than my first condo!!! :)

Good thread, I replaced all mine when I got the trailer, it was in need of lots a stuff.