How to buy a motorcycle from someone across the country.

justariot66

There is a bike I may buy but i am unsure how to go about doing so. You see he is in Cali and I am in SC, I am worried about how i would protect myself from getting beat on the bike.

I give him 5000.00 and he doesnt send the bike, what do I do.

Any help would be great.

Thanks Dave

Meat

Dave, I am sure you are looking for some advise that is not just common sense, but it is pretty tough. If you aren't buying it though Ebay where you can get some sort of protection (I think it is or used to be called something like escrow protection) then you are really at the mercy of the seller. Be very aware of scams (as I am sure you are fully aware). When I was looking for my first track bike a couple years ago, the market was full of scams (look for poor English as a huge red flag).

I think a coast-to-coast purchase from a private owner is a huge risk, but there are people that do it all the time with no problems at all.

geckert

You could have the guy ship the bike but keep the title. Then you pay him and then you guys transfer titles after payment. He would have to agree to this of course and that might put him in the same situation as you, worried. Unless the bike would be for off-street only I guess there is no title.

chambers

Man that's a tough call. I would have to go with my gut instinct on it and try to get some kind of clue about dude selling it to you. Hard to do over the phone but...

I was in Saudi Arabia when I bought my last bike in '02. Actually a buddy of mine bought from a dude in NY off ebay and we had it shipped to Memphis. Fortunately there weren't any problems. Doubt I would do it today though. The bike I have now I bought from a guy in Michigan and took a three day weekend and had a good road trip with a friend to get it. I was ready to buy.

Today, I think I would just wait on something to come around that's closer.

Burnall4

I will give you my two cents since I have bought and sold cars across the country numerous times and my father even more so.

As posted earlier, the easiest way to protect yourself is pay for the shipping and half of the purchase price of the vehicle. The owner keeps the title, and agrees to keep the money in escrow. Once you receive the vehicle, get it checked out, then either pay him the full amount of the remaining balance or pay a new negotiated price based on the findings of inspection.

If a seller is not willing to do this, it is a very easy transaction, and doesn't require anything on his end. then he or she is not worth doing business with, period.

Hope this helps. GL.

justariot66

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=209203

Well here ya go, this is a link to the bik I want to buy. Seems to be a good deal even with shipping its 5000.00 and thats if he doesnt go any lower.
It seems ike the guys on the board know him and like him so maybe it would be OK.
I cant get anything till I close on my house and thats 6-17 so it'll prolly be gone by then.

Thanks for the thoughts
Dave

JonnyZ!

I've bought and sold bikes that have come from and gone all over the country. Key was always communication. Call the seller and talk to him at length. Racers love to talk racing. Riders love to talk riding, Parents LOVE to talk about their kids. Call him and talk. It won't take long to tell of he's legit or full of Sh&T. HAve him send the title........ Possession is 9/10ths the law so it's a good business gesture........ and you'll have a way to pursue if necessary..... You shouldn't have to.

Buy/selling over distance is purely a trust thing and the seller shouldn't be apprehensive about sending the title with 1/2 payment and balance sent on confirmed ship.

Remember you don't get inspection so make sure you trust the guy.

I recently bought a BMW out of Texas.... Was listed on Craigslist. Guy was Super Standup. Son was a WERA endurance racer. Guy had his Mechanic and Garage at VIR and carried the bike from Texas to his garage as a courtesy....!!!

Was worth a $70 bottle of scotch to me

Just Sold my 125 to a Dad in Texas..... Was an awesome guy and was nice to know the bike was going to young up and comer. He paid me in payments

Something about Texas lately :)

Anyway....talk to the guy and trust your judgment

Been shopping on WERA meself lately ;)