How to find the best rear set location?

bossman2022

I am struggling to figure out the best location for my rear sets for the gear shifter and rear brake. I am tall (6’6”) and my feet are about a size 13-14. Do you guys prefer the gear shifter further out on the toe on the boot, or closer in? Watching MotoGP it seems like maybe I have the shifter too close and I need to move it further away? Had a couple of false neutrals on the last track day so I think part of it is my shifter location. Takes too much foot action to gear up (I am not riding GP shift yet as I can’t figure out how to convert my S1000XR). I did adjust my S1000XR the other day to lower it further away from my foot (moved it down a bit) and I think I like that a lot more.

So curious what other folks do to figure out the best location? Seems like it’s very personal for each person so not quite sure how to find the right location for myself.

For reference I have an S1000RR track bike with alpha racing tail and fairing kit with the high seat and Lightech R- rear sets.

I think I might swap to GP shift for the next track day and see how I like that. And I am considering making my own adapter for the S1000XR to flip it to GP shift also.

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Seems like it’s very personal for each person so not quite sure how to find the right location for myself
This is usually the answer here with a couple caveats: 1. How is your ground clearance at the highest lean angle? and 2. How difficult are you finding it to transfer your body on the bikes?

I'm not as tall as you, 6'2", and I find with my hips that I like my pegs as low as I can get away with at full lean to not cause clearance issues. The higher I put my rearsets, the more "bind" I get in my hips due to my long legs. From a side view, you can draw a near straight line from my forearms to my thighs, elbow to knee. (I have a very similar B bike to your XR, a Single R.)

53008155951_f916811c2f_c.jpg

So I think the short answer is, you'll just have to try different things to see what works for you.
As for the shifter, that too is a preference. I find I like my shifter near the same height as my peg. I too have long flippers people like you and I call "feet."

bossman2022

Thanks for the reply, gives me some things to test at the next track day! I believe I have mine as low as I could go also, but had to move them towards the back due to my flippers. lol.

bmart

Control Rider
If you want it more complicated, the footpeg/lever location is related to the seat location/height/shape...and the bars/controls. It is a bit like painting one room in your house...the rest just doesn't look right. :)

For me, I'd start with the seat. If that is fine for you (my track bikes [20 minute stints, mostly off of the seat] have always been fine and my street bikes [day long stints on the seat] have always been terrible), I'd look at bars/pegs together so that you aren't putting unnecessary pressure on your joints. Lastly, and easiest, are the levers and pedals.

You can have some serious fun with https://cycle-ergo.com/

My VFR with a tall guy with no legs...

1691420443999.png

Short person with long legs on a Wing.

1691420609447.png

CaseyAlbert

BossMan....Were you having "shifting" issues upshifting or downshifting? If "downshifting....2nd to 1st, the throttle grip must be 100% closed or the ECU will not let you complete the shift. Upshifting, usually no issues....
I had read it, after many unsuccessful shifts, had one, moved the grip about 1/16" and voila..... shift...

bossman2022

It was on the up shifts (still using standard shift not GP shift but I plan to change that). Never have any issues down shifting as the quick shifter takes care of that. Hit a couple of false neutrals on the up shifts that caught me out.

bossman2022

Well yes, but I don't usually ride without the quick shift so I have not had a miss shift without it :)

Pretty sure the issue is I am having problems properly reaching the shifter so it's too much foot movement for me to kick it up coming out of the turns, hence trying to figure out the best way to find the right foot position and shifter position.

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Also, to clarify. When you have 'false neutrals' are we talking actually in between gears with the awful grinding and other terrible noises? Just checking, because when I get autoblipper failures on my S1000R, it feels like a false neutral, but it's just an ignition cut.

bmart

Control Rider
I'm just saying...the % of quickshifters I've seen fail is nearly 100. If it all works right with the clutch and your canoe boot...

bossman2022

Yeah for false neutrals I mean where it gets stuck in between gears with that awful grinding noise. lol. Happened on the second shift onto the straight at Roebling and for whatever reason it took a bit to get it back in gear.

Bike is in the shop right now anyway for service so I am having them check it all over to be sure its not something else but I suspect its just my foot location I need to get better at positioning.

CaseyAlbert

Very easy to switch to GP. HIGHLY RECOMMEND! That could very well be your issue. I don't really think it is the location of the shifter or your boot. I always thought I had to have my foot exactly "there" to up shift, and only this past weekend realized that just wasn't true.....:)

bossman2022

Yep, I plan on that once I figure out how to flip my S1000XR so I don't have to wrap my head around changing every time I ride on the street :) But might just change it over anyway for the next track day and deal with the street bike later.

One question on flipping it to GP shift. Normally the quick shifter rod lines up nice and parallel with the shift lever in the normal location, but last time I just moved it over to the other hold on the shift lever it was no longer nicely lined up so it seemed to me like it would have more travel in one direction that the other. So when you move it on the shift lever, should I compensate for that by adjusting it at the top on the spline it connects to? Some folks said to just leave it, but that seems like it would be more confusing to the ECU?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 8

bossman2022

Also anyone know where to get an extension lead for the quick shifter rod? We are trying to figure out how to extend it to flip it over on the S1000XR, because flipping the lever at the top confuses the ECU so we also need to flip the rod over to compensate:

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 0

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Are you certain flipping the sensor will work?
The push/pull of the sensor should be in the programming of the QS/AB function.

As standard, lifting up the shift lever rotates the shift shaft clockwise, and the sensor is compressed. (PUSH).
Downshifting the shift shaft is rotating counter clockwise, and the sensor is in tension. (PULL).

When you flipped the connection to the shift shaft, you're still required to rotate it the same directions.
If you flipped the QS/AB sensor, you're still compressing the sensor when transmitting force to turn the shift shaft counter clockwise.

The logic of the programming should be flipped, IMO.
But I could be wrong.

I tell ya, the R and RR make it so much easier by having the shift lever pivot on the middle... where all you have to do is change the linkage to the other hole. On the XR, looks like you need a bracket to mimic the same functionality.

bossman2022

Yeah the shift lever is completely different on the XR now (they used to be the same). The pivot point is in the wrong spot so not sure there is a way to do it mechanically.

But yeah, I think you are correct. Flipping the lever up top means now the quick shifter will now be PULLING for an upshift and PUSHING for a downshift. Flipping the sensor over won't change that (it will still be backwards).

Is there a way to program the QS/AB sensor programming in the ECU? I don't recall seeing a setting for that (and clearly it's not needed on the RR as you are just moving the mechanical movement and the rest stays the same).

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Yeah the shift lever is completely different on the XR now (they used to be the same). The pivot point is in the wrong spot so not sure there is a way to do it mechanically.

But yeah, I think you are correct. Flipping the lever up top means now the quick shifter will now be PULLING for an upshift and PUSHING for a downshift. Flipping the sensor over won't change that (it will still be backwards).

Is there a way to program the QS/AB sensor programming in the ECU? I don't recall seeing a setting for that (and clearly it's not needed on the RR as you are just moving the mechanical movement and the rest stays the same).
That I do not know. BMW_388 over on the other forum might have a solution for that. (Does ECU flashes and what not.)

On my Woolich race tools package, you can flip the programming in the flash for their sensor, I just don't know for certain for the BMW computers.

bossman2022

Yeah I will ask BWM_388. I already have a Bren Tune on the bike, so I will also ask BTMoto if it's something they can add to my ECU tune.