How to setup 6x8 open trailer???

KBacon

Well I went ahead and purchased a trailer to haul the bike... Planning on using it for track days, Deal's Gap, and just general use. It's a 6x8 tilt trailer w/ steel diamond plate decking. Definitely wide enough for 2 bikes.. maybe even 3... if I work it just right???

15530270-636-Tilt-UtilityMotorcycleATV-Trailer.jpg

Now I just have to get it all setup.

Wondering about coating the deck w/ that roll on bed liner (Herculiner?).. since the deck may be rather slick when wet? Or just placing some strategically located grip tape strips? Or will the diamond plate give sufficient traction?

There is one D ring bolted to the front/middle of the deck.. and a couple holes in the rail sides near the front of the trailer and two rings coming off the rear lip of the trailer. These are the only tie down locations currently. Any favorite wheel chocks that won't break the bank... would love a baxley.. but it's not gonna happen any time soon... thinking more Harbor Freight style/price? With the wheel chock.. shouldn't the rear tie downs be located more forward of the rear wheel?

Has anyone ever tried the adjustable aluminum track? I know it's a little pricey... but looks like it would work wonderfully... Strips down both edges.. either 8' or some smaller sections in strategic locations... Could I place one track down the middle & tie bikes down to it on both sides or should I have two tracks in the middle (one for each bike)?
177_164_large.jpg

Or just some individual tie downs???
VT-Pack-250_300.jpg

Trying to figure out placement of the track or individuals... I would be hauling a single bike sometimes & two bikes other times??? Also may haul an ATV at times.

Also thinking about adding some sort of large tool box to the front... I just don't know if it will work w/ the tilt feature due to making the deck front heavy.

Is the tilt feature something that I should even use.. or just leave it pinned & get a ramp?

Also.. where the heck am I supposed to mount the lic plate? I assume on one of the fenders? Is it legal to mount a lic plate sideways? Is it legal to fold the lic plate so that just the #'s are showing (IE put it along the back w/ the tail lights?).. I've seen this done in the past.. but don't know the legality of it?

Any other suggestions???

some guy #2

Personally for chocks I don't like the bent tube pingel style. They don't hold the bike, you have to strap the bike down to secure it, and it's hard to do all this with one person BTW. Harbor freight sells a baxley knock off that I've heard is decent if you bolt it down and don't use it as a tie down point. The baxley/Condor is pricey but they really are worth the money. My Condor has a trailer quick mount so I can use it in my trailer and then take it off for storing/working on the bike.

I have a plywood floor in my open trailer and used 3" wide grip tape as a no slip surface and it works fine so far but I haven't had to use the trailer in the rain yet.

I have a 4x8 open trailer and 2 sport bikes (gsxr1000 and a cbr954) fit side by side with enough room to walk between them. There is also enough space in the back to put gas cans, ramps, tool boxes if you needed the extra space.

NCDave

You can test fit the bikes, but I doubt you'll have enough width for more than two once you have to tie them down. I just finished this single bike trailer. it's 44 inches wide and barely sufficient to get a good angle to hold the bike. it does work though.

I have a HF wheel chock. it's 50 bucks. Works fine, but not stable enough for transport, so I still have to strap the bike down. it works well to hold the bike up while I'm putting the straps on.

These are before and after pics of my winter project fixing this trailer up.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lasdps/Trailer

KBacon

Personally for chocks I don't like the bent tube pingel style. They don't hold the bike, you have to strap the bike down to secure it, and it's hard to do all this with one person BTW. Harbor freight sells a baxley knock off that I've heard is decent if you bolt it down and don't use it as a tie down point. The baxley/Condor is pricey but they really are worth the money. My Condor has a trailer quick mount so I can use it in my trailer and then take it off for storing/working on the bike.
I'll only be hauling two bikes.. but may see if I can fit a third if the need arrises.

Yeah.. those hoop chocks came w/ the trailer (that pic was the one in the for sale ad).. I'm going to replace them w/ some from Harbor Freight like these
96349.GIF

97841.gif

Or this familiar looking chock that I found for $99
http://www.princessauto.com/vmchk/shop-garage/repair-equipment/lifting-devices/8245417-motorcycle-wheel-chock?keyword=wheel+chock
8245417.jpg

BlueMax

The wheel chock in pics 4 & 5 is what I use in my passenger van. I have modified mine slightly so I can bolt it into place. Two tie downs from the back pegs is all thats need to secure the bike. If you get the HF brand make sure you change all 4 cotter pins out. The cotter pins are too loose and will work there way out.

TwoTyres

I just picked up the black HF chock. Pretty good for the money. I did notice the R-clips were loose so i safety wired them so the cant fall out, also shimmed the two pins with extra washers to tighten it up.

I tried the bike in it and it was in there really good, took some effort to pull it back out.

With this chock i can now get 3 bikes in my trailer.

Slowninja

I have the gray HF chalk, i think i got it on sale for 40 a few years back. It works pretty good for me. It is not ment to hold the bike for transport alone, just so you can get the straps on it with out trying to hold the bike up at the same time. For the price you can't beat it.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
When I had an open trailer it had side, front and back rails. I don't know how you plan to store that trailer (by that I mean if it folds up), but getting some side rails installed would really help with securing other items to the trailer. It would also give you some piece of mind that things don't come untied and slide right off the trailer. If you know someone with a small welder, it could be done for less than $50 including the steel angle. Once you start adding things like a ramp, fuel jugs, tool box, etc. etc. etc., you won't have any room left over. Which is why I now have a 6X10 v-nose enclosed trailer. And why I would love to upgrade some point soon to a bigger one.