how to soften up leathers

ta2kutz

so anyone have a good tip on how to soften up leathers aside from just wearing them a whole bunch. i picked up a set of 1 pc leathers and they are stiff on me. they fit great. nice and snug on the arms and legs but just a bit stiff to start out with. im used to 2 pc leathers now but this deal was dirt cheap so i thought id get them.

and damn 1pc are hard to get in and out of. guess ill be getting some under armor to help with that

fieldsheer 1pc for 300 at motorcyclecloseouts.com limited sizes and colors. but for the cheaper suits fieldsheer has the best padding i can find

Tony A

I have found the areas where i slide across the track to be very soft and broken in.:doh:

But really any good leather condtioner rubbed in should help

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
+1 on the conditioner. I also put it on my leather gloves as well, to keep them in good shape.

moto italiano

+1 one on the leather conditioner. I've used saddle soap for years on all leather products...softens, cleans and protects...outside of sliding along the aforementioned asphalt!

MikeK

I used Lexol on my newer suit for the first time this season after a few people recommended it, worked great and even took out some of the "salt" staining from sweat.

You can pick up the products at any auto stores, not real expensive either.

Travrsx

hop in the shower with your suit on, then wear it around wet for a little while. do some stretches in it. hang it up, then condition the leather when its dry.

I did that for my first suit a few years back and it worked good enough.

jpaulsen

+1 for Lexol. Most of the fine leather shops recommend it. You can find it at retailers selling leather, cruiser shops, some high end car dealships (Mercedes, Lexus, etc.) for their customers leather seats. There is a cleaner (orange bottle) and a conditioner (brown bottle) and most carry both.

Maryland998

MMMM Bacon Grease

homer.jpg

dolfnz67

Mix 1 part murphy's oil soap and 3 parts water. You can clean the leathers and condition them at the same time. The best thing I've seen. :D

jsin38

I break mine in by wearing them around the house. Use them to mow in. I find it eerily similar to track day where I push around an underpowered and unwilling machine at a walking pace but still must focus on lines :)

Under Armor helps. My very first track day was back in June at Summit Jefferson. The temperature was estimated at 105 that day and and without the Under Armor on to help the leathers slide off, I'm sure I would still be wearing them today.