how to store bike for a couple months.....???

ski2we

hey guys, im in the middle of moving and my bike will be in storage for a couple months, i never really needed to do that so if anyone has any good tips so i dont have any issues with my bike after storage it would be much appreciated. I know disconnecting the battery and possibly put something in the fuel tank but if someone has a good routine they usually do im all ears. thanks also btw, as of now i have new oil and water wetter in the bike that was only through one track day, let me know please thanks again

blue Stabil in the gas tank. run it til the stuff gets all the way through the system. Pull the battery and put it on a battery tender. Front and rear stands. rag in the exhaust (bugs, spiders, etc) rags in the ram air tubes. Cover. Done. If storing over cold weather months, do the stabil thing, then pull the plugs and put storage oil in and hit the starter to cycle over the pistons a couple trips up and down. Reinstall plugs.

Swodi

I've had to store my bikes for months at a time while I was gone on deployments. Put the bike on stands, filled the tank to the brim with gas, pulled the battery and put it on a tender. 6-7 months later...

Put battery back in bike, changed oil, checked tire pressure, turned key, went riding. Well, I took it off the stands first, but you know what I mean. ;) No harm, no foul. I've heard of some more involved processes involving hand-turning the crank slowly to get oil to all the parts of the engine, and if that's what you'd like to do, go for it. Stabil? I'm not quite sure what it does. I just fill the tank to keep it from rusting. If I'm feeling really ambitious I'll siphon out the old gas and re-fill the tank before I start up the motor.

I'm not saying my way is the best way or the right way, but its what I do and I haven't noticed any ill-effects. That being said, my garage has a revolving door policy when it comes to bikes so I can't speak to any long-term effects of my practices.

windblown

For two months? Not much is really needed. If it will be inside then all that's really needed is stabilizer in the fuel as already mentioned. Stands if you happen to have them, otherwise don't sweat it, bikes often sit on dealership floors for a lot longer than two months. Maybe an oil change if it's close to being due before you put it away.

I like to remove the seat if mice are around so they don't build a nest under it, or stick a few dryer sheets under the seat, they hate the smell.

I almost never use a tender because a) it's unnecessary if you take the leads off the battery if the battery isn't already junk. b) It's a potential fire hazard, battery tenders can and do go bad.

Come back, check the tire pressure, connect the battery, ride off.

ski2we

thanks gents, what i though, unless of coarse anyone wants to buy a 07 zx10r track bike for cash and take it completely off my hands that would be cool

justintime_3

PS If its gonna be sitting in a non-heated garage over the cold months ,make sure you drain the water wetter and add antifreeze. Cracked head gaskets are a very bad thing.

Spitz

If you run fuel with ehtanol in it put some sort of stabilizer in it, if it doesnt dont worry about it. All of our equipment sits bi-seasonally with no stablizer in it but we also run the premium to stay away from the ethanol.