How to transport the bike to the track? Need your help!

Mapoipoi

Hi guys/gals,

I was hoping I could get some feedback regarding transportation. I'm planning on using a ford E150 to transport my bike (is there a better van model out there that people prefer?).

I had 2 questions:

- What is the best way to set up the pitbull trailer restraint system? Do I directly drill the thing into the van flooring or do I put something in between?

- What is the best type of ramp to buy to use for the E150 in order to get the bike in there? I would ideally like one that is wide enough for me to walk with the bike as I load it in...

Any insights or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Louis

RADAR Magnet

The new RRW magazine has a good article on this, including recommendations for ramps, but I don't have it handy right now. As for the pit bull, their TRS is awesome but you want it to be secure. If you put something between that isn't secured you haven't accomplished much; bike will move around; drill through the floor and transport with peace of mind.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I have used a van to transport my bike a few times going back and forth to the mechanic. I never used it enough to worry about using a Pit Bull TRS. However, when I did use it, I used a Baxley Sport Chock with two straps to the lower triple. Bike was very secure and never had an issue. I also have used a simple aluminum ramp to load. The difference in height from the ground to the floor of the van was easy enough to walk the bike up in and just step into the van while holding the front brake.

If you are going to use the Pit Bull, I would recommend using a plate underneath the floor, sandwiching the floor between the two plates. You can probably get away with some large washers, but I would feel safer with the plate option.

Sideshow Bob

I use tiedowns in a pickup to go to the track and it's solid as hell. I got some good ramps at the local bike shop, but don't remember the name of them. On r is for the bike and the other is to walk on. I don't have any problem as long as i have help. Make sure you good tie downs, not that Home Depot crap.

virtualsolitude

Musician, physician but mostly fond of fishin'.
EddieRo;n592864 wrote: As you'll see in the link, I use an E350 XL high top van. I like the high top since you can walk around and get dressed, etc without having to hunch over. I use the pitbull trs bolted directly through the floor (nothing in between the mounting plate and floor). I have two mounted. I also use a folding atv/mc ramp I found on ebay. It's fine and works well as long as your van isn't too high. If it's high, you'll need a step up or a buddy to help. I typically load alone and strap the ramp to the bumper nice and tight and throttle the bike up nice and easy and use a plastic step to walk the bike into the van. Once at the track there's lots of people so bringing it down is always a snap. Even solo, coming down out of the van is easy. PM me if you like.
Nice. With the van, you don't have to worry about HOA parking restrictions for RV, trailers and such. I bought two 90" ramps at Lowes that have the tie-down straps with hooks. I space them about a foot apart and use one for walking and one for the bike. Have your tie downs ready and within reach once the bike is in place so that it's all a one-man operation. If pushing the bike up the ramps, the straps are not necessary. But definitely use the straps if motoring the bike up the ramp. Else the rear will kick the ramp out from under ya.

leed

Because of the low ceiling of the Econoline vans, I used this myself:
http://www.harborfreight.com/super-wide-tri-fold-loading-ramp-90018.html

As for the Pitbull TRS, this is how this guy mounted his to a Chevrolet Express
http://www.timeinthegarage.com/2014/01/pit-bull-trailer-restraint-install.html

To be honest whenever I carried my bikes in my E150, which was a conversion van instead of an empty panel van, I tied to the seatbelt points and seat mounting points. 4 straps total: two pulling forward and out, and two pulling backwards and out. I was able to carry two bikes this way also without any issues.