How to win an argument for track days when your wife says NO.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Would be interesting if somebody somewhere ended up getting actual statistics across a variety of situations... Especially severity of injuries and mortality rates.

And I'm glad they don't because this is the kind of data lawyers salivate over.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Another way risk is defined is, Risk=Probability X Consequences. While speed certainly contributes to consequences, I find that most crashes happen in corners at slower speeds so actual consequences between the different groups is relatively the same....Probability, on the other hand is where skill comes into play. Therefore actual Risk tends to go down with advancement through the ranks....except when folks start trying too hard for the bump.:(

fowlplayracing

Steve
Control Rider
I am lucky! My wife grew up around motor racing in Europe. She already knew the best way to reduce the uncontrollable situation is to put it on a closed circuit. She understands the addiction, the risks and because of that actually worries more when I ride on the street.

I've crashed at the racetrack where my safety gear did its job preventing even so much a scratch on me. I have crashed on the street where I was not wearing proper gear and not focused on riding correctly. These are extreme examples for and against, of course but I'm just showing you that stupid can fracture shoulder blades and cost a lot of money needlessly.

I once picked up and rode home a new bike for a neighbor of mine. At only mile number 3, after leaving the dealership, I sat at a traffic light with a women in a suburban on the telephone right behind me. When the light turned green she took off.... pushed me right out into the intersection. I was unhurt but she boogered up the rear end of the bike and put me in a bad situation.

This, to my knowledge, has never happened on a racetrack....
well.... at least never, without a photoshop app!

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
I honestly think this is an incredibly subjective conversation, with the biggest discriminator being what you define as "safer".

If you define "safer" as being less likely to crash or get injured, then no - I do not believe riding on the track is safer than riding on the street. To the contrary, by that definition, I think riding on the street is probably safer - which would be factually proven by the "per capita" accident rate of street riding (by mile) compared to track riding. In other words, you're chances of crashing at the track are "probably" higher than your chances of crashing on the street - mile for mile.

However, if you define "safer" as your risk to have a serious or fatal injury (which is how I look at it) then I strongly believe the track is exponentially safer than the street. Think about all of the track days we've all been at - and frankly - even race days (whether we're racing or watching). How many fatalities have you seen in all of those crashes? How many traumatic brain injuries? The combination of well designed tracks, run-offs, air fences, leathers, helmets, full safety gear, the lack of intersections, careful observation of rules and procedures, FOCUS ON PURE RIDING, etc, all combine to allow us to have an off and walk away from it.

As somebody who has been riding for 45 years and who has crashed on the street, motocross tracks, and on the road track, I'm OK with the idea that I might get injured - believing that I'm less at risk for TBI, spinal injury or death - due to some big mac eating texting 17 year old kid pulling out in front of me.

JMYRGO

Let me tell everybody why I agree with wmhjr. In my many years of novice and professional motocross racing I have witnessed one death and two spinal injuries resulting being in a wheelchair. A lot of bumps,bruises and broken bones. However, in just the last 6 months been to two funerals resulting from street bike accidents. I should mention that my wife is a Life flight nurse. She sees endless mishaps on the street. I really don't even want to get into that conversation. I also ride on the street, but I am just saying.....

CBRtist

However, in just the last 6 months been to two funerals resulting from street bike accidents.

That brings up another variable: Gear.

There are requirements per track on what to wear, whereas on the street some people are ok with flip flops and a naked head. Ok.. Exaggeration. They are ok with a silly vest and a mohawked helmet.