I have a turning right condition...

bodell

Are you guys really giving knee down advice to a guy who is practicing on the street?

Here is some advice; stop being a squid and come to the racetrack. NESBA offers all the resources you need to become a competent rider instead of a greasy spot on the highway. Then you can buy photos of your track day from pics of you instead of killboy’s documentation of your illegal and squidly daytrip to squids gap. Hopefully they wont look like these.

Here is some instruction for the following gap squids.

Make use of the sighting lap to look outside of the track for good run off areas incase you need one at speed.
deals-gap-dragon-sportrider-mag400.jpg

Some bikes like the r6 need tank sliders to prevent the gas tank from grinding thru during a lowside.
explosion.jpg

Look through the turn, not at the guy taking your photo.
img_1546.jpg

When following another rider who is crashing, do not target fixate on the crash, or you will most likely join them.
1289514+deals_gap_crash1095691375.jpg

Aside from these tidbits, there is much to be said about body position, protective gear, flags, safety practices, tire pressures, etc, etc, etc. But not pushing limits on the street kind of comes before all of that. You can ask Paul, because I don't think Bo or Jason made it.

more...
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203215

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Well, I made the Deals Gap run in my car and bike. No tickets, no close calls, no nada. Oh, yeah, and no right knee dragging either. :D

With my regular gear on (First time running through, getting a feel for the road...which is AWESOME)

img_1637.jpg

And monkey suit on:

img_9862.jpg

Yep, that's about all I can get on a right turn. I don't *think* it's a mind related thing for me, it's gotta be bad form or something. I did manage to hit the peg feelers quite frequently on both left and right, which to me is one or the other (Or both): Going too fast for the road, or not enough getting off the bike.

And my reason for going over the white line in my car/tow rig? Easy... I just got done riding that road on a bike. Drivin' cautiously, as to not go left to center. I figure I can run off the right side of the road easier than a biker can.

FYI, I'm still on the stock craptastic tires on the Ninjette. Gonna order some Pirelli's in a few weeks. From my previous bikes (ZX-10/Honda SuperHawk) I know just how much tires can transform a bike.

alocker

I commend you for wearing the proper gear but...

You may not get favorable feedback on this site. Especially after the post before yours.

I absolutely, positively, undoubtedly, guarantee you will have more fun trying to get a knee down on a closed course. You already have the gear and the bike, WTF are you doing riding Deals Gap.

Deals gap is a strip club, the track is the real thing.

bodell

You should make your boyfriends wear the proper gear too. I know that they are sexy and you wanted the photos, but it is very dangerous to take such a risk. Imagine how bad you would feel if they were to fall down and scrape their knee, or even worse, their butt? Then where would you be?

I appreciate what bodell and alocker have said and are trying to do for Otto Man.

The problem is if Otto has never been on a closed course trying to explain what its like is completely alien as he has no point of refrence. If you say "you'll go fast" the wannabe fast rider says "I've gone fast" at Deals Gap or whatever public road riders exploit in that area. Its simply a case of "You don't know what you don't know". I've banged my head against the wall trying to explain to squids and other street riders the corner speeds acheived on the track connot be acheived on the street witthout serious risk/ death or just cannot be done due to design of the public roads. I just get deer in headlight stares.

As far as getting your knee down Otto, just some advice to save you some possible pain. First place I got my knee down was a parking lot. Check out the Lee Parks book "Total Control". He has some exrecises regarding body position, whcih can be set up in a parking lot, and if done right you get your knee down all at 25 mph. You won't be on the street putting yourself and others at risk and will still have fun.

Lastly, you can have your pictures taken at the Gap whcih make you "look" fast or you can come to the track and have pictures taken that show you know hoe to "go" fast. If its image you are after, keep riding the Gap. If its skill you after, come to the track.

My 2 cents.

BZ

Mikey75702

Bubba Zanetti;195807 wrote: I appreciate what bodell and alocker have said and are trying to do for Otto Man.

The problem is if Otto has never been on a closed course trying to explain what its like is completely alien as he has no point of refrence. If you say "you'll go fast" the wannabe fast rider says "I've gone fast" at Deals Gap or whatever public road riders exploit in that area. Its simply a case of "You don't know what you don't know". I've banged my head against the wall trying to explain to squids and other street riders the corner speeds acheived on the track connot be acheived on the street witthout serious risk/ death or just cannot be done due to design of the public roads. I just get deer in headlight stares.

As far as getting your knee down Otto, just some advice to save you some possible pain. First place I got my knee down was a parking lot. Check out the Lee Parks book "Total Control". He has some exrecises regarding body position, whcih can be set up in a parking lot, and if done right you get your knee down all at 25 mph. You won't be on the street putting yourself and others at risk and will still have fun.

Lastly, you can have your pictures taken at the Gap whcih make you "look" fast or you can come to the track and have pictures taken that show you know hoe to "go" fast. If its image you are after, keep riding the Gap. If its skill you after, come to the track.

My 2 cents.

BZ

First off, I agree with BZ... Take in point blueninja... He thought he was the fastest thing on the forum BEFORE going to the track.... After he went, he admitted it was a very humbling experience.

As far as a decent way to explain the difference between track and street...... On the wera boards, they say the difference between trackdays and racing is like the difference between the strip club and banging the prom queen.... I think the same could apply for the difference between trackdays and street riding.

jimgl3

bodell;195841 wrote: Ok, I am confused now.
you can't put a square peg in a round hole

unless it's a big fing hole

:dunno:

and Otto, you have your photos reversed: the top one is the monkey suit and the bottom one is proper attire. now just get bike to proper venue and you're all set.

RandyO

Am really tired of seeing the carnage up at Deals Gap/HellBender/Cherahola myself... I have quit going to "group MnG's" for that very reason.. Always some guy that thinks he is going to prove something by going faster than the next guy.. It all comes to a reality check about the time the chopper sits down to pick up the broken bodies to haul them back to the university medical center...

Something about going fast with an ambulance in clear view that always makes me a bit more confident...

1 track day = a lifetime of street riding (could be literal)

bodell

I have a right turning condition...

I have a public road drifting question. I can really get the car sideways to the left, but I have some kind of mental block kicking it out to the right. Is this a problem with my factory tires? I had better tires on my Ferrari, but decided to get rid of it for my current car because it was simply too much horsepower to learn how to drift with. I am going down to the gap this weekend to do some hard core training and would apreciate it if you had any tips on how to get a really cool photo from killboy.

n68101674_35153981_5140.jpg

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
bodell;195911 wrote: I have a right turning condition...

I have a public road drifting question. I can really get the car sideways to the left, but I have some kind of mental block kicking it out to the right. Is this a problem with my factory tires? I had better tires on my Ferrari, but decided to get rid of it for my current car because it was simply too much horsepower to learn how to drift with. I am going down to the gap this weekend to do some hard core training and would apreciate it if you had any tips on how to get a really cool photo from killboy.

ht[/quote]
Your trolling is weak, try harder. And really, next time, you shouldn't photoshop pictures you masterbate to on pictures of bikes. That's just...wrong. What did the bike ever do to you?

They say you learn something everyday, and today I did. I was unaware that NESBAian's never went over the speed limit. Ever. It's a good thing you guys don't, otherwise you'd almost be as big a hypocrite as most politicians. I am also very flaunted that people think I can reach ground breaking speeds on a Ninja 250. F'ing sweet. ;)

Mikey75702

Otto Man;195925 wrote: Your trolling is weak, try harder. And really, next time, you shouldn't photoshop pictures you masterbate to on pictures of bikes. That's just...wrong. What did the bike ever do to you?

They say you learn something everyday, and today I did. I was unaware that NESBAian's never went over the speed limit. Ever. It's a good thing you guys don't, otherwise you'd almost be as big a hypocrite as most politicians. I am also very flaunted that people think I can reach ground breaking speeds on a Ninja 250. F'ing sweet. ;)
No one is saying that we don't nor ever have broken the speed limit. All of us feel the same way, even though some represent it in different ways.... Riding like that on the street is stupid, dangerous, and casts a bad image on sportbikes. Most, if not all of us have done it, and once someone that was on the track found out, they gave us the same hazing you are getting. Please stop riding insane on the street, and bring it to the track. After your first time on the track, you will see what we are talking about.

Otto Man;195925 wrote: Your trolling is weak, try harder. And really, next time, you shouldn't photoshop pictures you masterbate to on pictures of bikes. That's just...wrong. What did the bike ever do to you?

Let me guess, you are under 25 years of age.

BZ

jimgl3

my first track day i drug things that sparked! now i try not to drag stuff... it just slows me down! funny how that works huh?
picture.php

oh, and those are sport touring tires in that photo too btw
and i'll be damned... i'm turning right!!!

bodell

Otto Man;195925 wrote: Your trolling is weak, try harder.
Trolling? I live here, bitch.

Otto Man;195925 wrote: I was unaware that NESBAian's never went over the speed limit. Ever. It's a good thing you guys don't, otherwise you'd almost be as big a hypocrite as most politicians.
Go post that stupid shit over on the WERA bbs. Everyone is being nice over here.

Otto Man;195925 wrote: I am also very flaunted that people think I can reach ground breaking speeds on a Ninja 250. F'ing sweet. ;)
All you need to do is cross center. Doesnt matter how fast. BTW WTF "flaunted"?

Otto Man;195925 wrote:
They say you learn something everyday, and today I did.
Not yet, but I am pulling for you.

Bubba Zanetti;195930 wrote:
Let me guess, you are under 25 years of age.

BZ
As if the Ninja 250 in complete leathers for a "first trip" to the the Gap did not spell it out. $10 says its financed too. I hope he bought the gap insurance. (no pun intended) Hell, I would guess under 21 and a virgin as well.