I have question regarding how to initiate lean on a motorcycle.

jim3

Since I already have a plate and screws in my shoulder, I’m hoping to avoid falling down in the future…any comments on this post are appreciated….(PS: I also put this post up on Gixxer.com)…

I have question regarding how to initiate lean on a motorcycle. What about leaning the bike in the opposite direction (similar to counter steering) to initiate lean?

I’ve used counter steering (pushing on the inside bar) but, I’ve low-sided in the wet.

I’ve used counter steering, pulling on the outside bar with two fingers on the grips and two on the lever. This time, when I hit a small patch of gravel, the handlebars wiggled and I stood the bike up and then counter steered again (when the patch of gravel cleared), to make it around the corner.

I’ve used leg pressure (not focusing on counter steering - but I probably was) and slid, in gravel, around a corner and basically maintained the same lean. When the gravel patch ended, the bike continued around the corner.

Any thoughts, on focusing on leg pressure to initiate lean on a bike? Does it work? Does anyone use it?

Tony A

The only way you'll get a bike to turn is input into the handlebars, Leg pressure, foot peg pressure and others will all can help with the finese of a turn but it will not initiate the turn.
Push on the left bar you go left, push on right bar you go right, push harder and you turn harder or get to lean angle quicker. This is called countersteer but the term seems to confuse alot of people. But if rode a bicycle when young your instint to do it is there. And we didn't call it anything then.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
It's good that you're asking questions, but seriously. There's waaay more important things to be thinking about. If you have more related questions, it'll be much more efficient to read a couple books than to wait for responses on the forum. Keith Code's books are pretty much the gold standard. My personal favorite is "Performance Riding Techniques" by Andy Ibbott.

jim3

Thanks guys…I was scared each time the bike slid. I didn’t expect any of them.

The one thing that concerned me was the 2nd slide where I stood the bike up. If I didn’t have run-off (a small amount in my lane) , I would have hit a concrete barrier.

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
Sounds like you might need to work on being more smooth with your inputs (throttle, pressure on the bars, etc). Any time you change these it changes the geometry of the bike and if done too abruptly will can cause the bike to lose traction. If you are riding in any condition that has less traction (wet, debris on the road, etc) this becomes even more critical as you will lose traction even sooner.

Good luck and if you want to read up on the physics of leaning/steering a motorcycle, get "Twist of the Wrist" by Keith Code.

ftlbs

Avoid the gravel or buy a dirt bike and go play in it! More seat time has helped me transition from dirt bike experience to the street. I would say that the rear sliding out in the dirt was fun but still makes me nervous on the street. I still get the urge to put my inside foot down. I've also gained valuable body work and paint experience in the process.:eek:

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
gravel, sand, walls...3 posts total...stop riding the street if you're going to test your lean limits.

Come to the track, ask a CR to help you with body positioning, and work on technique in every session in every turn throughout a track day.

miller

Control Rider
Lean angle is a byproduct of steering input. If you do not steer the bike it will not want to lean. You seem to be changing how you ride based off of road conditions. It doesn't work that way. Like someone said earlier, the street is no place to play with lean angles and speed. It is too unpredictable. I don't get into the forums much, but if you have further questions or would like to discuss this more feel free to contact me direct: yaprickya900@yahoo.com

nrcooled

Sounds more like you need to improve your awareness and vision. Make sure that you are constantly looking for the "vanishing point*" and scanning back looking for obstacles, corners, hazards, cars, kids, dogs, etc.

By doing this you are always prepared and you can adjust speed, bike attitude, and position accordingly. Most new/inexperienced riders and drivers stare directly in front of the vehicle and make 5000 inputs every second adjusting to the quickly changing environment. When you scan ahead you don't have to make so many adjustments because I are already prepared for what is coming and things just don't "come up".

This is important on the track to go faster. It's important on the street to stay alive.

*the vanishing point is where you can see no further due to raises in the road, where you can see no further around a corner, etc.

When I started tracking my car years ago my in-car instructor would always say "eyes up"..."eyes up". Always keep your eyes up and look ahead. Don't get stuck looking down or staring at a bumper or rear tire...it's a recipe for disaster.

vivamotorsiklo

i think the OP wasnt really asking about performance riding technique but basic turning procedures.

jim3-
to piggy back on what everyone said, to change direction, all you need is to steer the handle bars. when you steer, do not push the bike down to the ground but forward and away from you. practice at your local parking lot until everything clicks. its really easy.. if you are having problems though, it would be best to consult someone whose been riding for a while. dont stress and overanalyze. keep it simple and just practice.