I Miss NESBA

You know, you never realize how good some things are until they are gone. I have been in Utah now for one month and have done 3 track days. I have done 1 day at Miller and 2 days at Reno-Fernley Raceway, and do I miss NESBA oh so much. Here are some examples of things I have seen…

Miller
-Trackday that started at 5:30pm and went to 8:30pm. Doing 2 groups (A plus fast I, and slow I plus B) and rotating 20 min sessions. This was a cool concept and allowed for five 20 min sessions. Downside was that the last session they allowed ALL people were on track and that was nuts. Think putting people on Putnam that run 1:50’s and people that run 1:15’s (try to navigate that one), and there was very little “rest time”.
-Trackday where there were NO “control riders” or anything…. A free for all and people having no idea where the line is.
-People putting their hand up and rolling off ON THE STRAIGHT because they saw a yellow flag being displayed. I passed them (I know you’re not supposed to pass under yellow but that is ridiculous and dangerous to roll off on the straight away especially when they “fan out”)
-No track marshal that put you out on the track. You went though about 200-300 ft of Armco and then looked down the straight to make sure nobody was coming after some guys in riding boots waved you by.
-Open passing as long as you gave a 6ft buffer in every group.
-Very nice people there and the hosts were nice. I just would have liked to see things run a little “tighter”.

Reno
-Under red flag we were instructed to stop on the track at the CW station and wait for instructions on a red flag (from track marshal himself). I asked if I heard him right and he said “It’s a 3 mile track and we need to roll as fast as possible for an incident if needed”.
-People allowed to ride more than one group (for example an A rider could ride in A and then ride in B with his buddies if he wanted).
-People riding 2 up in every group (some of them were the “Control Riders” and their significant others)
-AFM champion was there pimping his track school and doing free lessons (Cory Call)…. This was pretty sweet, but to me seemed very similar to NESBA CR’s.
-Track Marshal saying no wheelies were allowed anywhere on the track (makes sense and is like every track I have been to). Then he said “Unless your Cory Call then you can do wheelies wherever you want”, and sure as hell Call liked to do wheelies (down the front stretch, up the hill in the S turns, pretty much wherever I saw him).
-Saw a “Control Rider” take out somebody trying to pass them and watched the street bodywork shatter into a million pieces.
-The hosting group was very nice, and was making sure everybody had a good time. Watched video at the end of the day from camera’s and photo’s to help people improve.
-Don’t think I will make the 8 hour drive to go back this track anytime soon.

rk97

^ how much you wanna bet half the riders there think that's totally normal and ok, and would bitch about NESBA being "too uptight and restrictive" if they did an event?

rk97;145114 wrote: ^ how much you wanna bet half the riders there think that's totally normal and ok, and would bitch about NESBA being "too uptight and restrictive" if they did an event?

I am guessing they would find it that way until the light came on and they realized that it was much safer, and easier to learn that way.

Insomniac

The west coast groups seem to like the "stop on track under red" rule. At Thunderhill I found it quite odd when they told us to do just that. I also found it interesting that if you go down, they don't want you to try riding it back. This particular group would send out a CR on a scooter to pick you up, and you'd get your bike back at lunch or the end of the day. The groups idea of CR's was dismal, they didn't even wear anything so you could identify them.

I also met some folks from Oregon who quite literally hated NESBA up there, I think it had something to do with wheelie rules? At THill they were letting people wheelie out of the pit.

Since you're in Utah, you might like to know Yamaha is sponsoring two free days out at Miller next month. Free for 09+, $50/day for 08- Yamaha's.

Trent1098S

WTF.. I don't think I could intentionally stop on a racetrack if I tried to, for any reason. (It only seems to happen when I don't try.)

How is stopping on a racetrack for a red flag safer? If the guy behind you don't get the message, it's a set up for a massive closing speed impact. Then instead of having one guy needing a bus transport, you'd have a few needing air transport.

I don't like that at all.

rk97

I don't like it either, but I've ridden a track (Calabogie) where that's how they do things.

I don't know the length of the circuit off-hand, but it's 21 turns, and an "Advanced" pace is a 2:15 lap there. The track record is 2:00. Beginners can push the 3:00 mark.

It's not "stop on track," it's continue at pace, throw a hand up to indicate you're coming off pace, then move off the race line, and stop on the opposite side of the track from where you'd be riding. Don't stop in an impact zone in case someone else didn't get the message.

Calabogie's ambulance roles through the infield, so it can potentially pop out in front of riders without having to pass them. And beyond turn number X, they will wave you into the pits for a red flag - they just don't want to have to wait a full 3 minutes for a beginner on a ninja 250 (they rent them) to complete a full lap before the ambulance can safely roll.

I don't like the rationale, but I understand it.

zeus

Control Rider
Insomniac;145481 wrote:

Since you're in Utah, you might like to know Yamaha is sponsoring two free days out at Miller next month. Free for 09+, $50/day for 08- Yamaha's.
Do you know the dates of this?

rk97

damn - what does a day usually cost at Miller?

You could buy a Yamaha right before the event, and it would be like getting a $400+ discount on the bike if you rode both days for free.

Insomniac;145481 wrote:

Yeah, I saw that but unfortunately I have a Suzuki :(

I am doing Miller West in Aug and Miller full in September. Hopefully, by April of next year I will be back in the Midwest. My Navy work here in Utah should be done by then and I can head back home.

rk97;145528 wrote: damn - what does a day usually cost at Miller?

You could buy a Yamaha right before the event, and it would be like getting a $400+ discount on the bike if you rode both days for free.

Miller full is $260, I am paying $199 for Miller West, and I paid $150 for 5 sessions on Miller east. Not the cheapest, but what are the odds of me having my bike out here in Utah again?

Hitman954

Ive also talked to a couple guys around here that hate nesba. Totaly took me by surprise to thier answer of why. They said nesba is too strict. They said they had trouble passing tech. I laughed then realized they were serious. What ever, I like it this way. Guess thats why there are other organizations out there.

rk97

i've have a few local guys tell me that they won't ride with NESBA because inside passing isn't allowed in Intermediate.

Really? because i LOVE that about NESBA. I get to choose whether or not I want to put myself in a position to be taken out by someone else's lowside rather than having them make that decision for me? Sounds perfect.

Plus (as Brian Blume mentioned during our SED track walk) NESBA's passing rules force you to learn different passing skills. Throwing it up the inside is probably the easiest thing to do. It doesn't really teach you anything.

Dieselboy

rk97;145619 wrote: i've have a few local guys tell me that they won't ride with NESBA because inside passing isn't allowed in Intermediate.

Really? because i LOVE that about NESBA. I get to choose whether or not I want to put myself in a position to be taken out by someone else's lowside rather than having them make that decision for me? Sounds perfect.

Plus (as Brian Blume mentioned during our SED track walk) NESBA's passing rules force you to learn different passing skills. Throwing it up the inside is probably the easiest thing to do. It doesn't really teach you anything.
I agree, practicing specific passes repeatedly is a good way to master the technique. Following people, recognizing their weaknesses and making a move, instead of just dive bombing them in a corner. You really have to prove yourself to get bumped, you can't just waltz in and ride with the A guys.

danch

Hitman954;145615 wrote: Ive also talked to a couple guys around here that hate nesba. Totaly took me by surprise to thier answer of why. They said nesba is too strict. They said they had trouble passing tech. I laughed then realized they were serious. What ever, I like it this way. Guess thats why there are other organizations out there.
They couldn't pass tech? Either they couldn't find a roll of painter's tape or their bike was about to fall apart. Or maybe they wanted to ride the track wearing a half-helmet with a spike on top?