I Need My Suspension Setup

nrcooled

BAD!!!

I am still running on the stock suspension settings and I run a quick "I" pace/slow "A" pace. I am getting tons of squat on corner exit and a lot more dive under braking then I should.

I will be at BeaveRun with NESBA and I didn't know if there will be someone there (vendor/CR/guru) that can help me get my suspension sorted. I am willing to pay but I just need recommendations on who/where I should take my bike to get this done.

Bluenvy

buck or todd, and im assuming pretty much all the CR's could help get you a good ballpark set up. todd did mine at beaver and it made a nice difference. now i have gpsuspension internals and a penske triple and had that set up by ken at superbike suspension

Bluenvy

buck miller and todd gerbsch are CR's. they have been at beaver every time i have been there so i assume they will be there anytime an event is at beaver. when are you going? ill be there may 2/3

nrcooled

I'm going to be there 4/18 and 4/19. I'm hoping the weather will cooperate better then my last NJMP trip.

avizpls

#11-A
I'll be there 4/18 as a first timer and I would love to have some set-up help as well. So I'll be in the same boat.

rcr14

If your heavier than average your stock springs are too soft. Also the range of adjustment is very narrow. has your static sag been set? set that first. Hit ebay and pick up a shock. All of this is IMO. I think if you are getting faster you've got to look at $$ in suspension.

physicistkev

Control Rider
One thing you can do is make sure you have the proper springs for you, your gear and your bikes weight. That is the first thing you need to get done. Without that, you will end up having to redo any work you do now when you get the proper springs.

Most modern bikes have great suspensions and only need to have the springs set to the correct weight. You can get someone to help you with setting your sag. Usually 25mm front and rear, or 25mm in the front and 30mm in the rear. I do 25/25. From there it's just a lot of seat time. I may be at the Beave, if so come on by and I can give you a hand. Just look for the old GSXR (1992 white/blue paint job)

nrcooled

physicistkev;44964 wrote: One thing you can do is make sure you have the proper springs for you, your gear and your bikes weight. That is the first thing you need to get done. Without that, you will end up having to redo any work you do now when you get the proper springs.

Most modern bikes have great suspensions and only need to have the springs set to the correct weight. You can get someone to help you with setting your sag. Usually 25mm front and rear, or 25mm in the front and 30mm in the rear. I do 25/25. From there it's just a lot of seat time. I may be at the Beave, if so come on by and I can give you a hand. Just look for the old GSXR (1992 white/blue paint job)
Thanks for the input. I'll hunt around for you in the pits.

I am going to start playing a bit with the sag and get that setup. I am 6" 220lbs so I'm well out of the range of the stock stuff but it's been working for me so far.

Bossgobbler

nrcooled;45349 wrote: Thanks for the input. I'll hunt around for you in the pits.

I am going to start playing a bit with the sag and get that setup. I am 6" 220lbs so I'm well out of the range of the stock stuff but it's been working for me so far.

"The best you've ridden is the best you know." - quote from Trevitt's book on suspension.

physicistkev

Control Rider
The above quote is very true. It says 2 things.

1. Its amazing how much you can adapt/compensate for a flaw in your setup.

2. It shows how much the bikes performance relies on the riders ability to use it.

You can have the best bike in the world, but if you don't know what you are doing then your going to be a backmarker. Also, the most talented rider is going to be fast on just about anything. Very little doubt that Rossi is faster on a moped than most NESBA riders would be on his GP bike. (That's an exaggeration, but probably not to far from the truth.)

My next fortune cookie can be opened after the next track day.

Bossgobbler

physicistkev;45504 wrote: The above quote is very true. It says 2 things.

1. Its amazing how much you can adapt/compensate for a flaw in your setup.

2. It shows how much the bikes performance relies on the riders ability to use it.

You can have the best bike in the world, but if you don't know what you are doing then your going to be a backmarker. Also, the most talented rider is going to be fast on just about anything. Very little doubt that Rossi is faster on a moped than most NESBA riders would be on his GP bike. (That's an exaggeration, but probably not to far from the truth.)

My next fortune cookie can be opened after the next track day.
I agree, though the take home message for me was - and Trevitt goes on about this - don't be afraid to experiment with your settings. Trevitt's book is good starting point. I like what I've seen from Dave Moss as well.

Mike Moore

nrcooled;44902 wrote: BAD!!!

..... I am willing to pay but I just need recommendations on who/where I should take my bike to get this done.
+1 on getting the baseline set with the proper springs.

A good beer is payment enough. Just look for any of the yellow shirts that say Staff on the back. I should role in Friday night around 10pm. Will be glad to help.

rk97

This is one of those things i feel like they should account for at the dealership... Most Japanese bikes are sprung for 160 lbs Japanese riders.

new fork springs are only $90 or so from www.sonicsprings.com (use their spring-rate calculator). Slightly more from Racetech.

Re-springing a stock shock is something I never got around to, but that's not a bad way to spend money either. Way cheaper than a penske.

nrcooled

Thanks for the link RK. I am going to talk with a local shop to see about getting some work done on the suspension to set it up for my weight and enlist the help of some track friends to dial it in at the track.

Meat

rk97;45616 wrote: This is one of those things i feel like they should account for at the dealership... Most Japanese bikes are sprung for 160 lbs Japanese riders.
So they spring them for the obese Japanese native. ;-)

Fatboy

The stock stuff is only good to about 185lbs. For now, get the sag as close as you can, screw the rebound and compression IN all the way front and rear, then back it out 2 clicks. Ride it and adjust from there
Fast "I" guy @ 220lbs, you won't go much further/faster with the stock stuff

rcr14

I think buying a used race bike,with susp. work done,is cheaper. Well if the seller is close too your weight.

nrcooled

So I didn't touch a thing and still had a blast at the Beav but I think I will get punished at VIR north next week. I am going to see about getting some help at the track there.

Thanks all!