Ice Riding in Tower City

Ryan95

The plan is to ride on the ice tomorrow. I have not actually checked the quality of the ice since the freezing rain/snow, but there are supposed to be people cleaning it off today. It is plenty thick and there has been people riding on it for the last 3 weeks. There has been much discussion about this over last few years but I have only had a few Nesbians come out ant try it. I-81 to the Tower City exit (RT209 south) Go through Tower City to a town called Sheridan. Make a right on George St. and the pond is at the end of the street.

bigkaley

Control Rider
Had a great time today. I got up there a little late, but Ryan was there and there were a few other guys there running. Ryan has a YZF-250F that he preps for the ice. I got to ride the YZF in basically the "oval" configuration. That was my first time riding a bike on ice. Traction is very surprising!! While I did have a bit of an issue getting going...(stalled twice!... and my size 12 A-stars Tech 6's were slipping off the kicker), I can proudly say that I didn't go down on the ice!!!". And now that I've jinxed myself, I'm sure next time I'll spend most of the day checking the "shock strength" of the ice with my 300+ pound ass repeatedly falling on it ....:doh:

The other guys there were running CRF-150's and were flying. One thing I was kind of surprised to find out was that one of the guys running on the 150's was none other than Jake Johnson. Not sure who that is?.... well click and find out.... http://www.superplushsuspension.com/johnson01.jpg

Here's a little video I got of Jake (#5 bike) and his buddy (#57) riding/ playing on the ice. I have another vid of Ryan riding, but Youtube is taking it's good 'ol time "processing" the vid of Ryan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9i3wNPWblA

Hoping to go up next weekend and run again, but this time my friend and I will be running some quads, a LTZ-400 and a Predator 500. Should be some fun!

1literduceater

Sorry I missed out on this one. I will be sure to come up next Saturday. I HAVE to see this (i.e. YOU) in person!

Can I bring my girls CRF 50 and pass you on the outside??? Just asking.

bigkaley

Control Rider
From what I was told, Sunday's are usually the day they ride. They get there around noon. My friend and I are trying to get up there with the quads on Sunday.

As for why you guys hate your 50's so much that you want me on one, I'm not sure why you'd want to do that to the poor little bike.:eek:

Also, you won't be able ride the 50's on the ice without screws in the tires....

rcr14

those thing have so much grip. i found their limits tho. I remember Rick Hawk's bike falling though couple years back. I missed this post,think i could have made it up.:doh:

Ryan95

Sorry Doug, I wasn't completely sure the ice was good until I got there myself. Had I known for sure I would have called.

1literduceater

Good time yesterday - thank you Tom and Ryan.

Riding on ice is insane and yet at the same times makes so much sense once you do it! I went up yesterday to spectate for a little while. I wasnt there 5 minutes and Tom was throwing his helmet and gloves on me and said to go ride his 4 wheeler. Who am I to turn down that invite! So I got on it. First ten feet out on the track a nailed the throttle fully expecting to spin up the rear tires - there was NONE! In fact it hooked up so well that the front tires came off the ground albeit just an inch or two. First turn was a bit hairy cause I still wasnt sure it was going to go where I wanted it to. Well it did and quite quickly. It was crazy how much grip you had. That thing hooked up everywhere and at any time. Sadly 6-7 laps later I was pooped! My rear shoulders were burnt and my ankles were cold - again I came dressed to spectate not ride. Ryan on his dirtbike was fun to watch. I was suprised to see how well the 2 wheels kept up with if not was faster then the 4 wheelers. I am getting itchy to stud out my daughters CRF 50!! Thanks again guys.

bigkaley

Control Rider
You left too early! I got back on the YZF-250F.....although I still couldn't start it myself.:argh: Damn size 12 A-Star motocross boots don't work well on the little YZF kicker.
As much fun that the 300ex four-wheeler was, the bike on the ice is even more fun!!! And it's easier on you. Very weird feeling that, unlike roadracing, you actually sit upright nearly the whole time through the corner and push the bike down underneath you (think "counter-leaning" from roadracing). The grip is actually amazing.

Conditions weren't their best. The pond was snow covered and hadn't been cleared. Made it difficult for the bike, but the four-wheelers (3 or 4 of us) were running around and clearing some of the snow off.

Still had a good time, and it was good to see you come out, Chris. Maybe some others will stop in if they're able. We'll try to post up here in advance.....

Oh, and Chris, there's video evidence!! I'm working on getting it posted......

1literduceater

I can call you now?!?!?

I will call you next time I go. I believe they ride most every Sunday if conditions are fit. I will be unable to go next Sunday.

slowpoke

If you guys are going AND not inviting Sanders, please shoot me a PM or post up b/c I'd love to go as well.

I'm pretty sure I can borrow a quad that's been ice prepped. How difficult/expensive is the ice prep for the YZ? Not sure if I'd do it just for a weekend or two, but I've done a lot dumber things.