In between trackdays

Ruhe52

So you rolled the bike into the trailer assuming it looks the same as when it rolled out. You made the drive home. Now what? What do you guys do to the bike to prep for the next event?

Mike Ruhe
SE CR 52
2006 Yamaha R6
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2010 BMW S1000rr
2011 Suzuki GSXR 750

Support our Servicemen and Women
www.swettwarriors.org

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Review my GoPro footage to see where I'm still dragging ass at, which sadly is just about the entire track.

Flip/change tire with my trusty Harbor Freight changer if needed.

Give the bike a pre flight check for the next event. I absolutely refuse to be the guy that works on his bike at the track. When I show up, I throw the warmers on and ride. I see so many people doing routine work on their bike like coolant change, changing oil, adjusting chain, etc etc. That shit should already be done by the time you get there. If you had just crashed and are making repairs, that's one thing. But if you knew it wasn't ready to go...well, you're missing sessions and putting un-needed stress on you for no reason.

Toddgotfish

Control Rider
I always oil the chain right after the final session of the day. when home, unload change oil and filter giving all bolts and nuts the once over and wash and clean the wheels

Ruhe52

Bike goes on the lift. This may seem excessive but with somewhere between 28-34 days required in my mind to keep in top order

Bodywork debugged cleaned up then removed
- if time for oil change do oil and filter
- check all other fluids and top off where needed (if after 6th outing run fresh brake fluid through and bleed)
- check suspension and clean( 2 times a season linkage gets pulled cleaned fresh grease and installed this is also a good time for that mid season refresh on forks and rear shock at Performance Cycleworx :D )
- nut and bolt inspection. Yes every nut and bolt.
- check chain and sprockets for wear clean and re lube
Remove wheels do flip or fresh rubber inspect and clean wheels make sure wheel weights still secure and taped. Check bearings grease seals etc
- clean rotors, check pads replace if needed clean calipers , check all lines to make sure secure and no wear
- while wheels are removed clean entire chassis
-check radiator for debris and or bent cooling fines blow out track rubber from cox radiator guard
- install wheels, bodywork final wipe down
Ready to go.

Have this down without refresh to about an hour.

That hour assures me that the only loose nut on the bike is me:D

Well Ruhe, it all depends upon my milage calculations.

From my one trackday in May I didnt put many miles on the TZ. So when I signed up for the August trackdays all I did was remove the bodywork and go over all bolts and items. Checked fluids (yes a 2T has some). Put bodywork on, mixed up some fuel and fired it up and ran through a heat cycle. Let it cool, drained the tank and carb and put the cover back over it.

Track day came, load into mini-van and travel to NJMP.

At the minimum I always go over the bike before I head to the track. Usually a good week before the date(s) so I have time to correct an issue.

BZ

bmrboy

As stated in RUHE's post - bike is on the lift at the moment .... A complete once over , front to back cleaning

- check all hardware , re torque as Necessary , it's a new track bike only 7 sessions, but even more reason to check-over.
- remove wheels check wheel bearings & check steering head as well
- shift lever pivot modification ... Drill & tap 6 x 1.0 pivot post , re-bush accordingly , check operation , safety wire , done.
- remove calipers has new pads , but wanted to check wear anyway ...

IMHO ..... Having your bike 100% prepared is essential , now I understand that things CAN happen ........ :dunno:
But there is ready no reason to be flying down the track down the track at 150 mph with parts falling off you bike
it's just really not a good idea .... :wow: catching an Axle nut in the chest ..... will really freaking HURT !!!!!
never mind what could possibly happen to the rider or anybody around them then things go very wrong .... :eek:

We must all remember ..... you are not alone out there .... there may be 30 guys out there with you ..... :agree:
Bike maintenance & rider safety is essential ..... there are no do-overs , we're not playing Golf here .....
Coming to the track ready to ride , mechanically , mentally , physically , makes for a better experience for all. :D

Again , IMHO .... thread locker , safety wire everything you can , tape over wheel weights , paint hardware , so you can
see that everything is good to go .... REMEMBER ... Your bike is the only thing between you & the pavement !!!!
That's my nickels worth ..... :D

Southerly

Let's see.

Take it off the trailer
Remove tape
Replace turn signals and license plate
Put headlight fuse back in
Adjust tire pressure for street use
Ride to work the next day.

Reverse procedure the day before the next track day

I do check fluids, bolts, and bleed the front brakes before leaving for the track.

Ex. 39

Ruhe52;286795 wrote: Bike goes on the lift. This may seem excessive but with somewhere between 28-34 days required in my mind to keep in top order

Bodywork debugged cleaned up then removed
- if time for oil change do oil and filter
- check all other fluids and top off where needed (if after 6th outing run fresh brake fluid through and bleed)
- check suspension and clean( 2 times a season linkage gets pulled cleaned fresh grease and installed this is also a good time for that mid season refresh on forks and rear shock at Performance Cycleworx :D )
- nut and bolt inspection. Yes every nut and bolt.
- check chain and sprockets for wear clean and re lube
Remove wheels do flip or fresh rubber inspect and clean wheels make sure wheel weights still secure and taped. Check bearings grease seals etc
- clean rotors, check pads replace if needed clean calipers , check all lines to make sure secure and no wear
- while wheels are removed clean entire chassis
-check radiator for debris and or bent cooling fines blow out track rubber from cox radiator guard
- install wheels, bodywork final wipe down
Ready to go.

Have this down without refresh to about an hour.

That hour assures me that the only loose nut on the bike is me:D
pretty much word for word what i do to my bike every single time. Typically about a week or so before the next event.

leanangler

Control Rider
:DHaul trailer and crappola home, take Motrin.:D

Unload bikes, gear, empty cooler, salvaging any uneaten food before it sits in the trailer for 3 days in warm water.

Take Motrin:D

Complete everything that Ruhe said.

I also update the mileage and service logs, (since I started running 2 bikes, I can't keep it straight how many sessions went on which, or when I last changed the oil, so the logs have become a must).

Download the GPS data and pair it to the GOpro video and see where I can go faster.

Put it all back together and convince the wife that I "need" a new ____________ (insert desired item here!)

Wait unpatiently for the next event.:cool:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Take it out of the trailer and clean it with spray-on polish. That gives me a chance to go over everything and check all critical bolts to make sure none are loose. I'll take a look at all fasteners/bodywork, brake pad wear, just a general check of all tech items and then some. Clean/lube the chain. If it's time, I'll change tires and oil. Depending on how many days it's been and how the brakes feel, flush fresh fluid through the front brakes (rear get done once a year). Top up the gas so she's ready to roll for the next day.

zstylem86

the only additional thing I do is clean my fork tubes (R6) after each trackday or sometimes during lunch as well.

bmart

Control Rider
I have en open trailer, so the bike goes back to the garage between track day events. I do to it whatever time/mileage dictate (oil change, etc). I'm running a lot at CMP these days, so it gets a new rear tire every weekend there. I give it a once over, checking brakes, and major nuts/bolts like calipers and axles. I log the miles for the log. I put it on the battery tender every two weeks (alternate it from bike to bike). That's it!

leanangler

Control Rider
Forgot to mention this:

I've been using Sta-bil in all my fuel these days. The ethanol mixed in at the gas pump will eat up fuel lines. The stuff already cost me a fuel pump in the ducati, so I mix it into all my fuel cans when I fill them up. Cheap insurance, especially when the stuff is going to sit for 6-8 weeks.

andykurz

Roll into work the next day: If you see me with my head tilted one way, then the other, then back, then forth...

I'm watching gopro footage. leave me alone.

Domiken

Nothing until a week or two before the next track day. I do look over the bike while storing it to make sure there are not un-needed repairs.

Once I purchase a home and have a nice garage I will do what most of you do.

whitarnold

I have a friend who just popped his 2006 ZX6R engine. He was that guy that went to the track, never used tire warmers, never checked the bike for anything, never cleaned the bike or changed it's oil. He was fast as @#$% also, which would make me mad. When he recently blew his engine up at NOLA on the front straight, I thought to myself hahahhahahhahhhaha. Then he calmly walked over to CSS offered them some $$$ and jumped on a 2010 S1000RR and finished his trackday. The ZX6R is in a dumpster somewhere and the new S1000RR is dirty and in need of a oil change in his garage. Poor bike! BTW, he is still stupid fast. 1:34's at Barber.