Inside passing in Intermediate (hint == you're not supposed to do it)

jas67

Don't be THIS guy:
https://contactpatchphoto.smugmug.c...June-16-18/June-17th/Intermediate/i-J3F9ddn/A
https://contactpatchphoto.smugmug.c...June-16-18/June-17th/Intermediate/i-xDd5JTM/A
Bike #492, red Honda CRB-something-or-another.

Who forced me wide going into T1 at Pitt Race on Sunday, 6-18-23.
(around 5:15 in the video, you can see him go past me on the left between T1 and T2, clearly we are both still leaned over turning left).

I had reports of him doing similar rude maneuvers to others in I group.

This is NOT racing. There are rules for a reason. If he had intended on block passing and braking later than me, that wasn't the result. If you're going for the block pass and can't get it done BEFORE tip-in, back out of it, don't steal the line of the rider ahead of you!

jas67

Don't be THIS guy:
https://contactpatchphoto.smugmug.c...June-16-18/June-17th/Intermediate/i-J3F9ddn/A
https://contactpatchphoto.smugmug.c...June-16-18/June-17th/Intermediate/i-xDd5JTM/A

(around 5:15 in the video, you can see him go past me on the left between T1 and T2, clearly we are both still leaned over turning left).

This is NOT racing. There are rules for a reason. If he had intended on block passing and braking later than me, that wasn't the result. If you're going for the block pass and can't get it done BEFORE tip-in, back out of it, don't steal the line of the rider ahead of you!

This is a screen capture from my gopro video of him passing me between T1 and T2, after running me wide.
YCn28Qn.png

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Sorry you had a bad experience.

I see Ryan was your paddock neighbor shown here in the first clip. You get a chance to pick his brain? He's a fast guy.

tad158

Astronomer not Astrologer
So it looked to me like you blew turn one, as you were way way off line. And he went by you while you were still going toward the right side of the track. And he was well by you by the time you got to the apex of two.

The inside pass is between turn in and apex. If the bike is moving away from the apex, you can drive under the bike in front. Since you were so far off line, it looked like he completed a safe pass to me.

If he gained inside position on the breaks while you were straight up and down, it is your job to pass on the outside on a slightly wide line (still parallel to the race line), or concede the position by slowing a bit more before turn in and giving room.

Since we don't have a side view or back view, it is hard to lay blame on him because from your front view, you can only see you blow t1. And he was beside you while you were still moving away from the apex.

tdelegram

Control Rider
So it looked to me like you blew turn one, as you were way way off line. And he went by you while you were still going toward the right side of the track. And he was well by you by the time you got to the apex of two.

The inside pass is between turn in and apex. If the bike is moving away from the apex, you can drive under the bike in front. Since you were so far off line, it looked like he completed a safe pass to me.

If he gained inside position on the breaks while you were straight up and down, it is your job to pass on the outside on a slightly wide line (still parallel to the race line), or concede the position by slowing a bit more before turn in and giving room.

Since we don't have a side view or back view, it is hard to lay blame on him because from your front view, you can only see you blow t1. And he was beside you while you were still moving away from the apex.
Damn that looks like me and you Brian session 1 on Sunday.

tad158

Upon further inspection you made an all group legal pass on the straight between 2 and 3. :ninja:

1687311344186.png

jas67

I think the best way you should of handled this would have been to go to the Director of the day of.
It was the last session. I did say something to one of the control riders, and actually did see the guy talking to another CR, but, wasn't 100% it was him until I reviewed the video at home. I didn't want to accuse someone without being 100% sure it was the correct rider.

I just wanted to put it out there in case others had issues with him too. Maybe it is an isolated incident. It ended OK so, I'll just move on.
I would like one of those cool 360 degree cameras, as that would show what really happened.

It IS possible he was doing for a block pass (legal), but, didn't get it done early enough to not take my line. I'm glad it was T1 where there is a lot of room, and not T3.

tad158

It IS possible he was doing for a block pass (legal), but, didn't get it done early enough to not take my line.
When you say this, was he next to you when you turned in? As in you were both on the breaks all the way to the turn in point side by side? If so, you, that is totally fine. It is the equliivant of you trying to do an outside pass at that point. You could have just ridden parallell to him, and tried to pass him on the outside.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Don't be THIS guy:

Not saying the CBR was in the right for I group passing rules, but wanted to say that the video did not show a block pass. A block pass would have been him doing that, passing you, then cutting over into your line - that's a block pass.

The camera angle can be hard to distinguish how much or little he did alter your line, but as others have stated, bringing this up the day of instead of later would have been the best option.

Kriswknight

Definitely ran it wide. and To be honest, depending on where that guy/gal was behind you going into turn 1, he/she might not have even seen you again if he/she was following the racing line at the apex, you were actually coming back into his/her line.

jmlrkvmd60

Here's a good one. Inside pass, left kink at PittRace. Notice the brakes when he realizes he F'd up. How I avoided his rear tire is miraculous. Watch at the end, the control rider shaking his head. When I found this guy after the session he denied it. That's when I pulled out my Gopro and let him watch. He caved. From then on I look at the morning meetings to see if he's around.

Kriswknight

Here's a good one. Inside pass, left kink at PittRace. Notice the brakes when he realizes he F'd up. How I avoided his rear tire is miraculous. Watch at the end, the control rider shaking his head. When I found this guy after the session he denied it. That's when I pulled out my Gopro and let him watch. He caved. From then on I look at the morning meetings to see if he's around.
WOW! That was a close one.