Insurance Company

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
What insurance Co. do you use for your streetbike and whats the amount you pay? I'm in New York so I'm looking to get the cheapest comp for the bike! Thanks!

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
I think you'll find that every person with different bikes in every zip code in every state will have different results. I shop every year, as rates seem to change - compared to with car insurance where I have only had two different companies since 1985. As an example, for me Foremost is horribly expensive for the same or less coverage than others. Since I have several street bikes, I also find that for a specific bike one company may be far more competitive for the same coverage than another - however for my 2nd bike it may be the opposite. It's like a massive conspiracy. Also, where one company may be the most competitive at a certain liability/comp level, when you change those policy levels another company may end up being more competitive. Here in PA it used to be better, until the anti-helmet idiots got the law changed making helmets optional. The (good) company I had at that time immediately stopped insuring bikes in PA. My company raised their rates this year and my Blackbird premium is too friggin high, so I'm going through the same search right now. I always check with (in no particular order):

Farmers
Dairyland
Nationwide
GEICO
ForeMost (though they have yet to have a single competitive quote in the last 8 yrs)
Progressive

Here at least, Nationwide and Progressive seem to "usually" do the best. But that is "my" zip code, credit rating, bikes, etc. Good luck. Insurance is the worst part of bike riding.

Southerly

When I was getting insurance on my bike in in 2009 Progressive were more than twice the cost of Foremost here in Georgia. Foremost was $248 last year.

I have seen Foremost advertise special rates for AARP members.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
When I was getting insurance on my bike in in 2009 Progressive were more than twice the cost of Foremost here in Georgia. Foremost was $248 last year.

I have seen Foremost advertise special rates for AARP members.

You sayin' Lenny's OLD??? ;-)

ninjahunter420

My insurance from State Farm was roughly 20% less than the quote I got from Progressive this year. Also in NY. BUT Progressive said they covered track days, and State Farm was less decisive. If I crash there's a chance they won't cover it. Next time I will go with Progressive if the rates are the same.

Natrix

That's great to hear, ninjahunter420, as I was figuring I might have to pay out of pocket if I were to crash at the track (though given how cheap it is to replace parts on my CBR500R, I might still do that rather than pay the deductible).

Regarding Progressive, we've had to make two claims with them, and in both cases, there was absolutely no b.s. They fixed our cars without any hassles, and they did so quite quickly. I've heard of some pretty big headaches with some other insurers. Progressive also seems to be pretty loyal to their loyal customers. That level of service is worth a little extra dough if it saves me a ton of time and hassle shopping around for 5 vehicles and a home.

damiankelly

Hi Len,

State farm is a good company- as long as it is not a timed event---- you are covered -- I know a buddy who got a new helmet as well- all aftermarket stuff is covered--

And WHILE I am selling insurance check out --

http://www.aflac.com/individuals/ac...goNCzCtR0EXzHkxnAZxM4aAk4c8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is a minimal cost for the quickly mounting deductibles and uncovered expenses----- helo and ambulance rides---- etc.. and races are covered-
contact--
Brandon Parrish
owner | broker|RiderSurance| bp@RiderSurance.com
1304 Autumn Sun Ct Suite 201, Louisville, Ky 40243

imadraver

Make Every Moment Matter!
Control Rider
I have a few street options and nobody could touch Farmers price/policy with their multi-bike discount. Very few underwriters give significant multi-bike discounts, which is crazy because you can only ride 1 at a time!

dsmitty37

I had Progressive for 5 years on my 08 GSX-R 600 before I turned it from street/trackday into a full on race bike. I never had a motorcycle claim, but Progressive was always the cheapest when I shopped around. Their coverage was pretty decent without havinbg to add a lot of extra, $1,000 in aftermarket parts coverage @ no extra cost. I also live in NY up by Rochester

ter-dell

we are doing a trip to the tail of the dragon, added full coverage on my street bike (09 cbr600rr) and it was $460.66/year with $500 deductibles, full coverage.
insurance company : state farm

other deciding factors:
my driving record is long...
im 27
single
live in the sticks
have a good credit score (don't understand why this matters for insurance, but in fact it does)