insurance rate question

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Jul 12, 2008
Maryland
RobM;173910 wrote: OK, now I have to ask... I am in a similar situation to an extent, and was considering taking a financed street bike on the track this season. Is the financed bike on the track that bad of an idea, or does it also depend on the other financial factors?

I am 25, and have a 09 financed street bike on a Yamaha credit card (7% interest for 3 years). I would like to give the track a try for a season before buying a VERY cheap dedicated track bike for next year. I have full coverage on my bike, but am assuming the bike insurance would be useless on the track anyways. I understand there is always the potential that I could trash the bike my first day out and would have to continue to pay for a pile of scrap metal, and I am ok with that.

The other factors: I already have a decent career, that covers health, short and long term disability, and life insurance, in case something did happen. I don't have any dependents (wife, kids, girlfriend, pets, etc) so nothing to worry about there. I have my car paid off, and a house, but have another 28 years left of payments... and I am attempting to set aside a couple months worth of payments, but that is a bit difficult while buying all the gear needed for a first track day. $2000 for bike prep (brakes, tires, tools, trailer), and another $3000 for all new track gear, and this is getting to be an expensive addiction even before the first try.

So, with all that said, I was just looking for some input from the older, wiser people here. No guarantees I will follow the advice given, as I am still a stubborn 25 year old that wants to get out on the track. But it will be taken into account.

First off...Fitz..YOU DA MAN!!!! Hope you have an ass that moves like a sewing machine and you got that wife of yours screaming so hard the neighborhood dogs are barking! I hope I speak for us all in saying we're proud of you, Sir!

Second..PJ..I got all warm inside as I read your rant...you seriously got potential Amigo..and I appreciate the cough..cough..compliment.

Rob.....you don't even compare with BlueNinja's situation. He's 24, you're a financially responsible and independent adult.

I feel SO baited...but I cannot resist...I'm taking the hook guys and gals.

If the Ninja's a grad student it's definitely NOT in finance, business, or accounting.

Maybe he's majoring in some sort of medical discipline focusing on sleep disorders, because he's definitely living in a Dream World.

Follow your dreams Ninja...because that's all you'll have if you keep writing these Forum checks you cannot cash.

Bad idea number 1. Just OWNING a new bike you cannot afford to insure.

Bad idea number 2. Taking something you cannot afford to buy and insure to a racetrack.

Bad idea number 3. Riding your bike TO the track to save money. Saw a guy do that at my Team Hammer Advanced Rider's School 12 years ago at Pocono. My Man had him Ninja that would not have passed NESBA Tech and he could not hold a line to save his life because he kept LOOKING BACK in like EVERY turn. Slow as hell and freaky as hell to pass because of it, too.

So he crashes, of course. He's lucky enough to be physically OK, but he's standing there asking John Ulrich how he's going to get home. Ulrich doesn't even hesitate..says, "That's not my problem." Don't know what happened, don't care. Loaded my bike into my trailer and towed it home at the end of the day.

Bad idea 4. Thinking your skills are so damned good you won't crash. I was eating my dinner and perusing this forum and saw this thread and figured I'd read...read that arrogant statement and almost spit my burrito bowl all over my iMac. You already have a wrist rehab thread going...so SERIOUSLY????

Bad idea 5. Coming here like you're going to get all involved with NESBA taking our time, then thinking you're gonna go to TPM. It's like walking into a Coca-Cola Board meeting and cracking open a bottle of ice cold Pepsi, or wearing a Jets Jersey to a Patriots Pep Rally. Both are in poor taste and the 2nd will get your ass kicked.

But the topper of them all is Mikey Meatball is flagging you. That's the icing on the cake. Mikey's got an all timer thread dedicated to his desire to race a bit prematurely..but he's an all around fine fucking human being who is earning our respect round here. I see Mikey...that's just one less left over beer I have to haul home in my cooler.

You want to come in our house..piss in our potted plant and talk about being respected.

Respectfully....Fuck you KID.

bugmn20

Oct 18, 2010
Holy shit, I go to some training for a couple hours and have the pleasant surprise of coming home to 5 more pages of this thread! Thanks Mikey, Fitz, Dzum, diesel, snookie and of course blueninja for this entertainment. I have not met most of you in person, but I am quite excited to this summer.

Anyway, back to the show.
:popcorn:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Mikey75702;174226 wrote: Maybe its $75 per bike, but you ride with the cars:D
Actually, bikes and cars aren't on the track at the same time. They have a rotation for cars, so that's one less rotation for a bike group...

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Mikey75702;174247 wrote: Wtf..... why do I keep getting this gut feeling this is someone F*ing with us??? Control rider, or fast A guy or something........ just keep getting this feeling and have a hard time getting it to go away.
Yeah, I feel like that too. And who did the demo ride? Him, or his Dad? So they were at an event at some point. Well, if this is just someone screwing around, it was entertaining and all, but a lot of folks put some time and effort into trying to educate this guy. If it's really just someone fucking around, that's really a pretty shitty thing to do for this long. I'm done trying to give advice.

Mikey75702

Jun 21, 2009
D-Zum;174291 wrote:

But the topper of them all is Mikey Meatball is flagging you. That's the icing on the cake. Mikey's got an all timer thread dedicated to his desire to race a bit prematurely..but he's an all around fine fucking human being who is earning our respect round here. I see Mikey...that's just one less left over beer I have to haul home in my cooler.
thanks...... I'm getting all warm and gushy inside.

On a serious note, that thread and my own feelings of not wanting to wait for some things help me to see his point of view. I can be just as impatient as he is, so I can see where he is coming from, but it still makes no sense. I would imagine there are more people here that grew up with Colin's view on life then blueninja's. Most of the older crowd seems well established, grounded and pretty dam cool. I know people that had blueninja's train of thought when they were younger and while some of them are very cool they definitely aren't well established or grounded. This is why I am trying to change the way I do things, and hopefully help others younger then me to not screw up.

blueninja1

Aug 16, 2010
i think we can all agree that it is not smart to buy a brand new bike and track it. therefore i am trying to think smarter and more independent than my parents. i want to get a used bike with less than 7k miles on it for about 6,000 most. It sounds doable. the last thing i want to do is payoff a trashed, brand-new 10k bike. I am trying to decide if i should go through a credit union to fully finance the bike with a personal loan. i don't have assets or collateral so this is one of the reasons why an unsecured personal loan would suit me. i have the good credit history to get one and with 60 month periods as low as 4.5 percent its pretty much a win-win situation. it will ensure i can defenitely pay off the debt in time. also, when you do financing through a credit union some don't require full coverage. discuss..

betarace

Jul 14, 2008
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=game%2C%20set%2C%20match
1504851.jpg

bugmn20

Oct 18, 2010
betarace;174331 wrote: dude, why dont you go back to the Naruto board and ask your questions over there? At least that's known to be a fantasy land.
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2566808/Blueninja1

why do you pursue this $6K track bike fantasy when you are looking for a $1K V7 bike at WERA? (which by the way is the smartest move you have made)
http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?p=3447593
betarace;174333 wrote:
... and I see you have achived the rank of "shadow mage" at this board and seem to be acting out some kind of H/E hot tub fantasy

http://www.1up.com/boards/posts/list/0/53397.page

OMFG! This just elevated things to the next level. My jaw hurts from laughing so much at the hot tub thing. Discuss :banghead:

rk97

Jul 13, 2008
blueninja1;174325 wrote: i think we can all agree that it is not smart to buy a brand new bike and track it. therefore i am trying to think smarter and more independent than my parents. i want to get a used bike with less than 7k miles on it for about 6,000 most. It sounds doable. the last thing i want to do is payoff a trashed, brand-new 10k bike. I am trying to decide if i should go through a credit union to fully finance the bike with a personal loan. i don't have assets or collateral so this is one of the reasons why an unsecured personal loan would suit me. i have the good credit history to get one and with 60 month periods as low as 4.5 percent its pretty much a win-win situation. it will ensure i can defenitely pay off the debt in time. also, when you do financing through a credit union some don't require full coverage. discuss..

I don't know why I am still taking these posts seriously, but my general know-it-all nature makes it impossible for me to resist replying...

FACT: it is a dumb idea to finance ANYTHING that you do not absolutely need. By definition, you are paying more (in interest) than you should be for whatever it is you're buying. The only time you should ever finance something is if you need it, but cannot (reasonably) afford to pay cash for it. I don't care how much you want to get on track; you don't need to.

Things that fall into the "need" category: Shelter; transportation for work; and possibly education, if there is a legitimate potential for greater future income to rationalize it. I struggle to think of many others.

FACT: any new vehicle begins depreciating immediately. So not only are you losing money by paying interest; you're also paying more for a vehicle that is continually going down in value. Furthermore, a motorcycle (definitely a track bike) is a toy
, not a mode of transportation. Track bikes are (or should be) disposable. It's like investing in the stock market - don't lay out anything you can't afford to lose. There are certainly people who can afford to finance a track bike, because they could (if they needed to) pay it off in a very short time if they totaled it. They are taking a calculated risk from which they can recover. It may inconvenience them, but it won't bankrupt them. You do not appear to be in a comparable situation.

FACT: there is a reason that financial institutions require full coverage insurance on financed vehicles - they realize the risks, and they're making the smart business decision. Do you really think you're smarter than the banking giants who make billions of dollars a year financing things? If you are willing to take a risk that they are not, you are (almost by definition) making a bad business decision.

If you finance a new bike, then you are one of the least intelligent people I have ever encountered. Has the housing market crash taught you nothing? Being able to finance a bike does not mean you can "afford" one.

IF you are really serious about getting on track, you are going to need; at the minimum:

- gear. You said you have it. Good. Step 1, covered.

- a bike. ANY bike. used ninja 250 sounds like it's just about the only thing in your price range. Maybe ninja 500. I just sold mind for $1200, and you could have ridden it to and from the track in its current state. Mine cost about $300/yr to insure with basic coverage, and very good uninsured/underinsured motorist for ME (not the bike). My policy would not have covered trackdays, but adding such coverage likely would have cost more than the bike's worth, so no big deal.

- funds for trackdays, tires, etc. A small bike can probably do an entire season on 1 set of tires. when i say "small," I'm talking EX500 or smaller, and you will need to use sport-touring tires so that they'll tolerate the heat cycling. Bridgestone BT-45's worked for me, and they're pretty cheap.

if you don't get a streetable bike, - a tow vehicle. ANYTHING can tow a uhaul trailer and a sportbike. I've seen a 1.6 liter '92 tercel do it.