Interesting thing to think about

betarace

rac_wv;229177 wrote: I remember a while back an issue with F1. It was way over my head. Something along the lines of RPMs getting so high that the valves started becoming an issue. I think they got the pistons moving so fast that the valves didn't have enough time to close and were essentially locking open. I don't know if this was ever overcome, regulated out, or became a limitation.

2 solutions have emerged in MGP - pneumatic valves (rather than cam/springs) and desmodromic valves (ala ducati) that are both opened and closed via cam

Ducativalve.jpg

HokieRider

the whole Desmo design that Ducati has its incredible in my opinion. it gives complete control to the design engineers, EX: if you want the valve to close slightly slower to avoid breaking you can design that in... etc

its a very cool design

ive always been curious about making certain components out of composite material. could you imagine how light the rotating mass would be you make the connecting rods out of carbon fiber!

i be the heat and oil would get to them though

dlockhart5x

Mercedes was the originator of desmodromic valve actuation as we know it. It was used in the W196 F1 car in 1954. There were earlier "desmo" systems that used a second cam to actuate the closing cycle. The MB system is the one Ducati mimics most closely.
mb warmup
http://youtu.be/2AH9f_Sy-cs

HokieRider

That video just made my day.

reminds me of when i was in college selling auto parts...we used to call the other stores and ask for the most ridiculous fake parts just to screw with people.

I'll never forget the day i convinced the guy that he needed halogen fluid for his headlights and that it was $50 a gallon

rac_wv

Thanks for the info. I took a quick look and it appears Renault has dabbled into getting rid of the cams and trying to get electronics to handle the pneumatic valves.

Joe Vital

would this mean the slug of burnt/unburnt fuel would then be exhausting AHEAD of the sound wave caused by the combustion thereof?

Meat

Joe Vital;229305 wrote: would this mean the slug of burnt/unburnt fuel would then be exhausting AHEAD of the sound wave caused by the combustion thereof?
It wouldn't seem like it since the combustion happens in a motor that is probably :) traveling slower than the speed of sound. The piston and/or valves would be sonic but I am not sure if that would affect the actual sound..... This is a great, thought-provoking question.. This is going to make me think. :)