Inverted fork questions

rk97

1) How much difference do inverted forks make? I understand the theory of lowering un-sprung weight, but is there any other tangible suspension advantage versus a well set-up 'standard' fork configuration?

2) is there a point where new stock components are as good or better than an older bike with aftermarket stuff? (i.e. 2009 R6 versus 1999 R6 with full Ohlins forks and shock)

all this is racing through my mind as I attempt to research bikes that might be in my price range at the end of the season. If i stay on the low side of my budget (preferable), i'm looking at the last of the 'standard' fork setups. if I stretch my funds, I can maybe sit out next April and have a bike a few years newer, with inverted forks, but not quite as much aftermarket stuff.

i'm a ways away from decision-time, but knowing what I want to look for can only help.

thanks.

ta2kutz

a bike with well done normal forks can outhandle a bike with basic stock usd forks.
i had the valving in my stock bandit forks when i was still on the track with that and it was great. no matter the bike the suspension should be gone through for the rider.

Burnall4

I thought the reason behind USD forks was the longer part of the fork is the non compressing aspect of the design, making it stiffer since its the thicker portion of the whole fork assembly? where normal forks, the longest part is the part that compresses, and the shorter part is the thicker part?

Stationary verses non stationary strength, a engineer can probably explain my point better than me.

You can always swap fork set ups....

rk97

^ that may be another benefit I was unaware of, but I have always thought the most significant advantage was less weight to actually move means the suspension can react more quickly.