is a race van 'full retard'?

lplonske

So, I sold the big boy trailer. Now what the hell do I do? smaller trailer? maybe. What about a cargo van? anyone have any thoughts? I like the idea of not having to fack with a trailer. cripes, I'm like a damn woman, never knwo what i want :dunno:

random smiley::squid:

erick1670

If money is no object then I would get a motorhome like and costumise so that you can get your bike or bikes.... if I had the space I would get my self a cargo van for sure but there are prons & cons in getting a van or trailer :dunno:

steve p

Cargo van all the way. If you got the coin, dodge sprinter FTW. 25MPG and a ton of room, can't beat it. I did the cargo van for a couple years and still use one on occasion when I'm traveling light. Hate the trailers. Plus you don't take it in the ass when you go through all the tolls!

Wawazat

I know plenty of sportbike freestyle riders that prefer vans. I've seen one couple that rides tandem take their bikes around in an ambulance. It's a much better alternative than my truck... It works for me, but I would like something more in the future.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
We have a Dodge Sprinter at work and there is an amazing amount of room inside this thing. There is about 15' of clear space front to back just in the cargo area. I could easily fit 4 bikes in there. With a little ingenuity I'm sure the space could be transformed into a nice living area when at the track. When I go to downsize, I might just see what I can find to replace the trailer.

noobinacan

monoblock calipers...shoulda let me have em.

I've thought about it myself...but IMO, is only good for one bike + gear.
or two bike setup gonna be a tight fit but doable.

But like trailers are big here, Vans are big in Europe/ UK.
in the end, I think its a personal preference thing, gotta do what works for you.

2012-nissan-NV2500-HD-side-view.jpg

or

http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/

some guy #2

Those sprinters are nice, toy haulers are even nicer. The only think I can see not liking about vans are the fumes from the bike. Unless you sealed the front really well and vented the back the smell would be a little much I think. The lack of tolls and gas mileage would be a huge plus over a trailer.

crewnutz

I used a van for 2 years and my buddy has a van now that we use

I had a 1992 Ford E350 extended version. I got it for $350 off Ebay, put about $500 into it and it lasted me a full 1.5 years of racing/trackdays. I am not even sure why I sold it. It ran great, just needed new tie rods when I sold it.

vans are the best way to go. If you get a Ford E-series that is the extended version you can EASILY fit 2 bikes and everything you would need for a weekend of trackdays or racing
a Sprinter would allow you even more room but they are much pricier

for us poor types the van is the way to go

and even if you decided you wanted a trailer eventually then your van can pull the trailer too! pickup trucks are about the most worthless things for trackduty IMO. I actually think theyre worthless for a lot of things except pulling a 5th wheel. you cant lock stuff inside or sleep in the back. everyone in Europe uses vans to go racing, pickups are damn near non-existent

IMHO of course

I am a fan of the van too. Although I still need a trailer as the mini-van doesnt have enough room to fit a full sized bike, the TZ125 fits perfect and I can stuff all my other items in too. I save on tolls, as others have said, and the security is nice.

BZ

kf227

lee
i was planning to do the same thing. i traded my big boy trailer to get either a utility trailer and deal with it or was thinking of a cargo van. let me know what you do.
kory

Matt

my suggestions...

sprinter
ford transit (30mpg!!)
old beater van with free candy spray painted on the side.

Gorecki

I think a van's a good move. Also using the bed of a 2WD lil pickup was in my thoughts, less secure but will do the job. I ended up punting entirely with the intensions of having a 30' travel trailer for other uses and got a big-ole chevy that can pull 10K.

fitz

some guy #2;216667 wrote: I don't think the Ford Transits will carry a full size bike safely or comfortably.
I don't see why it woundn't, granted 136hp isn't much but you only need to haul your bike and some gear. My R6, gear, a few tools can't be much more than 500lbs, which is about 2-3 guys depending who you are riding with. :D

It does say it has a max payload of 1600lbs.

Starting at 21,800 I'd give it a shot.

fitz

dbarufaldi

fitz;216675 wrote: I don't see why it woundn't, granted 136hp isn't much but you only need to haul your bike and some gear. My R6, gear, a few tools can't be much more than 500lbs, which is about 2-3 guys depending who you are riding with. :D

fitz
Shame they didn't import that thing with the diesel...much more compelling to me if you can get a diesel stick in it...

Dan B

j_fuggin_t

steve p;216513 wrote: If you got the coin, dodge sprinter FTW. 25MPG and a ton of room, can't beat it. I did the cargo van for a couple years and still use one on occasion when I'm traveling light. Hate the trailers. Plus you don't take it in the ass when you go through all the tolls!
AMEN to that, i've thought about a sprinter myself, you can sleep in the bish, get an overhead a/c and even generators, with our toll prices going up i'm going to have to strongly consider it, just for me to go to blackhawk with the trailer its over $30 in just tolls :banghead:

only downside to a van is loading at the end of a day when your just exhausted, but we're lucky enough to be able to find help typically.

some guy #2

fitz;216675 wrote: I don't see why it woundn't, granted 136hp isn't much but you only need to haul your bike and some gear. My R6, gear, a few tools can't be much more than 500lbs, which is about 2-3 guys depending who you are riding with. :D

fitz
I meant length wise, not weight. I think the transit's for the USA are not long enough to get a full size bike into reliably. I believe Europe has the extended version which would give you enough room.