Is it a bad idea to ride to a track day?

windsorfox

Hi everyone. I'm getting ready for my first track day, and I was planning to ride there, and ride back. The track I'm going to is Summit Point JC, and I live about an hour away. I did an intro session earlier this year, and I rode to and from there without any problem.

Basically, I wanted some advice regarding whether or not this is a good idea. Right now my biggest concern is refueling. Does anybody know if you can leave the track to refuel then come back?

Sorry for my nooby question, and thanks in advance to anybody who can help.

-Matt

Dave561

Control Rider
On the bike you can't pack fuel, drinks and food. Your also limited on spare parts and even if you don't crash the track is more exhausting than street riding and you may not want to ride home afterwards. Plus there is the whole bike prep issues. Can you do it? Yes. However I'd advise against it if it all possible.

Matt H

While less than ideal, it is not a terrible idea to ride to a track day. I know you mentioned just fuel, but the larger issues are should you hurt yourself or damage your bike such that you can't get home. And unless you are meeting up with someone, it is difficult to have some *almost* necessary items: a chair, possibly some shade, and something to drink to stay hydrated during the day. That said, there is nothing preventing you from leaving during the day for more fuel and coming back - although you would have to remove the tape and such to make your bike street legal, and then put it all back on in order to get back on the track. There is a chance that the pumps on the Main circuit could be open too, which would make it easier, but I'm not sure that anyone will be able to confirm that ahead of time.

Riding to the track has certainly been done, but it has some drawbacks to consider. Hope that helps. And look forward to seeing you out there.

Peter Faulkner

I suppose people do it, but I would be to afraid of wadding up my bike and not having a ride back home. Then what if you want to bring a little lawn chair to sit in between sessions. Also the more involved in this sport you get, chances are the more you will want to bring and maybe even the longer you will want to stay. What I did was buy a little 5x8 tilt bed trailer that I can tow behind my little toyota celica. You would be AMAZED at how much stuff you can carry.

mike_21

Control Rider
Matt,

Welcome!

Many of us started track days by riding in and taping up our bikes in the parking lot. There is the risk that if you go down you could be stranding yourself so if you're going to start doing track days on a routine basis, buy or rent a small trailer.

As for fuel, JC does not have fuel pumps but the adjacent track does have credit card operated fuel tanks so you can top off during the day.

Mike

1literduceater

I really wouldnt recommend it....eveyone above has stated all the right reasons. Jump into the Ride Share section and see if there is someone you can hook up with. Best of luck!

Just noticed your from Annandale NJ - I lived there for a year right after college - nice area. I know of a few Nesbians in and around that area that you can hook up with.

mike_21

Control Rider
1literduceater;10316 wrote:

Just noticed your from Annandale NJ - I lived there for a year right after college - nice area. I know of a few Nesbians in and around that area that you can hook up with.
1Liter,

From his description (1 hour away) I'm guessing he lives in Annandale VA. I live in Annandale, NJ and I agree, Nice place.

ridelater

i did it my first yr. b/c i had nothing else, i carry what i could and left for gas and had a blast at the track. If you can do w/o riding your own bike their then its a stupid Q. to begin w/. I would let not having a truck stop you from riding

1literduceater

mike_21;10323 wrote: 1Liter,

From his description (1 hour away) I'm guessing he lives in Annandale VA. I live in Annandale, NJ and I agree, Nice place.

1. I am dyslexic and I do not like to read.
2. I am a moron and did not read the whole post.
3. Maybe he rides really really fast?
4. I was trying to be nice about the whole Annandale NJ thing....it was Ok...my over priced roach infested apartment and an office full of really old clicky ladies sucked.

JayhawkInDC

I just rode to Jefferson for Silver Spring, MD for the last day out at Summit. It sucks, no doubt, but it is better than not being there.

Also, don't bank on it, but I have a hunch that if something happened to your bike, there would be a bleeding heart Nesbian that would drive an hour out of their way to get you home! Of course, you would volunteer gas money and a case of beer as compensation!

Do it, if you have no other way, it can be done!

Dave561

Control Rider
1literduceater;10352 wrote: 1. I am dyslexic and I do not like to read.
2. I am a moron and did not read the whole post.
3. Maybe he rides really really fast?
4. I was trying to be nice about the whole Annandale NJ thing....it was Ok...my over priced roach infested apartment and an office full of really old clicky ladies sucked.

Are we alowed to add to the list or should we just let you roll with it. :poorguy:

Dave561

Control Rider
Nah we totally FUBARed it. We just wanted to see your face when you come in after that first session :wow:

1literduceater

slow_honda;10367 wrote: Nah we totally FUBARed it. We just wanted to see your face when you come in after that first session :wow:
I am such a amazing rider that it wont phase me...:dunno:...I will ride right through it!

See you Sept 5th! :p

windsorfox

wow! I thought I'd come home to find 1 or 2 responses. This is great.
I've decided that even though I'm dying to get back on the track, I should wait until I'm able to do it right. I spoke with a veteran rider/racer at work today, and he pointed out that the day would be much more enjoyable if I'm able to come properly prepared. He also recommended picking up some better rubber, and a set of race fairings if possible. As much as I'm dying to go, I think I'm better off waiting for right now.

Thanks again to everybody who took the time to post up helpful advice. Hopefully next season I'll be seeing you all at the track! :D

fastfatguy

Windsorfox - check out Harbor Frieght. They have a cheap trailer(8'x4') that comes in a box for around $275. You can find a coupon for 15% off on the web or in the back of there flyer. I bought mine about 3 1/2 years ago and I use it for everything. Other than the trailer you need to buy a sheet plywood, get it inspected and you are ready to go. The other cool thing about the trailer is that it folds up to take up less space.

Good luck and welcome!:D

riddler

I agree don't let not having a truck stop you. I trailer with a 2003 Dodge Neon. I went a little more expensive than the harbor freight trailer - home depot - small snow bear brand utility trailer, with a very convenient gate ramp - about $550 already assembled.

Almost any car can have a trailer hitch attached for about $200 - $250. My setup works great, including one trip from northern IL all the way to NJMP.

I have had friends ride to the track for their first day... but they were at least meeting me, and we could've worked something out if something bad happened. Plus I provided them with all of the things they could not carry. The things we do to bring friends into our addiction! And it is always worth it!

Good Luck..

littlelady

I am also a newbie to the track and don't have transportation as of yet. :cool:
I live in Arlington, VA so summit is only about an hour away--unfortunately I don't even have a car so I will probably be riding to JC on Sept 6.

I am looking at buying a really cheap used pickup rather than buying a car AND a trailer--so hopefully by start of next year I will be able to help you with transport if you ever need it (not going to be getting a big truck, but an extra bike should not be a problem!)

--Kim

PJZOCC624

Look into Enterprise. I rented a cargo van from them last year and it worked out great! Plus, UHaul rents trailers for ~$25/day (landscape style with a ramp...) Do what you can to avoid riding to the track. Rent, borrow, steal... it'll make your life easier.