Is it safe to bring a youth?

NH_to_MS

I've been riding forever but never done a track day before, planning to be at talley on 8/15, tent camping overnight Friday.

Having never been I'm not sure the environment to expect. By the forum chatter it seems that N2 attracts good members.

My 13 yr old son wants to go with me and I want for him to come along. My wife is reluctant to let him him go because she is nervous that being in the pit area alone when I am at class and on the track might not be safe.

Any recommendations or comments? Are minors even allowed in the pit area unattended?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsmitty37

The paddock is a family atmosphere. Everyone for the most part (98.9%) is great to be around and make friends with. Just explain to your son he needs to be aware of his surroundings and there will be people riding around on scooters and on bikes all over the place and sometimes people buzz around a little too fast because they are running late for sessions. Bring a chair for him to sit in, drinks and snacks, if he likes to read bring a book or something to entertain himself with when you are on track or even bring a camera and he can take pictures if he is into that.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Lots of people bring their kids, dogs...even wives :)..seriously, 13 YO is old enough to know how to stay out of the way of the bikes in the paddock...that and paddock speeds are kept to a minimum for just that reason. Bring junior out to the track.

LesPow

Control Rider
N2 has a great family atmosphere and encourages members to bring their family and friends.
However, it would be prudent to have a back up plan in case of any mishaps, which might leave your son in a difficult situation.
I usually advise riders to bring a friend, to a TD.

NH_to_MS

Yeah, Les, that thought has crossed my mind. It would be problematic to be 4hrs from home and have an incident that might keep me from driving myself and stuff back home. I'm gonna try to convince the family to take a road trip to spectate. Might have to entice the ladies by reminding them about the galleria mall on that could be hit on the way back through.

AwDang

Bringing a 13yo to the track is absolutely the worst thing you can do for your financial stability!

You'll end up with this.
IMG-20150802-02072.jpg

But I will say, it's the BEST thing you can do for dad time with your kid. Bring him with, track us down and hang out. Track kids are some of the best people I've ever meet. Very grounded and responsible for their age.
Don't worry too much about bringing a spare person with while your starting out. Most seem to dial it back a bit and are cautious, so the need for the extra drive isn't there yet. When you do starting turning up the on track aggression it's a great idea to buddy up for track days. I'm just not sure most mom's are the right buddy.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
N2 has a great family atmosphere and encourages members to bring their family and friends.
However, it would be prudent to have a back up plan in case of any mishaps, which might leave your son in a difficult situation.
I usually advise riders to bring a friend, to a TD.

I would absolutely bring my hypothetical 13 year old with me to the track...but I 100% agree with Les. You need a back up plan if something happens to you. While the likelihood is extremely small, the possibility will always be there, and you need to be able to have an alternate plan.

I'd also be financially planning for a bike for your 13 year old...as I can't imagine a kid that wouldn't want his own bike after seeing his Dad out there riding on the track!

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
My son turned 5 in June..and as you can see, he got a TTR 50 because it HAD to be blue.

He's already claimed my 2009 blue R6 as his some day. ;-)

But for now, he's my "Crew Chief". He MUST help with stands, warmers, gas, air pressure, handing me my gloves/helmet before I go out..etc.
Amy's a HUGE help with watching him while I'm doing my thing throughout the day. But your 13 year old should be fine if he's a sensible, responsible kid.

You need a backup person to get you and your stuff home in case something bad happens. Has nothing to do with your riding "aggression". It just has to do with we're participating in a motorsport that's been called "High Speed Chess" by the original Southeast NESBA Director. Someone making an unfortunate decision at a bad time can have a chain reaction. It's happened to me. And in those situations, having friends to help is essential.

CBRtist

Yes, if you plan accordingly as mentioned.

I've been bringing my daughter to the track since she was born, she is now 7. When I started riding also, it took some juggling, but works out.

Since she grew up there she is aware of the rules and areas she can and can not go. Much easier with a 13 year old I'm sure ;)

Tell your wife that I'm a helicopter mom and I've never had an incident or been concerned with my daughter whether walking around, on bike or tooling around on her 50. Just stay away from high traffic areas.

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
I have been bringing my son Alex to the track since age 9. He is now 14. My trackdays are not the same without him. Many times there are other kids in the Paddock and he has met some awesome kids all over the country. He has listened to so many riders meetings that he could probably give one himself. In fact this past weekend he suited up for the first time and had his first "On track" experience. He climbed aboard Ryan's Ninja 250 and had a blast. It was an experience he will NEVER forget and a Father/Son moment that I will never forget. I always want to share my passions with him. I ride dirt with him, snowboard with him, and now ride on the racetrack. He gets to spend almost every weekend with me and we get to have some great quality "Guy" time. All the members hang out with him, share stories, teach him soccer moves, etc. Much better than leaving him at home to play video games all weekend.

D-Zum

He has listened to so many riders meetings that he could probably give one himself. In fact this past weekend he suited up for the first time and had his first "On track" experience.

Funny story...just before he turned 4, I took Alex to Summit Point for the first time Mother's Day weekend. He went to the Rider's meeting with me.
He was looking around and just taking it all in. I didn't think he was paying attention to the Directors and what they were saying. I was wrong.

I was in my camper putting on my gear and all of a sudden he's repeating to me what the flags all mean, including the "Checher'd" Flag. I was speechless!

I go out for my session, Amy takes him out the carousel, and he starts telling her what the flags mean as the cornerworkers threw a yellow.

She comes back and asks, "Where the heck did he learn all that?????"

We just shook our heads in disbelief. Little kids are just sponges.

fowlplayracing

Steve
Control Rider
My son is now 20, has a very busy life and doesn't come with me but maybe once a year.
Around 14 and 15 especially (nearing driving age) he loved to come with and "pit crew". He'd come to the riders meetings and a few times listen more closely than I would. Running clockwise at summit Jefferson one year, HE reminded me before I went out to be careful of the mud puddle in the apex of T3 that developed from the early morning rain shower. Even during the day when tire pressures wouldn't change much he would still check before and after each session. He liked to know he was keeping me safe and because "it's what they told us to do in the riders meeting". I still remind him today that that he is capable of doing what he's told, if he's listening! It's an immeasurable bonding time between a boy and his dad. It's like the flip side of you going with him to little baseball.

NH_to_MS

It looks like I've convinced my wife to make the drive over, so she and my son will be there this time. The scenario of something possibly happening on the track and leaving him without a guardian didn't sit well with me or her. The caveat is that I need to rent a room instead of staying over in a tent on Friday night. She is not interested in tenting.

pjzocc

(late to the party, but...)

ALWAYS ALWAYS have a contingency plan when you bring your kid to the track with you. Bringing a friend or spouse, or ride share with someone who can load your rig for you and drive it and your son home is an absolute MUST.

Two years ago, I brought my 4yr old little buddy with me to the Beave for the weekend. Talked with friends from Syracuse who were going and they assured me they would assist in the "unlikely" event that I should have a get-off. Well, on Sunday... I'm sure you can guess what happened.

Todd and Pope (and the rest of the paddock family) loaded up my toyhauler, took care of my boy, and drove my son and my rig back home as I spent the night at PittPresby. The boy did great and never panicked, but he was with people he (and the wife) knew and was familiar and comfortable with.

It's great to have our kids with us when we go to the track, but you better plan for the worst-case scenario.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Hey PJ, long time buddy. I was going to bring that up, but thought best not to. You need to imagine (and plan) for the absolute worst possible scenario. PJ did what I would love to do, spend some time with my son at the track. However, there is absolutely no way I would do it without my wife coming along.

Ever since that day, I put all my stuff in one place so that if I don't make it off the track, it's fairly easy for someone to figure out.

CBRtist

I just circled back to this thread with a thought. If you are traveling with your wife (or anyone), make sure that they know how to drive what you have whether it is a rig or a trailer or even a truck loaded with bikes. If anything happens, that other person is probably already nervous, and needing to drive something they've never driven just adds to that.

I made it a point to roughly know how to pack things up (can always get help to load bikes) and learned how to drive with trailer, and now RV.

Having a companion is one thing, but they also need to know how to get themselves and your stuff back home. Might seem pretty obvious that males have this innate ability, not always with females ;)

pjzocc

Hey PJ, long time buddy. I was going to bring that up, but thought best not to. You need to imagine (and plan) for the absolute worst possible scenario. PJ did what I would love to do, spend some time with my son at the track. However, there is absolutely no way I would do it without my wife coming along.

Ever since that day, I put all my stuff in one place so that if I don't make it off the track, it's fairly easy for someone to figure out.

Hey Steve! Hope all's well with you and the family, brother! Yeah, it's been a while. I miss this group!

My situation should be used as an example of what can happen when you go to the track, and if you are considering bringing your kid(s) with you. No, my wife wasn't there, but she knows both Todd and Mike well, and both those guys have been to my house and had been around Boomer enough that not only was The Wife comfortable, the boy was as well. And, as shit would have it, my last point of comfort to my wife during the discussion was "I've always made it home safe. This trip won't be any different..." :eek:

Sucks what happened, but I knew The Boy was in good hands with the paddock. And for what Todd and Poper did for me and my family I am forever indebted. Some day you'll see my ugly face in the paddock again. Hopefully soon... ;)

D-Zum

Hey Steve! Hope all's well with you and the family, brother! Yeah, it's been a while. I miss this group!

My situation should be used as an example of what can happen when you go to the track, and if you are considering bringing your kid(s) with you. No, my wife wasn't there, but she knows both Todd and Mike well, and both those guys have been to my house and had been around Boomer enough that not only was The Wife comfortable, the boy was as well. And, as shit would have it, my last point of comfort to my wife during the discussion was "I've always made it home safe. This trip won't be any different..." :eek:

Sucks what happened, but I knew The Boy was in good hands with the paddock. And for what Todd and Poper did for me and my family I am forever indebted. Some day you'll see my ugly face in the paddock again. Hopefully soon... ;)

HELL YEAH!!! BRING PJ Zexxxxy back!!!!!!