Is this trailer tire still good?

pefrey

Good is a relative term, but would it be OK to use this weekend? I just noticed this. It does not leak air and the trailer is only 2 years old. I last used the trailer in June with no issues.

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1584.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

beac83

Whoa!

It's good to get to the tire place for a replacement, if it's close.

Cracked sidewalls are a blowout waiting to happen. Do you want to pitch your trailer into the median or the shoulder and toss all your stuff (and bike) with it?

dbarufaldi

They are shot and dangerous. Definitely replace. I had a blowout with the same brand tire that had no cracks...not fun with a full trailer at highway speed. Go all new, IMO.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Yikes. Agree. I wouldn't run those. Enclosed trailer? I've had good luck with the Goodyear Marathon radial trailer tires. I'm sure there's other good ones as well. You probably already know this, but get trailer specific tires. Don't throw passenger car tires on it.

barry38

Mine didn't look nearly that bad when one exploded coming home from Summit a few years ago, took the fender right off the trailer. Replace it. It will save you money and aggrivation.

pefrey

My only option right now it to cancel my track days. I can't get out of work to get anything done about it. I really don't want to cancel.

Gorecki

pefrey;212841 wrote: My only option right now it to cancel my track days. I can't get out of work to get anything done about it. I really don't want to cancel.
I would do what you can to either beg, borrow or rent. See if there's a uhaul reasonably close to you that has a trailer available. I used to use them for ~$15 a day. It's a far better alternative to ditching your weekend.

Good luck man!

dbarufaldi

pefrey;212841 wrote: My only option right now it to cancel my track days. I can't get out of work to get anything done about it. I really don't want to cancel.
What is the trip you're looking at? Park Ridge to NJMP? What size is the tire, and how many do you need? I have a spare I could lend you, and I bet someone else here does, too. I'm in Brooklyn, NY

Dan B

eE jeremy

You can rent a trailer from uhaul for like $20 / day.

JohnS

I know this is a bit late but I am in Somerset NJ, not sure how far that is for you but I will offer what I can.

I am only riding Sat. Leaving tomorrow around 11:30am sleeping over in my trailer friday and probably Sat then leaving sunday morn.
Trailer is already loaded but if there is anyway you can get your bike to my apt by 11am I can put it in the bed of my truck and take it down for you.

I will be up for another hour or so, and will check this post again in the morn. If I can help just post here and shoot me a PM.

John

Spitz

NOT FOR ME! I've seen trailer tires blow out more than any other tire out there, dunno if its a construction thing or just that they sit around in the sun from most people not using them or what. Dont you have a spare to start with that you can switch it out with? IF not a spare at all, add it to your trackday list!

pefrey

Thank you for the offers of help. I looked at the tire again this morning and the pictures make it look worse than it does in person. There's a trailer place along Rt 80 that has a tire for me. I just have to get out of work early enough to get there. If not, I'm going to make the trip as is and use my spare (for emergencies only) if I have to.

Thanks again. Note to self - next time I'll check trailer at least two weeks in advance.

pefrey

Made it there and back, 580 miles round trip, with no issues. No air loss, no additional cracking. You have to look pretty close to see any of the cracks. I think the pictures make them look bigger due to shadowing. Still gonna replace though.

Thanks again to everybody.

dbarufaldi

pefrey;213454 wrote: Made it there and back, 580 miles round trip, with no issues. No air loss, no additional cracking. You have to look pretty close to see any of the cracks. I think the pictures make them look bigger due to shadowing. Still gonna replace though.

Thanks again to everybody.
I agree about replacing....mine looked fine, right up until it exploded....