Is this what DOT 5 looks like?

Irish01

That looks like a watered down version of this.

ate_superblueracing_BF.jpg

But since no one will ever know for sure I'd bleed ALL your lines just to be safe.

dude

I hear DOT 4 and the similar mess up painted stuff. Would it be a fair test to drop some of this crap on something painted to see what happens .. DOT 5 shouldn't be damaging the paint or so I read ...

Lonewrench

That is dot 5 Maxima as far as I can see. It comes in a metal can we sell it. The Super Blue Ate' racing fluid is by far some of the best brake fluid I have ever used.Its and OE Porsche type fuild and an OE spec fluid for Brembo stuff.:eek:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Does your bike require DOT3/4 or DOT5? It's my understanding that you can't use DOT5 in a system designed for DOT3/4.

dude

I read about this... As far as i gather its ok to swap as long as you flush the dot4 stuff completely. The cap does say dot4 though. Brakes actually work really well..

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Huh. That's different from everything that I've ever read. I thought it was incompatible with the seals and would damage them. I'd be interested to learn that's not the case.

dude

Yea theres some of that out there also but was not able to find anyone that had that particular thing happen to them usually ppl either give up on switching cause of the seals or ... Well they swithch and never go back. Read some car racing forums too they say they've been using dot 5 for years without any negative side effects. Dont get me wrong no expert by any means but thats what i saw this morning..

dude

Wonder if lonewrench has something to add on swapping 4 for 5. I could be way off on this one..

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
dude;227785 wrote: Wonder if lonewrench has something to add on swapping 4 for 5. I could be way off on this one..

Yeah maybe he'll chime in. I'm no expert either, just going on lots of stuff I've read over the years.

dude

I actually managed to get in touch with the previous owner and he confirmed DOT 5. He wasn't sure what brand but it is DOT 5.

I did a little test to confirm and got a few drops out of it and mixed with some DOT 4 I had laying around and they do not mix. Kinda looks like oil in water. The DOT 5 sits on top of DOT 4... Pretty convinced now. :)

I did a little more research on the rubber seals business. This is only believed to be an issue with the early DOT 5 fluids and has since been corrected. 3,4,5 are all compatible with most brakes HOWEVER to switch you need to make sure you flush properly. If you don't do it you will pay for it. Apparently the good thing about DOT 5 is that it doesn't absorb water and prevents corrosion to the brake system internals. 1 thing I did see is that it is a bit harder to get the air bubbles out.

Either way I guess it is DOT 5 for me in the front .. and apparently DOT 4 in the rear LOL

dude

R1Baby;227846 wrote: Harley's use DOT 5 and that is about the color of it. I work at a shop part time.
Thanks mate! Do you know if Maxima or Bel-ray is better or about the same?

Motofun352

Control Rider
Think carefully about going to DOT 5 (silicone based fluid). There's a reason it's not used in the racing environment. While it's safe for paint, do you really care? It will not combine with water which is both good and bad. The good is it doesn't go bad (ie reduce it's boiling point fast), the bad is the water separates and goes to the bottom of the system where it can degrade the brake components. Also, if the water is exposed to high temperatures it can flash to steam and that will definately affect the brakes.