Jim Riley Update

Trent1098S

I talked to Mary last night. She said when she talked to Jim yesterday evening, he remembers everything that happened very clearly and was "very much himself" again.

I'm going to pass on a HUGE thank you on Mary and Jim's behalf to the EMT's at Blackhawk. Mary said the EMT's quick action on the crash scene stabilizing Jim's neck truly saved his life.

When I talk to Mary next, I'll ask if it's ok if I post up a more detailed status update. Out of respect for their privacy I'll not disclose anything else until then.

Please continue to send your prayers, positive energy, and good thoughts their way, as Jim isn't out of the woods yet.

Grace

Glad to hear he is okay. I was the one who let her know her husband was the one down.....I felt horrible doing it but knew that I would want to know ASAP myself.

Nolan1000

Good to hear he is okay. I was right behind him when it happened. Lets just say I was immediately worried about his injuries. I sincerely hope he heals up fast. His riding had improved so much since the last time I saw him at ACC at the end of last season.

Trent1098S

I spoke with Mary today, she said I could post an update for Jim.

Jim fractured the C7 vertebrae, and they was concern last night that he'd need surgery due to a bone fragment pushing on an artery. Today it appears that things are righting themselves with some blood thinners and they aren't talking about surgery anymore.

Jim was moved from the trauma center to a step down room early this morning, and then today he was moved to a regular hospital room today and is sitting up. Mary said he may be released as early as Wednesday. He'll need a neck brace for awhile to keep his neck immobilized, but they're expecting a full recovery!

Mary said Jim hadn't asked for or received any pain killers so far. He's one tough old bird. :)

Anyway Jim, when you get home and get around to reading this, just want to say I'm very happy and relieved that you're OK, and heal up quick buddy! You and Mary are welcome around my campfire any time and I look forward to seeing you both again soon!

Mary wanted me to pass along thanks to the NESBA staff (Fred and others), the EMT's at Blackhawk, the corner workers, and everyone that helped her out on Sunday, including Nick for loading up the motorcycle.

jigs

Trent1098S;120500 wrote: I spoke with Mary today, she said I could post an update for Jim.

Jim fractured the C7 vertebrae, and they was concern last night that he'd need surgery due to a bone fragment pushing on an artery. Today it appears that things are righting themselves with some blood thinners and they aren't talking about surgery anymore.

Jim was moved from the trauma center to a step down room early this morning, and then today he was moved to a regular hospital room today and is sitting up. Mary said he may be released as early as Wednesday. He'll need a neck brace for awhile to keep his neck immobilized, but they're expecting a full recovery!

Mary said Jim hadn't asked for or received any pain killers so far. He's one tough old bird. :)

Anyway Jim, when you get home and get around to reading this, just want to say I'm very happy and relieved that you're OK, and heal up quick buddy! You and Mary are welcome around my campfire any time and I look forward to seeing you both again soon!

Mary wanted me to pass along thanks to the NESBA staff (Fred and others), the EMT's at Blackhawk, the corner workers, and everyone that helped her out on Sunday, including Nick for loading up the motorcycle.
YES! Good news for sure.

Zippy

Thanks Mary, for letting us know how he's doing. Thanks, Trent, for passing the information on. I am very glad that things are looking good for Jim. Heal up well and soon, Jim.

Linsay

Sklossmonster

I didn't realize Jim went down last weekend :(

As I am a fractured C7 survivor myself, my heart really goes out to you, Jim.

Very sorry to hear about this, but ecstatic to see the words "full recovery" in this thread.

Get well soon, Bro.

jami

Jim...I hope to see you at the track soon even if it is just to visit. I really hope to see you ride again, you seem to really enjoy the track!! I am really happy to hear you are doing better than originally thought...it's wonderful news!!

Mary...You are a very brave woman! It is very easy to panic while waiting to hear about your husband, not knowing what is going on, getting put on the golf cart, finding out he is going to the hospital, then having to drive to the hospital still not knowing what is going on. You did wonderful staying calm and collected!! Thanks for keeping Trent and I updated, we really like you and Jim and hope to see both of you again.

Trent1098S

Sklossmonster;120533 wrote: I didn't realize Jim went down last weekend :(

Very sorry to hear about this, but ecstatic to see the words "full recovery" in this thread.

Get well soon, Bro.
I didn't know you'd broke your neck before Marshall!

Yeah Jim went down in the very last session at about 4:55.. By then, half the paddock had already packed up and left by then so the news didn't really spread. It's probably better that way, when I crashed this weekend I was getting cat called while limping back to my pit. :)

When we talked, Mary said Jim works out a lot and stays very active, and all of that exercise is really paying off right now. Mary sounded very enthusiastic today and it truly brightened my day to hear things were turning out positive.

Kim

So glad to hear that full recovery is in your future Jim. Rolling by you and that red Duc in the grass before T7 just made my heart sink. Hang in there and I hope to see you back out before the end of the season!!

Hitman954

Yeah I was packed waiting on the group to finish when I saw the ambulance go out. I had a bad feeling it was him, only cause I saw others coming in and didnt see him. Really sucks, not how you wanna finish the day. Good luck Jim and have a speedy recovery. I'm the guy that commented I liked your bike towards the end of the day. Be the last time I do that.

gkotlin

Sklossmonster;120533 wrote: I didn't realize Jim went down last weekend :(
Get well soon, Bro.
I also wish Jim a speedy and full recovery. I'm also a multiple C series fracture survivor. I'm sad to see he had to join the club. Hopefully he'll heal up well and the three of us can share a beer after riding again soon.

geekmug

My friend put a pass on him in turn 1 and then the two of them started to pull some distance on me. I was a bit mentally tired and sent myself off the track at turn 4. Lesson learned: no matter how much fun you are having, if you are tired, sit it out; the season is long. Thank goodness for the service road which let me cram some front brakes to get it slowed down before I met up with the tire wall. I was very confused to find a red flag got put out as I was making my way around to the pits.. I thought, "uh no? I'm alright.."

I didn't realize what had happened just a turn behind me until Nolan came by and let me know. The whole time I was packing I was asking if anyone saw him come through the pits. My friends camera caught him standing in the grass, so I thought it might not have been so bad. Sorry to hear that was not the whole story.

I had a blast riding with Jim. Hope everything heals up and you get back on the horse!