June 25-26 Dragon

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Like a nice fat speeding ticket from a cop waiting for you in a speed trap, or wrecking your bike and maybe yourself because you low-side and you and your bike both hit trees.....

Pass

Defer your Marital Emancipation Proclamation for an upcoming May weekend at Summit Point.

Yeah...I know it's Mother's Day weekend...I'll take my wife out to dinner when I get home Sunday night.

I'll tell her that's my early Father's Day present. :D

Kordyte

I'd go if I had a street bike :(

One day when my parents let me get a street bike, I'll probably cruise down there on the way to Florida. I wanna do some road trips!

nk140

Kordyte;177457 wrote: I'd go if I had a street bike :(

One day when my parents let me get a street bike, I'll probably cruise down there on the way to Florida. I wanna do some road trips!
You have the 350f

noobinacan

D-Zum;177456 wrote: Like a nice fat speeding ticket from a cop waiting for you in a speed trap, or wrecking your bike and maybe yourself because you low-side and you and your bike both hit trees.....

Pass

Defer your Marital Emancipation Proclamation for an upcoming May weekend at Summit Point.

Yeah...I know it's Mother's Day weekend...I'll take my wife out to dinner when I get home Sunday night.

I'll tell her that's my early Father's Day present. :D
Dragon is over rated...its honestly crap compared to some of the other stuff around there.
and should I mention crowded by slow poke arley trains who get mad at you if you go around them,...Guess how I know ?

anyways...cancel the dragon trip and do Cherohala skyway :D and parts of hwy 64 are awesome...just fun fun with easy riding no brakes touched :D

Lean.In.

Bunch of wimps!:D If Deals Gap is such crap, why do ALL the locals continue to go up there, when there is "so much better stuff around"? Why does Jarrod Barnes practice on the hill? Why do many other track guys practice on the hill? Because its NOT crap. Go around 5 o'clock in the afternoon on a weekday, and you can make all the trips back and forth non stop you want until you cant walk anymore. The fuzz is gone by then and so are the tourons. Now, its not as "fast and no brakes touched" as some other roads, but it is by no means crap, and it is very difficult to nail it, but it is a VERY technical road. Tons of off camber, increasing / decreasing radius stuff, etc....hell if you want to practice a specific "type" of turn, a lot of us go hit a certain section of the road and turn around and do it again back and forth...you can run a 3-4 min section of it a few times and learn a lot.

I may be partial because Im a local, but I AM a local and know the roads around here better than most that arent. And the Gap is an awesome road worth a trip if you have a bike for it. I personally dont have a legal street bike so I cant make it. But I would HIGHLY recommend it. Just dont get in over your head:D

Although I have yet to do a track day (25 days to go!) so I honestly cant compare. But even so, if you are going to make a trip for a road, the Gap is it.

Lean.In.;177508 wrote: Bunch of wimps!:D If Deals Gap is such crap, why do ALL the locals continue to go up there, when there is "so much better stuff around"? Why does Jarrod Barnes practice on the hill? Why do many other track guys practice on the hill? Because its NOT crap. Go around 5 o'clock in the afternoon on a weekday, and you can make all the trips back and forth non stop you want until you cant walk anymore. The fuzz is gone by then and so are the tourons. Now, its not as "fast and no brakes touched" as some other roads, but it is by no means crap, and it is very difficult to nail it, but it is a VERY technical road. Tons of off camber, increasing / decreasing radius stuff, etc....hell if you want to practice a specific "type" of turn, a lot of us go hit a certain section of the road and turn around and do it again back and forth...you can run a 3-4 min section of it a few times and learn a lot.

I may be partial because Im a local, but I AM a local and know the roads around here better than most that arent. And the Gap is an awesome road worth a trip if you have a bike for it. I personally dont have a legal street bike so I cant make it. But I would HIGHLY recommend it. Just dont get in over your head:D

Although I have yet to do a track day (25 days to go!) so I honestly cant compare. But even so, if you are going to make a trip for a road, the Gap is it.
Once you take a hit off the "track pipe" you will amend your statement :D.

BZ

Possibly a moot idea anyway, the road trip my wife is taking looks like it's being rescheduled to a weekday kind of thing. I am certainly going to look at doing Summit anyway. Thanks guys. Even you, Darren, you sentimental old cuss . . .;)

Lean.In.

If you do it, the week would be the best time to do it anyway...I wouldnt think about it on a weekend.

BZ, Im gonna bet you are right! Its hard to pass up that road when you live on it though!

racerx69

Another gr8 ride is the "The Snake", US 421. Its in my back yard and its awesome!!! Not as publisized as the Dragon, but is for sure in the same class of ride!!

Blinky

how do you like to see semi-trucks head on? Personally I don't like to be near them... Been there and I liked the riding and it wasn't on the gap, it was other roads less traveled on. If you do decide, watch out for stupids and don't haul ass.

Fastguy

Lean.In.;177556 wrote: If you do it, the week would be the best time to do it anyway...I wouldnt think about it on a weekend.

BZ, Im gonna bet you are right! Its hard to pass up that road when you live on it though!
I'd like to hear your opinion after your first trackday.

I'll stay tuned :cool:

Hitman954

Well I've done trackdays and all the sort
The dragon is really cool to me, love TN so much. He's right about going in the evening, Thursday is the best, around 5ish. Lots of great riders and it is really dead by then. Also no semis in the evenings. Really there is barely anyone there after 5.
The track is ultimatly the best place to be though. Practicing your turns lap after lap and then chillin afterwards with some of the coolest people I've meet. For me the track is a drug I can't get enough of, and with that said. You wont dare catch me in a cage in TN enless I'm just showin up, or just leaving. Some of my best times have been in TN with friends and the mountains and my bike.
Dont hate just cause you think its dumb.

BigKid

I have made many pilgrimages to the dragon. The last one got me on speed channel and 2 very expensive tickets in 24 hours. The locals law enforcement does not like you and does not want you coming down no matter how good the tourism is good for the county. They will show you what hillbilly justice really means. Imagine 16 tickets written for a group of bikes because someone in the pack of bikes was going 4 miles over the speed limit. Everyone gets tickets and if they want to fight the ticket they are welcome to come back in 30 days at the trial date. BTW 5 different trial dates are set for everyone in the group so no chance that you can all go down as a group to fight the ticket AND the day before trial your trial date postponement letter shows up in the mail about the time you are flying down to Knoxville. Yes, deals gap is the sport bike mecca of the world, unfortunately hillbilly's have a different idea how the justice system in their neck of the woods should be run. But if you enjoy riding ate 35 MPH or less everywhere you go by all means enjoy, Ill be at the track where the only place I go 35 is the hot pit lane.

fitz

Man you guys are super serious!

All he asked was if anyone wanted meet up and go riding on the street (GASP!) how terrible, at Deals gap no less.

I know this is crazy talk in a track forum, but just getting out there on two wheels, out in the country, on a beautiful summer day, and even obeying the speed limit (GASP!) many good times can be had.

OK I’m outa here :eek:uttahere:

fitz

Lean.In.

Hillbillies? Its not 1920. Your group probably wasnt doing "4" over either. You knw what, I retract my staement earlier...please stay away...we will take the road all to ourselves. Haha.

And head on into semis?? Its not an interstate....few and far between.

Fitz and Hitman, "yalls" welcome to my hillbilly redneck town anytime! Ha

Hitman954

Lean.In.;177707 wrote: Hillbillies? Its not 1920. Your group probably was doing "4" over either. You knw what, I retract my staement earlier...please stay away...we will take the road all to ourselves. Haha.

ahh I think people read into things the wrong way, that's all. Thank you for the invite, love your area so much. I've thought about moving there several times. If I ever get back there I will deffinetly hit you up before we come down.

noobinacan

Lean.In.;177707 wrote: Hillbillies? Its not 1920. Your group probably was doing "4" over either. You knw what, I retract my staement earlier...please stay away...we will take the road all to ourselves. Haha.

Lean IN...you can be official NESBA hillbilly :D HAHAHA
or is that title already taken ?

Lean.In.

Hey you'uns, what's you call tham fandangled shiny contraptions on your feets? We alls just run burfoot round here.

That's me, the NESBA redneck. :D. Does it matter that I have all my teeth? I really want to be a good redneck mascot. Since this thread is so far off topic, who's goin to Road ATL?!!?? That will be my first NESBA TD evah!