Just cancelled DirecTv What should I do?

cnsmoore

Well, just called D TV to find out why for the last year I have been paying 78.00 a month when they are offering the same pak for almost half of the price now. They said that they do not even offer the package I had (probably because I have been a loyal cust for close to 10 years now). So I asked how do I get this new improved cheaper package?

The reply, "YOU HAVE TO BE A NEW CUSTOMER."

WTF this is absurd!!! :banghead: After that they offered to give me my hd channels for free for 6 months which would take $10 off of my bill a month. So I told them to cancel my service,

but not until next week....I have 4 hours of good ole motorcycle racing to watch tommorrow! :wow:

THE QUESTION: The wife thinks it is a good idea to lay off of all of the TV watching during the summer, do more outside etc... I am fine with that with one exception, what do I do about my racing programs? I can do without every thing else.

Or maybe one of you have a descent provider with a descent package.

The money was really not the object here it was the fact that I felt like they were bending me over and could give a shit less!:dunno: Was I just over reacting?

beac83

Ha! $78/mo means in 12 mos you will have $936 to put toward track days!

Just put up an antenna and watch over-the-air TV for free, and get the rest from the Internet.

Also, beware of DirectTV. My experience is that when you call them and ask for anything that lowers your bill - like cutting off service, they tell you they will do it, but don't and the bills keep coming. I've been fighting with them for several months now trying to cancel my service (I've been a customer since they started.) I still haven't received any confirmation that they have in fact canceled my service and closed my account. I can't just check the receiver boxes, as I disconnected them back in Nov when this started. By now, I've saved enough for a couple of track days! (if I ever get the billing fixed!)

cnsmoore

Just reinforces my gut instinct to kick them to the curb.

I am trying to figure out how this speed on demand works. It says you can subscribe to, say, AMA superbike, and then get some sort of special access to those races?

Rick Johnson

I have DTV and I'm in the same boat.Maybe check with Dish network.They probally got some deals
for new customers.I use to have it and it's about the same service.

JonnyZ!

I'm a DTV subscriber as well. No HD here. Tried to get the "Free upgrade"
New customers only.... WTF!
$100 for the HD box and then you lease it ..you don't own it??? They don't tell you when you upgrade they play the cell phone company playbook. You upgrade......you renew for 2 years

Was a customer from the beginning too.

Hate when the loyal customers get screwed.

I'm a Motogp.com (Motogp, 250 and 125's (subscriber Follow WSBK.... Not much of anything else.

Only reason I'm staying with DTV is for Tour De France coverage and "Breaking Bad"but if the local digital channel will be covering. These guys are history

Blaise

I'm very lucky - I have RCN available in my area.

20MB internet and 2 cable boxes, one digital and one HD/DVR. We pay $80.27/month, 2 year guaranteed price.

I really don't know what I'm gonna do when that deal expires. I hate DTV, comcast, and all these other jerks who keep raising prices because most people don't have enough time to chase them around to lower them back down.

LesPow

Control Rider
I cancelled my DTV acct. recently and they offered me all sorts of deals to keep me as a cust. They asked who I was going with and why I decided to cancel, then told me I would owe them $$ for the HD receiver as I did not have it for the total 2 yr contract, guess when I upgraded I did not read about that, but only a few mnths away from the end of two yrs paid $63.

So cancel then sign up a week later, they are currently sending me offers to come back.

riddler

Had this same conversation with a buddy yesterday during our long drive back from a motorcycle trip in the Ozarks AR (great place to ride by the way).

He said he argued with them for a long time, told them to cancel his account and had his wife open a new account without even hanging up the phone.

Stupid policies these guys have (Dish is no different).

cnsmoore

UPDATE: Called Time Warner today. I was inquiring about there bundle which includes:
Digital Cable
DVR
High Speed Road Runner
2 years for 99.95 a month.

Problem: I already have Earthlink as my ISP and am happy with it. They decided to offer me the same deal replacing the Roadrunner with my Earthlink with no interruption in service.

Overall: I said lets try it (60 day trial). I am going to save about $18 a month and I have added the DVR (the one DirecTV said they wouldn't sell me because I didn't have a land line).

We'll see, the wife wasn't thrilled but I told her at least I can DVR programs now and watch them when she LETS ME! The rest of my time will be spent with her and the kids.

AND YES before anyone asks, I consider by bike to be one of the kids!!! COVER ALL BASES ;)

Fastguy

CNS Moore You are not overreacting! I called my cable provider to see if we could lower our bill and we were told the same thing.

Its the principle of the matter that angers me.

As beac83 noted, if we cancel thats almost $1000 for track days. I guess thats how you think when your trying satisfy an addiction!

Motofun352

Control Rider
Thanks for the inspiration....been with DirecTV since 1993, mostly just for SPEED, but I'm fed up too with their pricing. Either going to switch to DISH for a newby 2 year deal or give it up completely. (No free TV in the sticks!)