Just joined and signed up for VIR North!!!

hossspowerinc

Hi all. Ive been wanting to do this (track day) for a long time and just havent been able to. Ive decided enough is enough and will be going to VIR N the 25th. Im excited but quite nervous as well. Not so much about the track(ok maybe a little!!!) but about getting there, possibly camping, pit area stuff, things of that sort. I have a friend who potentially will be going (he turned me on the NESBA) but if he doesnt make it I will be going alone. I just have a small trailer and an old truck and was curious about how the pit area works. I would like to go Sunday evening and sleep in the truck but have no idea when to get there and if I would be parking in someones "turf" or whatnot. A little guidance would be great here so help me relax a little! :D

As far as the track goes, this will be my first track day so I dont know what to expect. Ive looked at videos and know the track somewhat but of course thats nothing compared to the real deal. Ive been riding 3 years and do ride "aggressively" on the street(i know, i know) so Im not COMPLETELY helpless but still dont know what to expect. I guess I should just be putting out a wanted ad for new friends! :eek: And a little about me. My name is Justin, Im in the Charlotte NC area, 22 yr old, and have an 04 GSXR 750.

hossspowerinc

Also I am going to need some help with my suspension setup. Will there be someone there to help me set a baseline? Ive only had this bike for 4 months and havent set anything other than sag. I did just replace the fork oil and I weigh about 165# in leathers so hopefully I can run the springs I have for now!

Fire929

Welcome to track days. Most people can not believe how much fun they have at the track. I'll try to answer some of the questions you posted.

Getting to the track the day before is a great idea. Nesba takes care of the camping fee so it's free to camp there over night. I believe they have cars using the north course on that Sunday but they head out after 6pm. Nesba will be on the South course so if you get there before 6pm you can just head to the south course and watch until the riding is over and then head over to the North Paddock to set up. If you get there after 6:30pm you could probable head straight over to the North paddock and be fine.

VIR has great facilities including showers so bring your shower shoes and get a fresh start in the morning. You are going to one of the best tracks in the area IMO so you will be kind of spoiled for your first time on the track. Take a look at the track map on the VIR site. http://www.virclub.com/maps/view-category.html

You can set up just about anywhere you want in the north paddock. The "good" spots are by the bathrooms so try to set up close to building A on the map. There are bathrooms in building D also. There should be a large NESBA truck and a few other vehicles that will take up some space across from the C building but I think everything else is fair game. I doubt you will any issues finding a spot to pit but if someone asks you to move no biggie. You won't be thrown out because you parked in the wrong place.

What to expect on your first track day.

I'm not sure how fast you ride on the street but the track should feel like heaven no matter what your pace is on the street. You won't have to worry about all the road hazards that come with "aggressive" riding on the street and no speed limit.

Read the NESBA manual they have online a few times and make sure your bike is ready to pass tech. If you're riding in the beginner group you really don't have a lot to do but make sure it's ready anyway. Pay attention at the riders meeting. They go over the rules of the day and any other information they need to pass on. If you don't understand something ask a question. After the riders meeting the riding gets under way.

There will be control riders that you can't pass unless they wave you by and they will control the pace of the group (they wear orange T-shirts and most of them are stupid fast). When you line up at pit out there will be a few lines. The line farthest to the right is the slow lane. The line farthest to the left is the fast lane and they get on the track first. Most of the people in the left line have been on the track before and can usually get around ok. I would suggest starting in the right line so you can get a feel for where the track goes in the first session. Watching the videos on you tube is great but it will be a bit different on the track.

Listen to the rules at the riders meeting but I think it's pretty standard to have no passing on the first 1 or 2 laps of the first session of the day. If that's the case then just learn the "line" for the first 2 laps by trying to ride the same line as the control rider out in front of your group.

When passing opens up just work your way around the slower riders. If you signed up for the beginner group you will only be able to pass when the bike is not turning. Good places to pass are the front straight and in the braking zone before T1. The braking zone before T7 and the braking zone before T14 (just before the roller coaster). There are some other places to get around folks but you either need to be cooking or they need to be really slow. If you work your way up to a control rider then just stay on his butt. When the control riders look back (and they do often) they will speed up if the group is following closely.

If you feel comfortable after the first session and think you have a good pace and "line" move on over to one of the faster lines at pit out. If you want to spend more time learning the track and getting your bearings then just continue in the right line at pit out. You have all day to ride so just take your time getting up to speed.

The track really starts to clear up after lunch because some people leave early or just take breaks so pacing yourself is a good idea. At 22 years old you should still have some juice left at the end of the day and that's when the track is very open.

If you find yourself struggling with the proper line or just feel a little lost talk to a control rider at pit out or in the pits. They can give you some direction and help you on the track.

You will probably pass some folks and be passed by some. When you are passing someone it's your responsibility to get by cleanly. If there is any doubt or you think it might be close just wait for the next opportunity. It's not a race so no need to put anyone at risk. You may have to brake a little deeper or you may end up carrying more speed into a turn when you pass someone so try to ride at 80-90% so you can handle anything that comes up.

When you get passed just hold your line and be smooth. Don't worry about looking behind you because it's the passing riders responsibility to get around you. If you look behind you your bike tends to drift to one side and you could cause an incident if someone is in the wrong place when you do.

When following a faster rider try not to get in over your head. Faster riders can help you improve but make sure you always leave something in reserve for those oh shit moments.

If you do end up going by yourself don't be afraid to say hello to the people pitted next to you. Most of the people that do track days are super friendly so it's pretty easy to make new friends.

If you are having problems with suspension or just about anything else just talk to a control rider and they should be able to point you to someone who can help.

Leave your ego at home and come ready to learn and have fun. It should be a great day.

cnsmoore

Well put Mark. :agree:

hossspowerinc, Welcome to the great addiction to "TRACK!" You can laugh all you want but it is no laughing matter. Some experts have found that "TRACK" is 10 times more addictive than "CRACK" and more costly as well.

My best advise is ride your ride and not over your limits. However, if you dont heed this advise and do like I did on my first track day, you will find a good reason to get those new racing plastics that you have been eyeing. And also, dont stress:wow:, Nesba staff and members will welcome you in like family. Just kick back and have a good time
:D This is what your face is going to look like when you remove your helmet after your first session

I will miss North Course due to my new little one being born
328462581.jpg

But I will see ya at CMP in Sept

hossspowerinc

Congrats on the new edition! Assuming I dont wad it up this time out I will be at CMP the 6th. Thanks for the advise on riding within my limits as well. I honestly dont know what they are but Im assuming most dont before they get on the track. The best roads I can find I am running 70+ through corners and still feel like Im only at 70%. Im quite excited about not having to worry about sand, yellow lines, and furry animals!

justariot66

Sand and furry animals could still be there. I routinely throw sand off the back of my bike when my friend Brian is behind me. As for furry animals my ex-control rider friend hit a deer on the straightaway at Summit a few years ago.

Dont joke about wadding up your bike, i told my wife at 4:30am one saturday morning "I'll call you from the hospital." and guess what! I watched them search for that dopey JFK Jr. all day as i was waiting for x-rays and blood work to come back while laying in my hospital bed.

BTW I told some 55 year old nurse who thought she should lecture me about riding and racing on the street to "shut the fuck up!" Here i am unable to stand up straight for the x-ray and this bitch is railing on me about "organ donor" jokes.

hossspowerinc

Ah I dont even want to think about getting injured! I dont have health insurance so that would make it a pretty bad and expensive day.

Good news in the fact that I may have 1 or 2 different friends coming along. More people to share the fuel costs with! :D

Rick Johnson

Welcome fellow rider!VIR is a sweet track.You are going to have a blast!See ya there.I'm #29 A group, 05 R1 and R6 the new track bitch.:D

Coyote22

You might want to look into some insurance before you ride at a track day. If you were to crash a trip to the hospital could leave you bankrupt and after care could be disastrous. That is probably the most important thing on that list of items for the track. I don’t sell insurance and don’t really like it, but if you are going to push a bike on a track there is a very good chance you might need it. Kinda of like a GUN or a CONDOM I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it!!!

Folly1

Hoss,
Get some ins. I just had a small outpatient operation on my little finger to get some gravel and asphault out. The hospital bill alone was over 5K. Total med bills will run close to $10k. If you don't have access to the VA system you should not be on the track without the insurance.
FYI, my injury was the result of someone else hitting me.

Ben.

lbsaxman

Control Rider
See You There

I will be running at VIR on that date , if you need anything I will be riding an 04 gsxr 750 #282 ... You can get some temporary insurance for about $50 ... just search it .. It is worth it ... VIR is a great track just dont go out there pushing until you get a feel for the track .. I ruined some expensive 04 nicky haden addition rc51 plastics on turn 4 trying to get a knee down .... Stupid Stupid Stupid !!!! take your time and you will have a blast .. if you have any questions call i will be there the day before as well ...919-721-8242 Lee

Rick Johnson

Turn 2 has been alittle slick this year.It caused a highside in the AMA Superbike race.I noticed it myself the last 3 times I was there this year.Just thought I would give you a heads up on it.Have fun!!:D

Coyote22

Just packed up the trailer and heading up to VIR after lunch 3 Coyotes will be riding on Sunday on South and 2 on Monday on North. We will be in one of the garages on Monday.
:wow:

hossspowerinc

Well I went from solo to bringing 2 friends along. They just signed up for the intro and one has only been riding 3 weeks :wow: but I can pawn the fuel bill off on them! Ive got the bike almost ready to go and went to walmart to buy a $10 canopy and a tent. Just have to get some food and the tools packed up and Ill be ready to go. I did end up getting insurance as well for $80 for 30 days. Hopefully it wont be needed but it does give a little peace of mind. I guess Ill see you guys sunday/monday!

hossspowerinc

It was great! We got their about 5 on sunday and watched 2 sessions on the south course before heading up to north to set up camp. Got the bikes unloaded and probably got 3 hrs sleep that night just because I was excited about FINALLY getting to the track.

The first session I made the mistake of running in the very back of the right lane causing me to deal with a decent amount of traffic right off the bat, which I wasnt really wanting to do. On the 5th lap I passed a guy in the straight and really got on it trying catch up with the group. Not knowing the track yet I felt I was too hot for turn one (i actually was more than OK of course) and decided just to coast off in the grass and make sure I didnt get in the way of anyone behind me while trying to get back on the line.

After that all was well and I was really having a good time. I found that I could keep up with most while cornering but I didnt really try to get on the throttle from turn to turn and focused on a good line and good corner speed. In the next to last session I somehow managed to run off in between 11 and 14 and hit what would be the end of the back straight on the full course (i think) and bent both my wheels. I was taching really high, glanced down to see the rpms and next thing I know Im way off line. It was uneventful as I got set up for 14 and everything felt fine (I didnt know they were bent until I got in the paddock of course). Im pretty upset about that since it was a costly mistake but it could have been worse.

My girlfriend took quite a few pictures of me and I was really surprised by my body position. I had a camera mount that kept me from tucking but I really thought I was off the bike more. I use the one or half butt cheek method but my torso was pretty high and I wasnt "trying to kiss the mirror". Just something that needs to be worked on for next time. All in all I had a great time and am fixing to sign up for kersaw on the 6th. Im gonna give wills rim repair a little business and get ready to have some more fun!