K&N filter failures

rhill

I have a couple that are going in the trash....this one wasn't on my bike(and not my video), but it still nearly caused me to lose the front end through T7 at a mild pace on a new(to me) bike. I've been hearing about these things failing more and more. Don't risk it, don't ride with a K&N filter, on the track or on the street.

I think that's such a disappointment that a company like K & N put profits over quality. I have used there products for years, not any more...is this a new trend ? There filters are by no means cheap. Whose filters do you all use ?

rhill

I've used OEM, Fram(gasp), K&N...think I'm just going to stick with OEM from now on

I'd really like to know more about the failures....seems like the two common ones I've found google searching are sliced o-rings and leaks around the nut. Both of which could be results of improper installation.

Dom17

Intermediate Intermediate
Wow that is good information. I will never be purchasing these again. What is the failure modality? is it a perforated wall?

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I also had some K&N oil filter failures. Thankfully, I was extremely lucky and noticed it while in the garage and not out on track. Both a failure on my R6 and ZX10 (same oil filter #). On my ZX10, it caused a slow drip from the O ring that dripped on my headers and made it produce a very noticeable amount of white smoke.

Fram had a bad rap from years back, but growing up, Fram is the only thing my Dad ever used on his cars/trucks. Literally tens of thousands of miles on them and we've never had one problem. I've used Fram's and Purloators most often on my bikes. Just like anything else out there, you have to be cognizant of the "parrots" out there. Those that hear "brand X is crap" and continually repeat it with zero first hand experience or knowledge about it.

D2R6

"A" - nOOb
Hummmm! Just went to the K&N this year, have not had any issues but I DON'T WANT any issues.
Has anyone used the HiFloFiltro #HF 303 RC on a R6 bike or is it better to use the standard HF204? My bike is a 2011 R6.
Thanks

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
I am using the HF303RC. No issues whatsoever. I use the HF138RC for my GSXR also. Completely satisfied with them.

D2R6

"A" - nOOb
I have always ran OEM on all bikes before getting into this addictive hobby we call track-day!!! I just want a dependable oil filter that has the nut & is already pre-drilled for safety wire. If it wasn't for rhill starting this discussion I would not even be thinking of using something other than the K&N that I just started using.
Thanks for all the input/opinions.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
FWIW, HiFlow is an OEM manufacturer, who provides OEM filters to a number of manufacturers. It is very possible that they actually manufacture the OEM filters for either the R6 and/or the GSXR. They are also TUV certified (AFAIK, the only filter manufacturer that is). Were it not for the "nut", I'd probably just get OEM also, but I also like having the end nut it being pre-drilled for safety wire.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I used to like the K&N's for the pre drilled hole for safety wire, but honestly, the hose clamp method is easier/faster. Safety wire the hose clamp once, then simply use a screw driver to loosen the clamp to remove the filter during changes.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
FYI, some of the issues regarding the K&N is centered around leaks coming from the welds on the nut. It is not just the O-ring leaking. I would hope that K&N is seeing this trend and making corrections to their manufacturing. I have never used a K&N or other filter with a nut on the end. Also, I've never had a problem taking the OEM one off. I just use the wrench thing that goes over the top of the filter and ratchet it off. A simple hose clamp with safety wire keeps it all tight.