keyless gas cap

Meat

Want to go with a keyless gas cap. I actually like the stock cap, but do not know how to take it apart to take the pins out.

I know a lot of people use the Vortex gas cap but I was looking for something a little better. Seems like they can be a hassle with not venting and then being difficult to remove.

Thought the Harris Performance one looked decent.

What do you guys think about the various keyless gas caps and which one would you guys get?

And, does anyone know how to take apart the 05-06 zx6r stock gas cap to remove the pins from the lock cylinder (rather not JB Weld the key into the stock gas cap)?

Thank you for your help

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
I have the PP Tuning gas cap and love it. It has a spring loaded bottom portion to keep some pressure on the fill port, but still allows for venting. 1/3 turn and it locks into place.

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
I love my LighTech 1/4 turn gas cap, it works great and looks a hell of a lot better than the vortex, or any other brand that i've seen

jkrueger

pulling the tumblers out of the stock one is really easy, ive done it on 3 gsxr ones. you can probably find a write up on the wera board if your looking for a project

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I got one from slingshot racing. Looks similar to the Vortex, but is supposed to be vented. Seems to work ok. Some gas does get up on the area where the cap screws in. Not a big deal, really. Seems like I just shouldn't fill the gas tank to the tippy top like I did with the stock cap. I got it because it was a lot less than the quarter turn ones. If I had it to do again, though, I think I might spend the extra on the quarter turn spring types.

Meat

Thanks.

So far: I will look on the wera forum for instructions for removing the pins fron my cap's lock cylinder. If all else fails, I am leaning toward a 1/4-turn model like Harris Performance or similar.

Meat

jkrueger;96400 wrote: pulling the tumblers out of the stock one is really easy, ive done it on 3 gsxr ones. you can probably find a write up on the wera board if your looking for a project
Jesse,

I searched on the wera forum for all kinds of key words associated with modifying the stock gas cap. There probably is a thread on it, but I just can't seem to find it.

I watched a guy make a stock cap keyless but there were too many steps for me to remember 2 years later.

I will continue to search the internet but if anyone runs across a thread on how to do it, please post up the link. I do like the stock gas cap, I just would like to make it keyless.

Also noticed a nice gas cap on Yoyodyne.

jkrueger

you pretty much have to take the entire gas cap apart, i dont recall finding one because i just started taking mine apart, as long as you can remember how all the stuff goes back together it really wasnt that hard, when you get it down to the locking cylinder the only tricky part was getting some of the o-ring seals out without damage and then on mine the bottom tumbler had to be slid in with a really skinny screwdriver to be able to slide the cylinder out from the top, then take all the springs and tumblers out and replace everything in the reverse order. the o-rings held the cylinder in the cap after that.
like i said if your looking for a project and are comfortable taking things apart then this should work for you and save you 40 bucks or so for the cheapest replacement cap you can find.

stow

Just curious, why would you need to go with a key-less gas cap? I could see the need if you were endurance racing or either had a key-less ignition. I am guessing key-less ignition.

litespeed

stow;96650 wrote: Just curious, why would you need to go with a key-less gas cap? I could see the need if you were endurance racing or either had a key-less ignition. I am guessing key-less ignition.
I'm guessing that Meat is going stir crazy and needs to mess with his bike :D

Lynda

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I went with one because, for whatever reason, my stock one likes to occasionally fall shut while I'm pouring gas, resulting in gas all over the tank, and in the belly pan. Got tired of that real quick.

Meat

stow;96650 wrote: Just curious, why would you need to go with a key-less gas cap? I could see the need if you were endurance racing or either had a key-less ignition. I am guessing key-less ignition.
Yep, keyless ignition. I have 2 keys, one bent and cracked, then other is U-shaped and beyond repair. 2 crashes and 2 bent keys. Seems like my bike uses the key as a tripple tree slider.

stow

Meat;96677 wrote: Yep, keyless ignition. I have 2 keys, one bent and cracked, then other is U-shaped and beyond repair. 2 crashes and 2 bent keys. Seems like my bike uses the key as a tripple tree slider.
Now I understand. You just need a stronger key.

Meat

Well, at least I PLAN on going keyless as soon as I figure that one out. Found a few DIY threads for different bikes but I haven't been able to figure out how to apply it to my bike exactly.

I spent years erasing any electrical knowledge that school tried to brainwash me with. With the aid of beer and strippers all prior electrical knowledge gone.