Lap Timer

JFS811

I have an old XT lap timer. Will it still work? do they still put transponders out during the track days?

bmart

Control Rider
I think that most folks have gone GPS these days. I run an app called racechrono on my phone and just tuck it into my leathers.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
It'll still work, but I'm not sure if a beacon is put put much these days, because, as bmart said, most have gone to the gps laptimers.
I still have one of the original XTs. I have a beacon. It works, but I don't bother timing myself these days.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
GPS timers have dropped in price enough that for the most part, the beacon timers are going away. The sport is expensive, no doubt...but short of breaking one in a crash, you don't really lose money buying a GPS timer. You'll take a small hit if you buy new obviously, but it's not like tires or gas. They are affordable enough that if you're doing this for more than a year, pony up the dough and get a decent one. If you get out of the game you'll get 85% of your money back and for the 15% loss you'll take, it's worth it to have a nice quality GPS...at least it is to me.

fowlplayracing

Steve
Control Rider
A couple of us still use the old ones. Don't use mine all the time but I do have a beacon and usually put it out for anyone to use at some point over a weekend.