Lap times at VIR North

warregl

Does anyone have rough lap time ranges for VIR’s North Course? I’m curious what the spread is between the groups. I have been getting lap times from California Superbike School as I complete levels, and I’m seeing improvement, but I have no frame of reference (other than I know I’m not really fast – just faster than I was:)). Any ballpark idea would be appreciated.

stow

Around 1:50 and below puts you at I pace. Around 1:40 and below puts you at A pace.

1up5down

Control Rider
My thoughts

I won't get into the whole laptime is NOT indictative of skill discussion.

My thinking has it somewhere around:

Beginner pace is anywhere from 1:50 and above. The average probably being 2:00
Good I pace = 1:44/46
Good A pace = 1:38 and below

To put the fast guys lap time in prespective, 1:31 and below is bonafide "Fast Guy" in my book. However, speed is realative and I'm just a slow guy. Garett Gerloff ran a 1:27..... a few weeks back during the WERA Cycle Jam. That is STUPID FAST!

It's only one presepctive, but I hope this helps. The SE guys should know this stuff cold. JRA or D. Pullen where yah at???

-Allen

steve gould

I only had my lap timer on for a couple of sesions. I was CR'ing I, the group I was with were doing consistent 1:50's. A benchmark for A is a 1:42. The guys I was pitting with were doing 137's to 140's, all A guys. I saw some mid 34's and I saw some 33's on Alan Federsons lap timer. (Fast CR from the Midwest) I looked on Mylaps, Dave Pullen pulled the trigger on a low 32 during a WERA race last weekend:wow:

warregl

Thanks guys. It looks like I have some more classes to schedule :). Not that I didn't know that.

And I don't place too much importance on my lap times since there are plenty of other things for me to focus on but I was curious.

Ride safe.

1up5down

Control Rider
warregl;207720 wrote: Thanks guys. It looks like I have some more classes to schedule :). Not that I didn't know that.

And I don't place too much importance on my lap times since there are plenty of other things for me to focus on but I was curious.

Ride safe.

Good to hear you are interested in building skill. Build skill and speed will come!

stow

warregl;207720 wrote: Thanks guys. It looks like I have some more classes to schedule :). Not that I didn't know that.

Ride safe.
Are you coming out to Barber at the end of the month? I will be happy to help you out on the track.

warregl

stow;207727 wrote: Are you coming out to Barber at the end of the month? I will be happy to help you out on the track.
Many thanks for the offer sir, and Barber is on the list to try (I love watching the AMA run there) but it wont be this year. I started a new job this month and I already had to ask for time to go to the track (I had scheduled CSS well before I accepted the offer). I think my boss may be questioning my sanity after hearing about my hobby....

RyanITV

Admin
steve gould;207710 wrote: I only had my lap timer on for a couple of sesions. I was CR'ing I, the group I was with were doing consistent 1:50's. A benchmark for A is a 1:42. The guys I was pitting with were doing 137's to 140's, all A guys. I saw some mid 34's and I saw some 33's on Alan Federsons lap timer. (Fast CR from the Midwest) I looked on Mylaps, Dave Pullen pulled the trigger on a low 32 during a WERA race last weekend:wow:
Taylor and I pulled off a 1:39.16 in B group - while following the rules and waiting for wave-bys. :D

Ryan

Crash_

I was there last weekend in the I group, I noticed on a video of one session where I ran upper 1:47's, low 1:48's, I passed about 10 guys in the session, 3 guys passed me, so I'd like to think I was slightly above average I rider. BTW what a great track!

noobinacan

RyanITV;207767 wrote: Taylor and I pulled off a 1:39.16 in B group - while following the rules and waiting for wave-bys. :D

Ryan
Wow...and Taylor's on a pretty much stock R6 isn't he ?
and that 32 from Dave Pullen..that's on a 600 as well right ?

RyanITV

Admin
noobinacan;207798 wrote: Wow...and Taylor's on a pretty much stock R6 isn't he ?
and that 32 from Dave Pullen..that's on a 600 as well right ?
Yep - Taylor's still got the street plastics on. :D

Not sure on Pullen... I think so.

Ryan

bluers

warregl;208213 wrote: Wow. Maybe I should have asked "what's too slow for B group" :wow:
Me! :mad: I want a group of guys with their right hand in a cast and on Ruckus's. Then I will be fast!

Only done six trackdays so far, but I am finally starting to find my groove and getting faster while cleaning up my lines. Still have a lot of work to do, but I look forward to making improvments every time out.

Bryant

He who isn't afraid, isn't trying hard enough.
I've done a total of 6 days so far at the track. I'm in I group now. I'll let you know what time I'm running there.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I'm curious to see what I can pull off there riding my R6. Never been there since last year when I ended the season with an awesome 9 million foot long low side going into turn 1 riding in the rain on Q2's.

Anyone know off hand roughly I should be aiming at to even have a remote chance to get on the podium for a WERA C Superstock race? It's probably going to be about 4 seconds faster than what I can do. Seems to be about the average for every other track.