Learning new track in I group

bboynicku

Hey Guys just wanted to get some tips for learning track in I group. In B i would line up to the right at the back and the pase was slow enough that i could usually be up to speed in couple sessions. But this weekend will be my first full day in I group and Summit Jefferson and Shennendoah will both be new to me...I'll do the same, lining up at the right and the back but any other tips? I don't want to cause any sort of hazard on the track but being really slow in I trying to learn. Any tips from A, I, or CRs learning new tracks?? thanks!

fyi...I usually go out first session and just look for and try and hit apexes, then second session braking markers and build from there. Also look at a lot of track footage and video on youtube before hand

andykurz

1. Tell a CR you are new to the track
2. Follow CR

This is not uncommon, you will be fine. Don't stress.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
What you were doing was successful in getting you this far...don't change.

You've outlined a general solid approach....keep to the plan.

matt2212

What both of these guys said is spot on

keep with your plan, you got to I group becouse you have the skills to be there, relax have fun and stick to your game plan.

BTW the ability to learn a new track is a skill that will do you lots of good as you advance

z064life

You think it's bad for I....get to A and learn a new track lol. It's really the same with every group.

Remember you are in a faster group but that also means they should be more controlled. It is their responsibility to go around you. Never worry about holding them up or you will just end up doing something unexpected and that is when bad things happen. Go out, ride your ride and learn the track. I'm sure you won't be the only one there learning the track and NESBA hasn't run Shennendoah in a long time (if ever) so I'm positive a lot of people will be learning that one anyway.

I can't agree more with what has been said here. I got a new bike over the winter and had the exact same plan as you. I rode one day at Barber in April and stuck to that plan. The next time I got on the bike was RA in May. I got cocky, thinking I had it down and highsided in turn 5. Stick to your game plan and you will be fine. Don't make my mistake!!!!! Have fun, Don't wreck. I got that from one of my favorite CR's and most of the time I stick to it. I think it's the best advice I've ever gotten. I just gotta remember that I'm the one in control of the machine and it won't do anything wrong if I just use my head and ride within my skill set.

D-Zum

griffonrider;278477 wrote: I can't agree more with what has been said here. I got a new bike over the winter and had the exact same plan as you. I rode one day at Barber in April and stuck to that plan. The next time I got on the bike was RA in May. I got cocky, thinking I had it down and highsided in turn 5. Stick to your game plan and you will be fine. Don't make my mistake!!!!! Have fun, Don't wreck. I got that from one of my favorite CR's and most of the time I stick to it. I think it's the best advice I've ever gotten. I just gotta remember that I'm the one in control of the machine and it won't do anything wrong if I just use my head and ride within my skill set.
That's a BAD place to high-side..I lost the front there a few years ago and had "fun" tumbling through the gravel trap...came to a stop about 2 feet from the air fence.

I had a broken right toe before the crash..broke my left little toe in the crash...ended up with both feet black and blue.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
bboynicku;278427 wrote:

fyi...I usually go out first session and just look for and try and hit apexes, then second session braking markers and build from there. Also look at a lot of track footage and video on youtube before hand
In addition to your plan, try to hook up with a CR for a tow.

D-Zum;278491 wrote: That's a BAD place to high-side..I lost the front there a few years ago and had "fun" tumbling through the gravel trap...came to a stop about 2 feet from the air fence.

I had a broken right toe before the crash..broke my left little toe in the crash...ended up with both feet black and blue.
OUCH!!!! I bet walking was "fun" for a while eh? I ended up with a small stress fracture in my left forearm. Ya know, I really can't think of a GOOD place to highside. Are you coming to the fundraiser? We can swap stories.

OP, Relax, and ride your ride. I tell myself this as well. I seldom take my own advice though :D It's wild inside my head sometimes. I think it's got something to do with all those drugs in the late 60's, and 70's, and maybe some in the 80's. :notsure:

D-Zum

griffonrider;278510 wrote: OUCH!!!! I bet walking was "fun" for a while eh? I ended up with a small stress fracture in my left forearm. Ya know, I really can't think of a GOOD place to highside. Are you coming to the fundraiser? We can swap stories.

OP, Relax, and ride your ride. I tell myself this as well. I seldom take my own advice though :D It's wild inside my head sometimes. I think it's got something to do with all those drugs in the late 60's, and 70's, and maybe some in the 80's. :notsure:
I'll be there Saturday and Sunday.

mike574

Get out there first session of the day and be one of the first guys out. That is when every one is taking it easy and you can take those first 2 or 3 laps to see where the track goes.

noobinacan

1) ride it with a bicycle the day before/night before. - Friday. do a few laps.
3) ride it again on Saturday.
2) do a weekend

Print a map and take it with you..take notes

Meat

Like D-Zum mentioned, the skills that earned you a spot in I-group, will keep you safe at a new track. Sure, you will be a little off-pace but I don't know anyone that doesn't enjoy passing a safe predictable rider.

The big thing is to not rush yourself trying to keep up with others. Take your time, be super consistent and your conference and pace will develop as the sessions add up.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Ask a CR for a tow, explain your situation. I'm facing the same issue at RA this coming weekend, only in A group. Still going to ask around for someone to help set up a couple of laps at a moderate pace, just so i can follow. Take a whole day if you need it to come up to speed. You're there to learn and have fun so let the other riders do their job and figure out how to pass you.