Leathers with Air Bags? Other Safety Gear?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
What's wrong with your RS Taichi suit? They're up there amongst the best suits....
If it needs repairing, send it to Lizzy Leather

OH, never mind, you want an air suit....carry on....

borislav

Control Rider
Eddie having GOOD protective gear is a paramount BUT DON'T overthink this and reason for me saying this is that every get off is specific for it self! What I'm trying to say is you go down in $600 suit in certain crash and you may sustained no injuries, you go down in $1500 suit and you may get injured pretty bad! Who knows how gear is going to protect you during the crash!? NOBODY so the best way to protect yourself is not to crash at all, not trying to sound like asshole, but also being equipped properly in case it happen is always good!
Heal up brother and I'll see you at Lightning in October, what you say!?

LOrtega

Control Rider
Ruhe52;287549 wrote: How about head protection Arai!!!!!! Sorry Lou.
No need to apologize, if someone does not fit a Shoei, I always point them to Arai.
With the data I get to see I can't really knock the protection level.

You should never limit yourself to one of the other the fitment is extremely important,
Once you find the right shape and fitment, you can't go wrong with either brand..

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
motorkas;287714 wrote: Will do!!!!!!!!!!! (even if you got something for it, I'd still do it. . .you had me at "buying a helmet and then spending and extra 100.00 on new cheek pads and top liner. . .:)
Just to be crystal-clear, even if it's obvious: If you purchase the helmet from the Service Pavilion, the custom fit and swapping of pads is no extra charge. If you've purchased your helmet elsewhere and take it to them for a fitting, I would expect to pay for pads.

meowculpa

Can these be fixed, track-side , if the airbag deploys ? and how expensive is replacing those pressurized cartridges?

This is a good topic. Most riders gear their bikes with an eye to salvage a weekend in the event of a minor spill. ( premium bodywork , frame sliders , clip ons , case savers, popular rearsets and so on - even buy popular bikes for the availability of spare parts..) . It beats the purpose, to have an airbag suit which deploys in a minor spill and cannot be fixed track-side. You then have a suit that's vulnerable, even though it's usable, to make it through the weekend.

I haven't much knowledge on how to replace the pressurized cartridges , so take this with a grain of salt. (perhaps, it can be done inexpensively / easily).

EddieRo

borislav;287770 wrote: Eddie having GOOD protective gear is a paramount BUT DON'T overthink this and reason for me saying this is that every get off is specific for it self! What I'm trying to say is you go down in $600 suit in certain crash and you may sustained no injuries, you go down in $1500 suit and you may get injured pretty bad! Who knows how gear is going to protect you during the crash!? NOBODY so the best way to protect yourself is not to crash at all, not trying to sound like asshole, but also being equipped properly in case it happen is always good!
Heal up brother and I'll see you at Lightning in October, what you say!?
Bo, appreciate the honest feedback and expect nothing less. What you are saying is certainly true. I am sure I am over thinking this, just want to be informed about the safety gear so I can make the best decisions moving forward. The best thing I can do is improve my riding to minimize the number of times I put myself in this situation.

Yes, I am definitely trying to make Lightning in October if not NJMP by the end of the month :)

Need to begin fixing the bike so we'll see. My old R1 is running on 3 cylinders otherwise I'd just run that for now. Have two bikes to fix as well as a foot! :dunno:

Last Week

Ive seen the air vest deployed at ncbike as a demonstation. It took 2 minutes to tuck the expansion material, and reinsert new co2 cartridge.

This is my next safety purchase.

Cost is 400 I believe with extra cartridge.

Additional cartridge is 20 bucks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

EddieRo

meowculpa;287811 wrote: Can these be fixed, track-side , if the airbag deploys ? and how expensive is replacing those pressurized cartridges?

This is a good topic. Most riders gear their bikes with an eye to salvage a weekend in the event of a minor spill. ( premium bodywork , frame sliders , clip ons , case savers, popular rearsets and so on - even buy popular bikes for the availability of spare parts..) . It beats the purpose, to have an airbag suit which deploys in a minor spill and cannot be fixed track-side. You then have a suit that's vulnerable, even though it's usable, to make it through the weekend.

I haven't much knowledge on how to replace the pressurized cartridges , so take this with a grain of salt. (perhaps, it can be done inexpensively / easily).
I found this thing http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=6890 It says the cartridge can be replaced but of course that depends on the item not being damaged. I thought I saw someone with this at Summit Jefferson. Not sure how this would work with a suit that has a large speed hump. Anyone have one of these?

Sorry that it's at your expense and hope you heal up and get back out there soon Eddie but this is a great Thread !!!

EddieRo

JimmyW;288039 wrote: Sorry that it's at your expense and hope you heal up and get back out there soon Eddie but this is a great Thread !!!
Hope to be back soon. Just ordered some more parts. Seems like every day another brown box arrives at my door. Thanks for the message.

It would be great if there was a vendor that could sponsor some kind of track side demo of all the latest and greatest safety gear.

03bueller

Control Rider
Talking about helmets, I think mine are coming up on 5 years soon, any good place to get fitted in SE VA?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
03bueller;289175 wrote: Talking about helmets, I think mine are coming up on 5 years soon, any good place to get fitted in SE VA?
Nope, but if you like Arai, check out The Service Pavilion, located in New Holland, PA. That's probably too long a drive, but they usually attend the international motorcycle shows and do custom fittings there. They'll have a schedule on their website of shows they'll attend.

andykurz

HondaGalToo;289189 wrote: Nope, but if you like Arai, check out The Service Pavilion, located in New Holland, PA. That's probably too long a drive, but they usually attend the international motorcycle shows and do custom fittings there. They'll have a schedule on their website of shows they'll attend.
And Robert, who runs TSP, is often at NJMP for mini moto racing. I'm sure you can work something out with him if you are coming up this way!

matt2212

HondaGalToo;289189 wrote: Nope, but if you like Arai, check out The Service Pavilion, located in New Holland, PA. That's probably too long a drive, but they usually attend the international motorcycle shows and do custom fittings there. They'll have a schedule on their website of shows they'll attend.
They are great to deal with...

Also they did a custom fitting for me with pictures and measurements via email, hit it spot on and got me into the best fitting helmet I have ever owned

Quick shipping too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Irish01

matt2212;289806 wrote: They are great to deal with...
Also they did a custom fitting for me with pictures and measurements via email, hit it spot on and got me into the best fitting helmet I have ever owned, Quick shipping too, Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
+1 on The Service Pavilion for Arai Lids

sdiver68

Ironically, the 1 local race where I did not wear my Hit-Air vest was the one I crashed. I had just put on new bodywork and forgot about the tether. Needless to say that situation was fixed before the next race. So, I cannot attest to crash effectiveness but I can attest to the fit and ease of use of the racer version even with a hump suit, Pilot in my case.

I did not wear it at Daytona ROC for the races but did for practice. It does create something of a parachute effect at very high speeds. I gained about 3mph top speed taking it off for the races. However, other then very high speed tracks I doubt there is much difference.

I also wear Forcefield back protector and armor shorts under my leathers, Held Phantom gloves, and Alpinestar Supertech R boots.