Less chance of flame here than WERA

justariot66

I have found WERA people to be very helpful as well as Nesbians, because many of you are the same. So heres my question.

Where are the oil galley plugs? It says I can silicone them but I dont know where to look.

Hose clamps? Do I drill the nut that you use to tighten it down, or would safety wire behing the nut in the grooves be OK?

one more think if you please.

It says i have to drill the brake fluid bolts, and it recommends do it on an angle because they are hollow!!!!!
Is there a lot of meat to drill through or am I very likely to puncture the bolt?

Thanks for the help guys, and girls.

JAB3

The galley plugs look like a flush hex head bolt that screws into your engine block. Smear a little rtv around the top of the bolt and they are good
Hose clamps: just thread the safety wire through the closest slot next to the worm gear and tie it to the bolt. The worm gear can not move then
You should have no problem drilling the brake banjo bolts. Just make sure you are drilling the head of the bolt and you are good to go.

What kind of bike are you doing this to? I am sure someone has pics of it wired to help you out.

jtsgsxr6

Drill banjo's like this

drill.jpg

Gallery plugs look like

101_9437.jpg

101_9440.jpg

Now :adore: to my awesome MS Paint skills!

justariot66

AWESOME, thanks a lot.
Unfortunately I have a very uncommon bike and it is highly unlikely anyone here would have one as well.
2007 GSXR 750 :D

Keep pics and thoughts coming, wheels going to Wills tomorrow and saturday I'll be dragging the drill press outta the corner.

Thanks Dave

geckert

justariot66;112468 wrote:

Hose clamps? Do I drill the nut that you use to tighten it down, or would safety wire behing the nut in the grooves be OK?

It says i have to drill the brake fluid bolts, and it recommends do it on an angle because they are hollow!!!!!
Is there a lot of meat to drill through or am I very likely to puncture the bolt?
Where do you see the banjo bolts? I cant find it in the rulebook. I also thought that hose clamps would be enough to secure rad/oil lines???

Suburbanrancher

Hose clamps are enough according to the RB. Here's some other safety wire and silicone examples for you guys; basically I wire the brake pad pins, fill caps and drain plugs, and anything with fluid behind it except for galley plugs which I silicone:

build76.JPG

build83.JPG

justariot66

I have 3 problems with your pics Rancher.
1 Your bike is done and mine isnt.
2 Your bike is too frakin' clean
3 your bike is done!!!!!!

Thanks, now I am off to bed I gotta bring my rims in to get fixed or the safety wire wont really matter.

Bluenvy

i would get those safety wire clip things. i think kurvey girl sells them or something because rewiring wheels and shit every time you change tires is a bitch

tomseviltwin

Control Rider
Ugh, where has this thread been? I've spent hours searching WERA for pictures like this before I finally found some good links. I guess I could have just asked...

Great thread! I'm hoping to finish getting everything safety wired before RA even though I won't need it until June probably. I might track one of you experienced guys down to check out my work down there.

Now if I could just stop breaking drill bits... :banghead:

JAB3

cobalt drill bits with cutting oil and slow even pressure.
toss the drill bit after 3-4 bolts and use a new one.

jtsgsxr6

Suprisingly I have just as good of luck with harbor freight drill bits, packs of 10 for 1.99 I could care less if they break or wear out.

tomseviltwin

Control Rider
I've tried several brands of the cobalt type, bought some cutting oil, and am using a drill press. Still manage to break them. :dunno:

sobottka

i buy six or eight 1/16 inch metal bits, whatever looks best for hardened metal at the hardwhare store. just go very very slow when drilling, hold the drill steady, watch the bit to make sure its spinning straight (not bending or curving) and let the bit do the work. go even slower as the bit pushes through backside. slow is the key, for example- as long as you see little metal shavings comming off the bit, its working. cutting oil? seriously? never heard that for saftey wire but whatever, if it works

JAB3

cutting oil (or some other lubricating oil)=yes some of the bolts are pretty hard metals a drop of oil helps lubricate the bit and keep it cool. :rolleyes:
cobalt bits = for hardened metals

use a drill press when you can... much easier

sobottka

JAB3;112602 wrote: cutting oil (or some other lubricating oil)=yes some of the bolts are pretty hard metals a drop of oil helps lubricate the bit and keep it cool. :rolleyes:
cobalt bits = for hardened metals

use a drill press when you can... much easier
i know what it is and does ...just never needed it

Meat

sobottka;112605 wrote: i know what it is and does ...just never needed it
Nope, don't need it for most small fasteners, but lubricating your cutting tool obviously keeps friction lower. Friction dulls cutters. Heat will also erode the edges of cutters. So, yea, you can pop a rough hole right through some of the steel fasteners but your drill bit will last longer and you will get a cleaner hole with a properly cooled and lubricated drill bit.

I don't always use cutting oil even though my background should dictate that I would. But, if you want any hole drilled properly, you use the proper tools, including lubricants and cooling.

Drill through a little quality stainless like ph13-8 or similar and you will quickly see the importance of lubrication and cooling.

justariot66

Meat;112620 wrote: Nope, don't need it, but lubricating your tool obviously keeps friction lower. So, yea, you can pop a rough hole but you will last longer and you will get a cleaner hole with a properly cooled and lubricated (tool)

But, if you want any hole drilled properly, you use the proper tools, including lubricants and cooling.

you will quickly see the importance of lubrication and cooling.

Fixed it for you meat, now its got a whole....er....hole new meaning. :D