Less chance of flame here than WERA

Meat

Bubba Zanetti;114433 wrote: Not bad Jay.

Your oil plug could be wound tighter.

BZ
:agree:

And nice to see that you wound the wire around the correct side of the fastener. Other than being just a bit loose (but they will still hold), they look good.

jay956

what do you think about doing the brakes and fork like this; since i cant pass the wire all the way through some of the bolts.

DSC00929.jpg

DSC00930.jpg

Meat

People can just about always do a better wiring job, my first one of this season included, but I think it looks good. And it is nice that you have either hex heads or nice cylindrical socket heads. My kawi has some odd shaped fastener heads that make pretty safety wiring much more difficult.

You really are doing great for your first safety wiring job.

dpullen

+1, that looks pretty good. Make sure you drill or put some RTV on your brake pad retaining bolts.

- Dave

gixxercurt

Bubba Zanetti;114433 wrote: Not bad Jay.

Your oil plug could be wound tighter. Just practice. As a fellow B-grouper it's all part of the learning process brother.

BZ
its important not to twist it too tight. if you get carried away it can break while your ridding. as long as you have it drilled to where it holds the bolt from backing out it doesn't necessarily have to be wound really tight. however you def don't need alot of slack

Meat

gixxercurt;115397 wrote: its important not to twist it too tight. if you get carried away it can break while your ridding. as long as you have it drilled to where it holds the bolt from backing out it doesn't necessarily have to be wound really tight. however you def don't need alot of slack
Nor too loose. On items that are rarely taken off and re-wired you can have the possibility of cold working them until failure if they are too loose. But, I would think only the exhaust on a v-twin would be susceptible to this.

When safety wiring by hand the FAA recommends 6 to 8 twists per inch (wire diameter based on hole diameter). I only put that out there as a reference as I had no idea how tight or loose to twist my safety wire.

Meat

BTW: If you want the chapter from the FAA on safty wireing, it is at the link below. Safetying starts on page 19 of 74.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/99c827db9baac81b86256b4500596c4e/$FILE/Chapter%2007.pdf

don't know why the link didn't work. Sorry, you have to copy and paste it into your browser.