Let's talk about gloves.

madriders86

This past weekend I suffered a nasty highside during some spirited street riding. I was fully geared up fortunately, and my only injury is a badly broken wrist. When the doc realized how bad it was he wanted to operate immediately. Woke up with an external fixator in my arm and when that gets removed I'll start physical therapy.
Blah blah blah, the point is I can't help but wonder if I might have come out of it better if I had been wearing better gloves. I was wearing Alpinestars SP-2's...kindve a budget priced gauntlet. They really aren't up to par. I want to protect my wrists better. The GP tech's look nice...what else is out there? I was considering wearing some wrist guards as well.

What race gauntlets have the most badass wrist protection??

Bucky Badger

madriders86;125748 wrote: This past weekend I suffered a nasty highside during some spirited street riding. I was fully geared up fortunately, and my only injury is a badly broken wrist. When the doc realized how bad it was he wanted to operate immediately. Woke up with an external fixator in my arm and when that gets removed I'll start physical therapy.
Blah blah blah, the point is I can't help but wonder if I might have come out of it better if I had been wearing better gloves. I was wearing Alpinestars SP-2's...kindve a budget priced gauntlet. They really aren't up to par. I want to protect my wrists better. The GP tech's look nice...what else is out there? I was considering wearing some wrist guards as well.

What race gauntlets have the most badass wrist protection??
Unfortunately....I feel your pain.

I dislocated my wrist, tore up the ligaments, stretched the median nerve badly and fractured my Scaphoid in two places in a highside at Road Atlanta in early April. Upon seeing my xrays and wrist, my doctor recommended immediate surgery as well.

I was wearing Held Gloves, I consider Held's to be the very best gloves I could purchase for the track and I still suffered the same injury you did. After speaking to the doctor, I believe that the amount of force required to do the damage we both did would require a brace so restrictive that it might inhibit your riding.

Personally, I don't think that wearing anything would have stopped my injury from happening and wearing a wrist brace might very well have led to my forearm breaking instead.

I'm healing up well and the doc is happy with my progress so far and I will be back on the track as soon as he even HINTS that I can go.

Good luck to you in your recovery...I hope it fully heals and does so quickly!

P.S. I'm gonna ride the hell out of Road Atlanta when I get back!!

jcrich

Same experience here. Highside in Turn 5 at Barber in 07. Wearing Held gloves, fractured the top of the radius bone at the wrist. As Brian said the gloves can only do so much and cannot prevent a blunt force injury like landing on your wrist after getting launched off the bike.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
Most wrist fractures are a result of our nature protective mechanism to put our hands out in case of a fall. Typically, the result is a Colle's fracture (distal fracture of the radius and ulna).not too much ya can do for this considering our hobby requires fine motor control at the wrist and hand. This compared to snowboarders, who do not need the fine motor control, hence some snowboarding gloves now have a hard polymer brace that sticks up on the palm side of the wrist to help prevent such a fracture.

madriders86

Bucky Badger;125754 wrote: Unfortunately....I feel your pain.

I dislocated my wrist, tore up the ligaments, stretched the median nerve badly and fractured my Scaphoid in two places in a highside at Road Atlanta in early April. Upon seeing my xrays and wrist, my doctor recommended immediate surgery as well.

I was wearing Held Gloves, I consider Held's to be the very best gloves I could purchase for the track and I still suffered the same injury you did. After speaking to the doctor, I believe that the amount of force required to do the damage we both did would require a brace so restrictive that it might inhibit your riding.

Personally, I don't think that wearing anything would have stopped my injury from happening and wearing a wrist brace might very well have led to my forearm breaking instead.

I'm healing up well and the doc is happy with my progress so far and I will be back on the track as soon as he even HINTS that I can go.

Good luck to you in your recovery...I hope it fully heals and does so quickly!

P.S. I'm gonna ride the hell out of Road Atlanta when I get back!!

Your injury sounds very similar to mine...Don't rush it though man, and good luck to you too.

These look promising:
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=6959
The price isn't bad either...

But I kinda have to agree. It's difficult to protect a joint like that that also needs freedom of movement.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
The gloves can only protect you in a slide situation, when it comes to high impact on your wrist there's not much that can be done.

Both you guys have a speedy recovery!! God bless

some guy #2

Gear can only do so much and when the body part you're trying to protect needs a lot of movement you sacrifice support for control. The only piece of gear made specifically to absorb an impact is your helmet.

madriders86

;)
some guy #2;125834 wrote: Gear can only do so much and when the body part you're trying to protect needs a lot of movement you sacrifice support for control. The only piece of gear made specifically to absorb an impact is your helmet.
Uh then what about chest protectors, back protectors, arm, shoulder, leg armor,etc, and leatt braces ?

ZLTFUL

madriders86;125876 wrote: ;)

Uh then what about chest protectors, back protectors, arm, shoulder, leg armor,etc, and leatt braces ?
Chest, back, arm, shoulder, and leg armor are indeed designed to distribute impacts over a larger area reducing the chance of injury.

Leatt Braces on the other hand are not meant to mitigate impact but to reduce the effects of sudden whiplash like movements of the neck/upper spine.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming. :D

zuluhour

this is the only other glove i can think of that has specific wrist protection, A* GP Tech

Alpinestars_GPtech09_Gloves_black_LG.jpg

Just based on looks it appears similar to their less expensive GP Plus glove (that I own) only with protective shielding around the wrist.

But I have to agree with what's already being said, to avoid your type of injury you would need some sort of protective apparatus that would make control of the bike near impossible. I've never experienced one personally but it seems any kind of highside is gonna end up in tears.

dbakerpa

I work in orthopedics -and you have increased risk of carpal bone injury with the wrist supports (small wrist bones). These fractures are infinitely worse than a radius fracture. But they all suck. I have yet to see an articulated polycarbonate glove that would be ideal.
If you find a good glove that protects the wrist send the link.

madriders86

Ah thank you for posting! One of the things that was pretty messed up was the carpal tunnel...(I suppose this is a name given to a group of bones). But I definitely wouldn't want to wear something that would have made that even worse.

Are you an orthapedic surgeon?

As for gloves...what do you think about the knox handroid? I posted the link on the other page.

dbakerpa

naw- I am a PA and work with an orthopedic surgeon. Carpal tunnel is common after wrist fractures. Easy quick fix surgery with a 2 week recovery. It is from increased scar tissue in the area of the nerve that goes to your thumb index and index-ring finger. The knox gloves look great. They will not prevent the hyperextension/flexion motion that causes the distal radius and ulna fractures. But they look like they have padding to prevent a blunt force fracture.
The doc I work with rides too. You would think we would have more sense huh?

madriders86

Who needs sense anyways :p Thank you for the input, you actually answered a couple of quuestions that were in the back of my mind.