Let's talk about using the rear brake

domarena33

Track Day Superstar
Hi everyone. I haven't seen anyone discussing this. I have heard quite a bit of varied opinions about the rear brake. One person may not even look at it while on track, other people will use it and are effective at using it. If you use it, why? When? Can I scrub speed with it mid corner? If so, will this allow me to work the front of the bike harder? And anything else...

domarena33

Track Day Superstar
I've never heard of him until just now. It looks like he raced AMA superbike for a few. I'd say if it's someone faster than you on the same machinery, they're doing something better and it's worth your time.

MK3Brent

Treebeard
On a scale of Dave Moss to someone worth listening to, where does Ken Hill fall?
I'd say listen to what he has to say, and make your own opinion.
I find his approach and coaching methodology to be very effective for me.

kbowker

Brakes only slow you down. Sorry, I had to throw that old chestnut in there. 20+ years ago, Keith Code and California Superbike School and some others taught when and where to use the rear brake. It was mostly used as an occasional tool for very fast riders to make fine adjustments to the bike or their racing line in certain corners. Most of the time it’s never used by most riders unless they run off the tarmac and are now on the grass or gravel.

I’m probably biased but Ken Hill rates much higher in my book than Dave Moss.

Ken Hill’s in the MA paddock as a team principal and a sought after coach amongst race-winning riders. During winter training last season I bumped into Ken coaching an MA racer at a track and he (Ken) was within a second of the lap record. I don’t hear anything like that about Dave Moss.

Dave Moss does have something to offer (suspension advice) but I think he’s mainly popular amongst folks who are just getting started or who need remote support. My sense from forum chatter is Dave Moss will have his customers thinking they need to keep coming back to him for micro-adjustments (engineered dependency). I prefer to deal with folks that are going to sell me a service that includes training for self-sufficiency.

If I need better suspension help than what I’ve got at my local shop, I’ll find Kendall from TTT (kendall@tripletsuspension.com) or go to Dave at Pitlane Moto. Face-to-face service almost always beats online consultation.

All that said, I sincerely wish Dave Moss a successful battle against his health issues and a speedy recovery.

domarena33

Track Day Superstar
Thanks Brent for the post. I finally got the chance to listen to it. I gained a few pointers to try out and he actually confirmed what I said previously about front tire loading.

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Thanks Brent for the post. I finally got the chance to listen to it. I gained a few pointers to try out and he actually confirmed what I said previously about front tire loading.
Awesome.
In another podcast he was asked again about the rear brake, and his response was along the lines of "Yes, of course the rear brake is something to learn and use... but if what we did out on the motorcycle had 1,000 things to work on, the rear brake would be number 996." lol.

In champ school, we are also taught on the use of the rear brake as a means to slow the weight transfer. There's probably a good video online about that as well... Let me see.

MK3Brent

Treebeard
I’m probably biased but Ken Hill rates much higher in my book than Dave Moss.

Ken Hill’s in the MA paddock as a team principal and a sought after coach amongst race-winning riders. During winter training last season I bumped into Ken coaching an MA racer at a track and he (Ken) was within a second of the lap record. I don’t hear anything like that about Dave Moss.

Dave Moss does have something to offer (suspension advice) but I think he’s mainly popular amongst folks who are just getting started or who need remote support. My sense from forum chatter is Dave Moss will have his customers thinking they need to keep coming back to him for micro-adjustments (engineered dependency). I prefer to deal with folks that are going to sell me a service that includes training for self-sufficiency.

If I need better suspension help than what I’ve got at my local shop, I’ll find Kendall from TTT (kendall@tripletsuspension.com) or go to Dave at Pitlane Moto. Face-to-face service almost always beats online consultation.

All that said, I sincerely wish Dave Moss a successful battle against his health issues and a speedy recovery.
You coming to CMP next weekend? :cool:

domarena33

Track Day Superstar
I know its not directed towards me but i'll be there. If you're there brent, I look forward to meeting and riding with you.

domarena33

Track Day Superstar
Cool. I wont be there until Saturday morning but we'll get together. Doing the ATP, I've heard its great. I went through YCRS in 2016 and it was fantastic. I heard this is similar