Liability Insurance for Track Days

Pilot2

Is liability insurance for track-days available, and if so, from whom?

As you may know, at least one company, Progressive, amended its insurance policies so in addition to excluding coverage for racing and exhibition riding, they now exclude coverage for any "closed course" activity; so much for track day coverage.

JRA

I saw this post over on the WERA board last night and I'm not sure where you are going with this. You got some answers over there and didn't seem to like them.

In addition to a similar waiver that you sign when entering the gate here is what you sign when you ride with NESBA. The insurance companies wouldn't let us use this wording if it wouldn't hold up. And BTW, based on your thread on the WERA board please introduce yourself when you ride with us again, I'm going to have you sign at least two of these things, lol.:D

RELEASE:_______________________________________________________________________________,
hereby release, and agree to hold harmless, the Northeast Sportbike Association, Inc., the promoters, the
owners and the lessees of the premises, the participants, and the officers, directors, officials, representatives,
sponsors, agents and employees of them all, of and from all liability, loss, claims and demands that may accrue
from any loss damage or injury (including death, loss of limb and permanent disability) to my person or property,
in any way resulting from, or arising in connection with this event, and whether arising while whatsoever, I know
the risk and danger to myself and property while upon said premises or while engaged in an event or preparation
therefore, or while upon said premises or while participating or assisting in this event, so voluntary and in
reliance, upon my own judgment and ability, I thereby assume all risk for loss, damage or injury (including death,
loss of limbs and permanent disability to myself and my property) from any cause whatsoever.
AGREEMENT: By my signature below, I hereby agree to the terms of the above release and further agree to
abide by the Northeast Sportbike Association Riders’ Manual and any special regulations in all participation with
this event. I certify that all of the above information, including my age, identity, and experience, is true and freely
given for the purpose of participating in this track event and that I have no medical conditions that could impair
my ability to operate a vehicle in this event.

Pilot2

JRA;235454 wrote: I saw this post over on the WERA board last night and I'm not sure where you are going with this. You got some answers over there and didn't seem to like them. [/B]
I didn't think my question was complicated, I just wanted to know if liability insurance for a track riding is available and if so from whom. Instead, I get the inquisition questions, why do you think you need it, are you a careless rider type responses. :banghead: Regarding your multi-forum monitoring, I am not sure where you are going with this. Sometimes the person with an answer might only be hanging-out in one forum. Plus, certain forums offer specific advantages over other forums, for example I love the NESBA for sale section compared to the pay-to-sell system seen in at least one other forum. ;)

Morrand

Anything is available, so long as you are willing to pay for it.

Chances are very good that you do not need liability insurance for the track, however.

noobinacan

your question doesn't make any sense...hence the kind of responses you got. honestly I'm surprised it didn't turn into a riot over there...
cause next question back to you would be: who are you planning to take out ?
both communities, WERA, NESBA or any org in this sport are a wrong place to pitch this kind of question to and puts people on the edge.

There is a lot of pre-emptive effort and energy spent on safety and avoidance with in the whole paddock.
As explained in the riders meeting and all the honest effort put into it; to communicate safe behavior, pit speeds, track entry and track& pit etiquette ++

so, its just a wrong question to ask...

Pilot2

noobinacan;235570 wrote: your question doesn't make any sense...so, its just a wrong question to ask...
When it comes to a person's finances, what they have to loose if they make a mistake, what they feel their financial responsibilities are toward someone they might injure irrespective of how a release agreement may or may not protect them, each person must make their own decisions regarding such matters. So, I will be my own counsel on those issues. ;)

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Morrand;235564 wrote: Anything is available, so long as you are willing to pay for it.

Chances are very good that you do not need liability insurance for the track, however.
I have no clue who the original poster is, and am about as clueless as the next air head, but I don't see how it's a bad question. And regarding your quote...if I'm a safe driver on the road, why would I need insurance there? I mean, everyone on the road has a license, right? :dunno: Obviously, there aren't 16 year old teens texting on their phones on the track, but you get the idea. :D

My only thought for the original question is that if you need liability insurance, just find a company that'll give you liability insurance only? Read the fine print, if they specifically don't cover closed courses, find another company. I don't see the harm in a guy wanting some extra "cover your ass" coverage.

I find it hard to fault the guy, when we live in a world that sues when you spill hot coffee on yourself. :banghead:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Rasta;235581 wrote:
HondaGalToo;235450 said:
Never mind[/QUOTE

Judy.................Hilarious
Hahaha, no time to try at an intelligent response, so I just deleted it. I have a 929 rear brake master cylinder to try and rebuild. :D

Let me just say that it's not a bad question, but the liabilty waiver that JRA posted covers it, and the day we start bringing in insurance companies, lawyers, and start suing each other is the day that racing and trackdays will cease to exist. That's all I've got, I'm no insurance expert.

JRA

HondaGalToo;235597 wrote:
Rasta;235581 said:
Hahaha, no time to try at an intelligent response, so I just deleted it. I have a 929 rear brake master cylinder to try and rebuild. :D

Let me just say that it's not a bad question, but the liabilty waiver that JRA posted covers it, and the day we start bringing in insurance companies, lawyers, and start suing each other is the day that racing and trackdays will cease to exist. That's all I've got, I'm no insurance expert.
If you like to snow ski or snow board it seems like having liability insurance for that sport would be more necessary. Think about all the activities you participate in and the chance that you might have liability if someone else were to get hurt...In the extreme you could even extend this out to golf or tennis.

Hambone

This is just a stupid question, but has anyone ever filed a lawsuit against anther rider? These days law suits are getting more and more ridiculous. If a rider was carrying liability insurance and then caused a crash at the track, would that solve the lawsuit problem? I understand that things like this happen and would never even consider suing another rider but that is just me. I am just curious.

Hambone

JRA;235454 wrote:

RELEASE:_______________________________________________________________________________,
hereby release, and agree to hold harmless, the Northeast Sportbike Association, Inc., the promoters, the
owners and the lessees of the premises, the participants, and the officers, directors, officials, representatives,
sponsors, agents and employees of them all, of and from all liability, loss, claims and demands that may accrue
from any loss damage or injury (including death, loss of limb and permanent disability) to my person or property,
in any way resulting from, or arising in connection with this event, and whether arising while whatsoever, I know
the risk and danger to myself and property while upon said premises or while engaged in an event or preparation
therefore, or while upon said premises or while participating or assisting in this event, so voluntary and in
reliance, upon my own judgment and ability, I thereby assume all risk for loss, damage or injury (including death,
loss of limbs and permanent disability to myself and my property) from any cause whatsoever
AGREEMENT: By my signature below, I hereby agree to the terms of the above release and further agree to
abide by the Northeast Sportbike Association Riders’ Manual and any special regulations in all participation with
this event. I certify that all of the above information, including my age, identity, and experience, is true and freely
given for the purpose of participating in this track event and that I have no medical conditions that could impair
my ability to operate a vehicle in this event.
This answers it for me!

noobinacan

Pilot2;235580 wrote: When it comes to a person's finances, what they have to loose if they make a mistake, what they feel their financial responsibilities are toward someone they might injure irrespective of how a release agreement may or may not protect them, each person must make their own decisions regarding such matters. So, I will be my own counsel on those issues. ;)
I'm not directing this to you, but someone can have all the $$$ and insurance in their world, but if their attitude and mentality sucks, it will be irrelevant.

once again, not directed at you, but if someone walks by and goes:
For my next track day, I'm going to make sure I have liability insurance cause I might take someone out

to me it sounds like:
For my next track day, I'm going to make sure I have liability insurance cause I ride like a tool and someone's definitely getting collected.

JRA;235599 wrote:
HondaGalToo;235597 said:
If you like to snow ski or snow board it seems like having liability insurance for that sport would be more necessary. Think about all the activities you participate in and the chance that you might have liability if someone else were to get hurt...In the extreme you could even extend this out to golf or tennis.

on the slopes....sometimes I wish I had my camera on me.
you won't believe some of the collections that happen on the bunny hill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PANxyodl-Q

Pilot2

JRA;235599 wrote:
HondaGalToo;235597 said:
I already have liability insurance for snowboarding, sking, golf and tennis as those activities are automatically covered under the standard liability provisions of my Homeowner's policy. But Homowner policies don't cover motor vehicles.

Regarding NOOBICAN'S ongoing remarks that a person can have all the "... insurance in their world, but if their attitude and mentality sucks, it will be irrelevant..." Do any of us need to hear THAT, isn't that COMMONS SENSE? There is NO END to where we can go with NOOBICAN'S position... OH, you have BOAT liability insurance, this could be evidence that your "ATTITUDE AND MENTALITY SUCKS" and on and on. I didn't start the thread to ask about COMMON SENSE, I asked if anyone knew about the availability of liability insurance for track activities. :banghead:

jcrich

I already have liability insurance for snowboarding, sking, golf and tennis as those activities are automatically covered under the standard liability provisions of my Homeowner's policy. But Homowner policies don't cover motor vehicles.
I am curious about this statement. How does your standard home owners liability insurance cover these activities not on your covered property?

dbakerpa

Liability coverage should not be needed because of the inherent risk of the joint activity on the track. If you hurt someone by accident it is also at your peril with equal and known risk of injury or death. NO court would hear that case.

Pilot2

jcrich;235811 wrote: I am curious about this statement. How does your standard home owners liability insurance cover these activities not on your covered property?
Call your insurance agent and see what liability protection you have in your state for events not on your home's property. See, i.e. here

thumpin250

Brandon Parish got something going for racers/trackers. It's not over the moon insurance by any means, but with my limited understanding of coverages i took it as it'll keep u out of financial ruin if you get more then a broken bone or two.

RiderSurance.com

Tel: 502.253.6747