Liberty Motorsports Park

fitz

Nelson has a ton of bumps, mismatched pavement and lacks some run off in a couple of places. I like the track and its Deliverance motif but because of its issues I just don't enjoy it as much as other tracks. Last time NESBA had one there it was canceled from lack of enrollment.

Indy would be cool, I would "pay" to go there at least once a year, but I think it’s the cost factor that's probably holding us back from going there.

Pocono, I would like to go at least once but no one seems to want to.

I would be willing to try any track at least once.

fitz

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
betarace;187253 wrote: brings up an interesting question though... what about underused existing tracks. I remember as a kid going to LimeRock in CT and watching IMSA Camel GT racing. A quick troll on you tube shows a great track, but armco everywhere (boo hoo) and very scary which is a shame. Check this video for a "drive thru" at a slow pace to get a feel... that turn in the back before the elevation change is totally hairball http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu5B3cOT5ns&feature=related

anyway, back to point, are there other already existing tracks that can be utilized?
Loudon
Nelson Ledges
Pocono
Daytona
indy
Gingerman
Grattan
Talladega
Homestead
Moroso
Sebring
St. Pete
Roebling Road
Victory Lane

here are several "planned" in Mid-Atlantic that seem to be in suspended animation
http://www.alpinesignature.com/
http://www.dragonsridge.com/
http://highrockmc.com/home.aspx

the scrap heap of tracks that planned/never was is high (a sampling)
Autodrome (Staten Island, proposed)
Empire Motorsports (Stewart AFB, Newburgh NY)
Griffiths AFB, Rome, NY (updated 10/21/07)
Mid Atlantic Race Complex, Riverhead, NY (updated 10/20/07)
New York State Fairgrounds (road course), Syracuse, NY (updated 10/20/07)
Suffolk County Motorsports Park, Brookhaven, NY (updated 10/27/07)
Formula Motorsports Park, Reading, PA, (proposed road course)
Brandy Station VA (updated 3/19/05)
Genoa City Project, Genoa City, WI (new 7/30/07)

Utilized for us to ride on?
I've been to Loudon. For the length of the trip, I don't think it's worth it. 8 hours (and it would be a really horrible drive on 95) will get me to better places, or at least close to them...like BeaveRun or VIR.

Pocono sucks. 'Nuff said. I'm glad I don't have to go there anymore. It's only appeal is that it was close, but now NJMP is nearly as close.

Grattan - I love Grattan! Unfortunately, STT has "exclusive rights", or at least they did, so that's why we aren't running there any longer.

I might make the drive to ride Daytona once, just for the history.

Indy, same.

I also like Mid-O and hope we can go back there.

Don't know anything about the others you listed.

To your list of failed tracks, add Rausch Creek, PA.

fitz

HondaGalToo;187269 wrote: I also like Mid-O and hope we can go back there.
Let's plan on going there in June, which works best for you June 6,7 or 27,28? :)

I plan on doing one of those days, anyone else?

fitz

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
fitz;187273 wrote: Let's plan on going there in June, which works best for you June 6,7 or 27,28? :)

fitz
You know something I don't? :notsure:

fitz

HondaGalToo;187277 wrote: You know something I don't? :notsure:
Lol, you can just ride with the track itself you know. We wouldn't be riding with a competitor, nor is there a NESBA track day on those days, so I think the NESBA spirits will forgive us. :)

Looks like a great track, can't wait.

fitz

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
fitz;187279 wrote: Lol, you can just ride with the track itself you know. We wouldn't be riding with a competitor, nor is there a NESBA track day on those days, so I think the NESBA spirits will forgive us. :)

Looks like a great track, can't wait.

fitz
Oh, yeah, I do know that! Mid-O is running the motorcycle days themselves, have been for a couple seasons now, I think. :D At first I thought some dates may have appeared on the nesba schedule!

noupf

ninjamansc;191269 wrote: Yep. This too:

"DiSalvo Speaks At Reception For Proposed Liberty Bell Motorsports Park In Pennsylvania"
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=44531

It would be great if it actually keeps rolling, but I'll believe it when I see it.
I agree, but it seems that the usual suspects that keep these types of facilities from being built have been over come. Its the up-roar that the opponents ( local community ) to these places that force them to never get built. From what they say, Liberty Bell has won their court battles and apparently they can not be dragged back to court.

Keep your fingers crossed !

rk97

I'll be more enthused when it costs less than $40 to tow a single axle trailer across PA. I get hit with nearly $100 in tolls (round trip) to ride NJMP, so liberty bell won't be much better!

Buckeye96

fitz;187273 wrote: Let's plan on going there in June, which works best for you June 6,7 or 27,28? :)

fitz
I would be interested in the 27,28 dates.

msanna

Hi all, thought I might chime in and see if there's any questions I can answer on Liberty Bell.
Quick history on Liberty Bell, project started 12 years ago with a few sketch plans. At one point it was introduced as a super speedway and when that happened it got hit with a huge amount of resistance.
After over 66 hearings...(Limerick Nuclear Power Plant had under 28..)we received our zoning approval.
Berks County overturned our zoning approval, to which we fought them in commonwealth court and won.
They then took it to the supreme court level, and the courts would not hear the case and upheld the commonwealth decision.
Finally the zoning was cleared in August of 2010.

We are now in the land development process, and to dispel any rumors, we are targeting a ground breaking in early 2012.
Obviously we aren't sinking our funds and resources in to a fancy website yet, so the fact that it referenced Memorial Day was just poor use of spacing, it was meant to mean that more news was being released by Memorial Day, not the park being open.

About the target date, as anyone in the land development industry can tell you, there is no way of ever nailing down an exact date for when you'll get that last signature on the last page of the last document so you can break ground. There's speculation, and even if you execute your plan perfectly, in a small town like ours all you need is to have one or two guys on the board take vacation and it can set you back a few months because of a lack of quorum. Add in all the other factors that can slow you down and it really is a moving target.
The important thing is that Mr. Mascaro is supremely dedicated to making this project a reality and we're doing everything possible to get the track open as soon as possible....without rushing it. We've all seen what happens when you rush projects of this capacity, bad things happen. Pair that with trying to be good responsible neighbors and you can imagine its a fine line we have to walk daily.

At any rate, other than Mr. Mascaro, I'm not sure there is anyone that wants this track to open more than the staff here at LBMP!

Again, if anyone has any questions, please feel free to post them up, you won't hurt anyone's feelings, trust me, we are quite aware of the failed projects out there as well as the tracks we may be compared to.

To seeing you all at the track sooner than later, Cheers!

Marco Sanna
LBMP

Buckeye96

Why is Berks county pushing back so hard? I would think that they would welcome the revenue and taxes the track would bring in.

rk97

Buckeye96;191341 wrote: Why is Berks county pushing back so hard? I would think that they would welcome the revenue and taxes the track would bring in.
Depending on the age of the residents, they may view the increased noise and traffic as more of a hassle than the potential tax revenue is worth.

elderly citizens get out and vote. Tax dollars mostly go towards schools that the elderly get virtually no benefit from.

msanna

I wouldn't necessarily say the 'county' is pushing back, it was more of a few local residents that leaned heavily on some local representatives and played the saving farm land card. With the recent economic impact analysis released, it should show the true validity to something of this nature for Berks County. For reference, there were some statistics released last year for the Indy/Grand-Am event at Barber and it showed that there was $52M injected in to the city of Birmingham from that event alone. Those are numbers you can't ignore, and although we don't intend to have any events to that magnitude for a few years, the construction period of the project is estimated to create 633 jobs and inject $92M in to Berks County.

Again, it's more the NIMBY's that were vocal and not the supporters locally, but the tides have changed and we are really looking forward to developing a strong relationship with the township.

1literduceater

I still revert back to my last comment!!

I have lived in this county on and off for 20+ years. This "elders" from this area are as stubborn as they are dumb. Politics and ignornace just dont mix well. Job creation and revenue is something this county really needs.

Best of luck guys. I am really pulling for you.